News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

HOUSEHOLD CAVALRY - BLUES & ROYALS HELMET

I sometimes wish that I had collected helmets and not police - there is something special about them.

This splendid example is an O/R's for the Blues and Royals of The Household Cavalry. This amalgamated regt. was formed in 1969 from the Royal Horse Guards and the The Royal Dragoons. There are ,of course, two regiments - The Life Guards and The Blues and Royals. The Life Guards wear red tunics and a white 'plume' - The Blues and Royals , a blue tunic and a red 'plume'.

A small point of some interest, is that the original carbine that was carried in a bucket, by the left leg - was called a 'Dragon' -

hence Dragoon.

Leigh - no markings - however, I wouldn't be surprised it it isn't pre-war (1930's). They didn't go back to full uniform until - I think - the fifties. You are probably right about anodised aluminium, everything is for show - quality has gone. I think Stuart is the person to tell us for certain? Merv.

Mervyn,

sorry but not this time. I don't know whether Staybrite is used. One would have to ask the manufacturers Firmin & Co. I do know that there have been experiments with "plastic" skulls but no idea if this progressed to today's helmets.

The ear rosettes on your B & R's helmet are normally those of the Life Guards but it is not uncommon to find them in the B & Rs and vice versa.

Stuart

Swapping plume finials I would say.

:off topic: After a torrid 4 games of racquetball I am calling it a night. I did however win 3 out of the 4, against a 48 yo and two 18 yo but it won't last much longer. Those young buggers are so fast!

Cheers,

Stuart

I must be tired as I missed that the bulbous shaped ball beneath the white metal socket should be in white metal, rather than gilding metal, for ORs.

I will have another look tomorrow but the helmet appears to be a composite of Life Guards/Blues and Royals/Officers'/ORs'.

Can the plume holder be disassembled? It could for an officer but not for an OR.

Stuart

When I first saw the photos, I thought it was an officers, rather than an OR's, the ornate backband etc, but I'd need to refer to the books to work out one way or the other. Could explain the lack of markings, would'nt an OR's bear a punch stamped number?.

This is very interesting - I bought this at least 20 years ago, from a UK dealer. I don't pretend to have the knowledge for helmets - just that I like them. I have another - better - one at the flat in UK. I will try to get the helmet taken apart - as for cleaning - and we will photo each part. Should the skull turn out to be an officer's , could it be re-assembled as one ? What about the badge - I think that is o/r's ?

Mervyn,

It might be difficult to get an officer's badge and yours is definitely an OR's. The officers is a beautiful enamelled job with a silver hobnailed star background. The floriate work on the helmet is voided in places on an officers helmet.

I would be inclined to leave the helmet alone but maybe locate a new rosette for the plume and keep an eye out for an OR's plume holder.

Can you post a shot of the interior?

Stuart