News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Glory 3rd Class to a U.S. Naval Reservist

• Replies 72
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

My bad. Elder moment. :cheers:

That makes the rank discrepancy even worse-- a THREE star Lieutenant rather than a ONE star as Glory regulations restricted awards.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know where Sissler's award and document ended up? No need to post on here, you can PM me if you know. I'd like to get some better pics (or permission to use these) for my upcoming book on Soviet awards to US Navy personnel.

Thanks!

Dave

• 4 months later...

Just a bump back up to the top. Still trying to figure out who got Sissler's award so I can get photos of it for my book (I cannot use them unless I have written authorization, sadly). Please PM me if you know.

Thank you for the help!

Dave

Does anyone know where Sissler's award and document ended up? No need to post on here, you can PM me if you know. I'd like to get some better pics (or permission to use these) for my upcoming book on Soviet awards to US Navy personnel.

Thanks!

Dave

What is your book? Americans with Soviet awards?

Chief,

See last sentence of first quote above.

Regards,

slava1stclass

What is your book? Americans with Soviet awards?

I'm tracking down all of the Soviet awards to US Navy personnel in WW2. I'm in touch with either the actual recipients or families of about half of the 205 awards given out in 1944 and 1945 so far. My goal is to make contact with the families of every recipient. Not sure if that will happen, but I am doing my best to make it so.

The book will include bios of all of the recipients as well as photographs of their awards and documents (both US and Soviet). That's why I'm trying to figure out where Sissler's award went off to...

These are spectacular and ultra rare. Thanks for sharing. I tried finding Sisler in podvignaroda but no success. Wonder what archives he would be in?

No idea...so far I only have the information from our State Department archives. Nothing from the Soviet side at this time...

I'm tracking down all of the Soviet awards to US Navy personnel in WW2. I'm in touch with either the actual recipients or families of about half of the 205 awards given out in 1944 and 1945 so far. My goal is to make contact with the families of every recipient. Not sure if that will happen, but I am doing my best to make it so.

The book will include bios of all of the recipients as well as photographs of their awards and documents (both US and Soviet).

Dave,

Apropos. Currently on the well-known auction site. Per the item description: "ORIGINAL RARE WWII RIBBON BAR RACK TO USN PILOT WITH BRITISH DFC/RUSSIAN ORDER OF GLORY. Bought from local veteran's estate. Very rare custom embroidered rack to a WWII/Korea Naval Aviator who earned US & British DFC, Russian Order of Glory 3rd Class etc. He was one of very few Naval Aviators with this medal combination. Both were awarded for his part in destroying a German U-boat. A copy of his military bio will be included. Guaranteed original!"

Good luck.

Regards,

slava1stclass

• 11 months later...

Just to announce...my book specifically on Soviet medals to the US Navy, Merchant Marine, and Coast Guard has been completed and turned over to the publisher. Hopefully it will be out sometime in 2015 or so...

Just to announce...my book specifically on Soviet medals to the US Navy, Merchant Marine, and Coast Guard has been completed and turned over to the publisher. Hopefully it will be out sometime in 2015 or so...

Great news to hear :) congradulations on completing the book :) and here is to many more to come :D:)

Great news to hear :) congradulations on completing the book :) and here is to many more to come :D:)

HA....not for a long, long time...someone else can spend all their time and money writing one. I'll try to hold onto mine for a while... :)

Sounds like a very interesting book!