News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Princely Hohenzollern House Order- which grade?

Gentlemen,

I would appreciate some help regarding the grade of this Princely Hohenzollern House Order.

Is it Commander Grade by any chance (worn on/below the left breast pocket)?

My thanks
    Pierce

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

The Princely Hohenzollern grades were a bit different than the usual setup.  The pinback cross, usually an Officer's Cross in many orders, is actually the 1st Class for this Order.  It grades below the Grand Cross but above the Commander's Cross.  It was awarded 561 times from 1852 to 1965.

The Princely Hohenzollern grades were a bit different than the usual setup.  The pinback cross, usually an Officer's Cross in many orders, is actually the 1st Class for this Order.  It grades below the Grand Cross but above the Commander's Cross.  It was awarded 561 times from 1852 to 1965.

Thank you for your reply.

Would this grading system have remained the same during the post-war Doorn years?

Kind regards
    Pierce

• 1 year later...

Perhaps this question is too obvious or simple, but I don't quite understand:

If the Principality of Hohenzollern (Sigmaringen and Hechingen) ceased to exist as an independent state in 1850, who legally awarder the Princely Hohenzollern House Order? The former sovereing Prince (his sucesor, I mean), the Prussian Sate...?

If it was granted by the former sovereign prince, why was a legal military decoration? The princes of missing German states (Hanover, Hesse-Kassel, Nassau, mediated ancient families...) had their orders and decorations, but none was "legal" or official. Why the Princely Hohenzollern House Order itself was an official award?

Thank you very much for any answers or help.

Cartaphilus, 

According to Neal O'Connors the Princely Hohenzollern House Order was recognized by Prussia in a Royal Decree signed on august 23 1849, and taken into the Prussian series of order by a state treaty concluded on December 7 1849. In addition he states that King of Prussia by this decree would approval all awards. However he also states that in reality the Prussian left the awarding up to the Prince of Hohenzollern. In addition to reinforce this fact he does list the award regulations signed be Prince Wilhelm on October 30, 1916. 

Hope this is helpful :)

Chuck