News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also thanks from me for the additions. :cheers:

Sergey, i would be happy, if i could speak half as good russian as you speak english. No worries, we understand you very well, which goes for our other russian members too. And if we don?t understand, we will ask ;)

Gerd

Thanks for good words. I am glad

Yes misters surprisingly even for Russian your knowledge of Russian. Also it is a shame that so badly I know English

Sergey,

Your English is just fine!!! I can't speak or write Russian and I'm trying to learn to read it. So, your understanding of English is 100% better than my understanding of Russian.

:beer: Doc

• 8 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

петлицы - Collar Tabs

Бескозырка - Sailor's visorless (Donald Duck) cap

новодел - Newly made, but perhaps with a combination of old material and/or original components.

Attributes of фуражка - Visor cap (peak cap):

Visor ? козырёк

Chinstrap ? ремешок (or подбородочный ремешок)

Ink stamp - штамп

Sweatband ? I don?t know a simple word for it, but generally it?s; ?лента внутри шляпы?

Lining ? подкладка

Piping ? кант

Band ? околыш

Tangs/Prongs (for attachment of star/cockarde and in some cases, chinstrap buttons) ? усы

Crown - тулья

Ленд-Лиз - "LEND- LEASE"

• 1 month later...

Ленд-Лиз - "LEND- LEASE"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the powers that be over here can condense all the previous postings into one comprehensive frame?

I vote Ed Haynes to be the man for the job!

Ha, ha, ha -- Richie, you DO have a sense of humor! I have not The Power in this forum (or in most, for that matter).

Though it would be nice to have a unified vocabulary list.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

I am sorry if this sounds like a commercial plug (me not being a great fan of capitalism), but I am finding http://shop.promt.com/store/promt/DisplayP...ductID.98713500 to be a joy and lifesaver (and a source of great humor) for the Mondvor and Sammler websites, among others.

Please delete if deemed nasty/commercial.

Some expressions:

Sa?ka, ?urik= Aleksander (Tsar)

Pavka, Pa?ka= Pavel

Katka, Katju?a= Jekaterina

Li?ka= Jelizaveta

Some award nick names what collector use in Russia:

"Vesjol?je Rebjata" (happy guys/campers) or "Diskoteka" (Disco)= Order of the badge of Honor

"BZ"; "Bezee"- Merit medal

"L?s?i" (baldhead) or "Kut?erjav?i"= Order of Lenin (Russian: Орден Ленина)

• 2 months later...
    • 5 months later...
    • 7 months later...

Came across this on another thread and I believe it should be included in here.

http://www.andrsib.com/rus/

Might save some time trying to copy and paste cyrillic fonts.

For some this may just be the best thing since sliced bread!

(And since when was sliced bread the best thing? - can't we possibly think of anything better - George Carlin!)

• 4 years later...

Interesting topic, but does anybody know of a good OCR able to understand cyrillic. I have few award citations and other paper documents I would like to translate (especially now that I learned how to browse podvignaroda.ru) with just too much text for me to type manually into a translator.

Thanks in advance

• 4 years later...
    On 17/9/2013 at 23:36, rocketscientist said:

Interesting topic, but does anybody know of a good OCR able to understand cyrillic. I have few award citations and other paper documents I would like to translate (especially now that I learned how to browse podvignaroda.ru) with just too much text for me to type manually into a translator.

Thanks in advance

Speranza vana, sembra sempre di andare contro i mulini a vento, non regalano mai niente... :catjava:

• 3 months later...