News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Not my direct collecting field, but it happened my way...

Bayerische Fussartillerie Bataillon Nr. 23

Kanonier der Reserve Josef Steinbauer (3. Batterie)

The award was made on the 13th of May 1918 by the VIII Armeekorps. The document signed by Hauptmann Otto Schrenk, Bataillons Kommandeur.

Fussartillerie Units were usually permanently attached to Army Corps which is why the awards are usually made at A.K. level.

Joseph Steinbauer had served in the 2. Bayerische Füssartillerie Regiment from 1908-1910. He was a qualified “Bedinungs Kanonier” (Gun Crew member) on 10cm and 15cm Guns. He mobilized in 1914 with the bay. Füssartillerie Bataillon 30 and fought in Lorraine, at Nancy – Epinal including the fighting for Fort Manonviller. Transferring to the Bayer. Fussartillerie Bataillon 23 in January 1917 he fought until the end of the war including actions in the Ailly-Wald, Serbia, Galizia, Flanders, on the Somme, the 1918 Spring offensives, Montdidier-Noyon, Rheims etc.

Hauptmann Schrenk, the Battalion commander, described the movements of the Battalion during the Spring Offensive in 1918

“The Battalion was attached to the 103rd Infantry division from the 21st of March. On the 21st and 22nd the breakthrough at St. Quentin and La Fere, the 23rd and 24th fighting to cross the Crozat Canal between St. Christ and Tergnier. Between the 25th and 31st of March the fighting pursuit at Montdidier and Noyon.

During this time the Battalion was under the command of a different division every couple of days including the 3rd Bavarian division on the 30th and 31st of March. The Battalion was thrown into the line wherever things were critical. Of special note was the bitter fighting on the Avre in front of Moreuil-Morisel where the Battery found itself in an inferno in the true sense of the word as it was here that the French had massed their forces, including large amounts of artillery, fearing a breakthrough to Amiens. The Battalion, in particular the 3rd battery suffered immensely, many brave gunners and drivers found their end in this valley of death. The ammunition supply columns also deserve a special mention for their brave actions.”

It was in this sector in May 1918 that Steinbauer received his Iron Cross 2nd class. He has spent 45 months at the Front. He is a prime example for the argument that the Iron Cross was not “cheapened” in WW1.

fuss4.thumb.jpg.75fbd7fbe9a9d69a168aa25dfuss5.thumb.jpg.bfa09840ab37c37a440efd31fuss3.thumb.jpg.ddc84d61fedfde63a8e685c8fuss2.thumb.jpg.6364b87fddde167b68376c53

Nice to see you back ;-)

It was just chance that I picked this up.... I spent the whole day at the show looking for Infantry documents... and there were none... so i want into bavarian Default.... Of course, Manonviller was also interesting from an arty perspective.....

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...