News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Today's Most Effective Main Battle Tank.

Today's superior tank has to be the Merkava. The IDF have the most modern tank fighting experience in the world, and consequently developed their own armour through that experience. Their main aim was crew survival and protection, and firing first, which why the commander's job was the most dangerous as they always had their heads exposed.
    The tank is the world's heaviest, but still has an extremely low silhouette, particularly the turret, which has no ammunition stored above the turret ring. The Merkava is also one of the only tanks to the engine at the front for that extra bit of protection.
    It has an enormous array of weaponry, and the later MKs have 360 degree cctv built into it.
    All in all , awesome.

What does Mr Vice Chairman think of a Challenger 2 vs Merkava 4 scenario? Is the Challenger a better 'all round' MBT, the Merkava being more specific in it's role? I would have said Challenger myself, but the Mk4 Merkava really does narrow the margin between them.

On its own ground, definitely the Merkava. It could be a tricky one, as their concepts are different. The Merkava was certainly not built for speed or manoeverability. It was built for maximum protection. It also stores a large array of weapons ans has an enormous amount of ammunition. It is designed to stay on the battle field for long periods of time, pretty much self contained.
    The Challenger 2 certainly is well up there, but seems to have manoevreability, as one of its characteristics as well as massive slabbed armour. It seems to more of an offensive MBT , with all the armament emphasis around the main gun. The Merkava has all sorts on it from grenade launcher, 60mm mortar, .50 cal, 7.62mm, as well as some reports stating that it can now launch missiles down its barrel.It is also more of a defensive tank, designed to protect Israel from some of its neighbours.... wub.gif

• 5 months later...

All these new variants of the Russian designs have me confused!

Is the 'Black Hawk' you're referring to also known as the 'Black Eagle' or Chiormy Oriol?

I've got a couple of pictures of it in a book at an arms fair a few years back. The turret was covered in a net but is a radical departure from the traditional dome-type, being much more like a Abrams. I presume this is to allow better protection for the crew from the rounds.

The chassis is almost exactly the same as a T80 but i think it has thicker armour as you say....

Time for a Google search me thinks........

• 4 weeks later...

The Black Eagle has not even gone into production yet, the only units in exsistence are believed to be the prototypes...I do know one thing, there is a 152mm main gun being developed that is supposed to be mounted on that moth!

• 5 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    Guest paracollector

The Merkava is pretty much an all Isreali design, tailored for specific Isreali needs. For instance, the engine placement has nothing to do with crew protection (makes good PR though), but rather to allow a supply vehicle to back up to it and resupply the vehicle through a hatch on the back of the hull (everynoe gets to stay under cover). The vehicle is designed to engage enemy armor at the greatest distance posible from prepared, or expediant positions, and survive close encounters with RPGs on city streets. Against almost any modern western tank on open ground it would not have a chance. The tank is to slow, not manueverable enough, and its turret traverse is nothing to brag about.

But it does look pretty cool.

Guest sniper1shot

I was always told and had read that the Merkava has the engine placement to create a pocket in the rear to store extra ammo OR to carry troops (Can't remember the number of though). After the last war they found that many combat troops were just by-passed and had to fend for themselves......however armoured "thrusts" were able make small penentrations to rescue them. Hence, the need for space.....or if going into a defensive posn, more ammo.

The Merkava was also designed off of the US M60 and captured examples of the Soviet design tanks from Syria. They liked the low profile of the Soviet designs however liked the crew protection and commanders protection.

As for survivability on the battlefield, I can't comment as I don't know.

Interesting. I was always lead to believe that it was the worlds top design. I think that the Israeli's have more post wwii tank battle experience than any other nation.

I would like to see it up against a Challenger 2 or an M1 Abrams, though. I must admit, though, the Israeli's have always fought in defence of their homeland, so it would be interesting to see how they fayred in another theatre.

Regards,

John