News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Noor,

That is another fine piece in this wonderful thread. I have one as well. Last week or so, there were two, quite rare German States medals that went for big money on e-bay. Get them while you can. Fortunately, most collectors are more attracted by the 'shiny stuff'. I prefer the medals awarded to the men of the horse, musket and black powder era.

All the best,

Jaybo

Greetings David M,

From George Seymour’s archives, here is a picture of a Hessen-Homburg Schwerrerkreuz. I know that George had one of these in his collection. Whether this is the one or not, I cannot say.

As near as I can figure out (and I certainly could be wrong on this), 159 of these crosses were produced; but fewer than 10, perhaps only 5, were awarded.

Regards,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card

Ah I see, is there a list somewhere of who got it? Maybe just the homburgian princes, or did they have a prinzengrosse one for around the neck?

regards

David

Greetings David M,

From George Seymour’s archives, here is a picture of a Hessen-Homburg Schwerrerkreuz. I know that George had one of these in his collection. Whether this is the one or not, I cannot say.

As near as I can figure out (and I certainly could be wrong on this), 159 of these crosses were produced; but fewer than 10, perhaps only 5, were awarded.

Regards,

Wild Card

Yes David, there is what is referred to as the Schwerterkreuz, 1814-18, für Großherzog Ludwig I. von Hessen-Darmstadt. It is silver/gold plate and being 103.5 x 77 mm,, would, hopefully, have been worn around the neck. As far as awarding of the example shown above, as near as I can tell, they went to military personnel; but whether these awards were confined to officers only, I do not know.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Monkey,

That is a nice '1814'. Fortunately, they are still affordable for the average collector (and probably not faked often as a result). If you are like me, you will want all 4 of the series. The Napoleonic medals (actually post-Napoleonic medals) are fun to collect because of the men & times they represent. They are seldom flashy but mean more to me than some later-era medal for fighting in some back-water, 3rd world colony!

All the best!

Jaybo was right, I do want all 4 in the series! It has taken me a while, but I finally have another and wanted to share it...its the 1815 medal, with what I believe is an .original but very fragile ribbon.

The condition seems generally good, but there is some surface discolouration (the black) which I am not touching. Here are some pictures:

1815side-fullmedal.jpg

Fwside.jpg

Edge-HangerRing.jpg

Edge-Geschut.jpg

Edge-Erobert.jpg

Edited by Monkey

• 7 months later...

Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld - Volunteer Medal of the Fifth German Army Corps 1814

"Medaille für die Freiwilligen des V. Armeekorps 1814"

It's a piece for soldiers respectively NCOs. A total of only 1708 pieces were awarded, 130 of them with the wider frame for officers (post #52).

• 9 months later...
    • 2 months later...

I have just added another Brunswick Waterloo to my collection - arrived yesterday! It is named to Johann Siebrecht of the Lieb-Battalion, a Jager who is listed as Killed in Action at Waterloo on 18th June. Johann was from Meinbrexen. He is shown here http://www.denkmalpr...2_1809-1815.htm an extract of which is: (The translation is by google translate)

I am at the start of my research journey on this one and have posted a query & a bit more information in the Napoleonic thread (which was a bit daft as I should have done it here). Anyway this is the link:(http://gmic.co.uk/in...military-units/

If anyone can help with any info, it would be great. I will come back with anything I learn...

DukeHeadVGood.jpg

1815Side2.jpg

Edge2-2.jpg

Edge4-2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Recently I decided to open my collecting field into Napoleonic awards. Particularly I liked the Hessen Kassel medal showed, and after getting one I bought this Hanseatic League medal. Were there also private purchases back then? Patina is not that extensive having seen others really darker so to speak. Hope you like it.

Edited by OTTER76

• 1 month later...

Silver medal Frederick Bianchi, Duke of Casalanza 1815

Napoleonic Wars / Neapolitan War - Silver medal on the victory of Tolentino 2 - 3. Mai 1815

Nach den Schlachten von Großbeeren(Kronprinz Bernadotte von Schweden) und an der

Katzbach(Blücher)entschied die Völkerschlacht bei Leipzig vom 16.bis 19.Oktober endgültig

die Niederlage des Korsen Bonarparte, der Hals über Kopf die Flucht ergriff.

Am 21.November traf der Kurfürst von Prag kommend in Cassel ein, wop ihm das begeisterte

Volk die Pferde ausspannte und den Wagen zu seinem Ziel zog. Das gleiche wiederfuhr ihm

4 Tage später in Marburg, wo man den Wagen den langen steilen Steinweg hinaufzog.

König Jerome hatte schon im September auf der Flucht vor Tschernischefs Kosaken das Land

verlassen. Mit 8000 Mann verließ er Cassel, in Marburg waren es noch 180 , und als er dort abrückte ,

noch 41; man hatte sich in die Büsche geschlagen .

Der niederträchtige Polizeikommissar von Wolff wurde von der Marburger Bevölkerung unter einem

Steinhagel aus der Stadt gejagt. Mit der Stimme des Volkes

So endete die Monarchie gennant Royaume de Westphalie

Hier mal eine Volksmedaille auf die Rückkehr des Kurfürsten.

vielleicht kann es ja jemand ins Englische übersetzen.

Gruss

Rudi

Hanau 1813 Befreiungskriege

Diese Medaille wurde am schwarz-rot-goldenen Band getragen,

sie wurde am 18.October 1863 an die noch lebenden Veteranen

verteilt.

Nach 50 Jahren, man kann sich vorstellen wie viele da noch

gelebt haben, eine Hand voll .

• 1 year later...

Raising this old topic, I recently got this pair as part of a larger lot. I thought I would get your opinions. They are the Frankfurt Medal for 1814 (est. in 1846) and the Frankfurt Medal for 1815 (est. in 1816). Both are beautifully struck and are the correct weight. Any opinions would be appreciated as I haven't seen enough of these to develop a good feel yet.