News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Top entry is invasion of Russia and at some point he moved from 2 Coy 2nd Inf Regt to 2 Coy 3rd Inf Regt within the Totenkopf Div as is borne out by the previous stamps in purple on p32 and his new unit stamp on p33.  It then goes on to break down where he fought, starting border fight in Lithuania, next clearing the battle areas by Kueciai and those 3 other places I can't make out.  Next assault crossing of the Duna and a second entry for the same operation or perhaps it was a second attempt?  Then battles in Lapland 4 places I can't make out or recognise.  Assault over the old Russian border lastly Break through of Stalin line and battles by ? in Optoschka? More on page 35......

Jock:)

Hello and thanks for the translation and wonder if I can get more help to ascertain what damage he was treated for 9/29/41 and was somewhere.
    Thank you in advance

img119.jpg

Thanks Berhard,

I thought it was something about which hospital he was admitted to, I got to me that the answer was in the second row to "truppenteil".
    I have tried to trace this man as best I can but lack of experience, I have failed. It would be interesting to see if he survived the war.

img109.jpg

Hello Edwina.

Usually the Wehrpass was returned to the surviving spouse or parents if the person involved died in service. That would be entered in the Wehrpass which then served the surviving primary party as a remembering object but also to support any material claim such as survivor pension or such.

Truppenteil still shows him as before. Probably treated by his medical officer and told to carry on.

I was unable to locate him in the German Volksbund listing of dead in action or missing which does not establish his surviving the war.

Of note is his crossed out religion substituted by "gottglaeubig" or belief in God,  much pushed by the Waffen-SS instead of a religious affiliation.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello again, there are some staff lists of people who worked on hFVa-SS Berlin.
    This man served there from 1943 until at least 1944, but what happened then? I have not been able to find him in some books.
    Sincerely,
    Edwina

img125.jpg

Hello Edwina.

As you note he was assigned to HFVA-SS Berlin ( welfare and care ) until June 30, 1944 and as of 1.July, 1944 to Rasse und Siedlungs Hauptamt which also had charge of welfare and care ( families, orphans,  and disabled as well as surviving spouses ) among other duties.

No other duty assignment seems to be recorded so that may have been his final assignment. These administrative units were put on war footing during the last phase of the war and utilized wherever a need was.

I hope this is of some little help.

Bernhard H. Holst

Thank you for all the help I received but I'd like to eventually find his name somewhere. But I may well realize that such a high-ranking officer remains an unknown name.
    But you never know.
    Edwina

Thank you for all the help I received but I'd like to eventually find his name somewhere. But I may well realize that such a high-ranking officer remains an unknown name.
    But you never know.
    Edwina

Hello Edwina.

Noticing your mentioning of the person as a "high-ranking officer" I very much believe you have a misapprehension of his rank. It was SS-Obersturmfuehrer therefore First Lieutenant  and you may have interpreted it as SS-Obersturmbannfuehrer or Lieutenant Colonel which would indeed place him as a high-ranking officer.

I wish you success.

Bernhard H. Holst