News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

NKVD caps

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou both! I bought these at a time when the prices were a bit more reasonable than now! I'm happy at having an original 'blue top' although it is 1948 dated. But still at least it's not another copy!

Could you post a picture of the inside of your blue-top cap? I've got one too, and I can't tell if the date inside is 1945, 1946, or 1948, and maybe your cap will give me some direction. Thanks!

Edited by Nack

Could you post a picture of the inside of your blue-top cap? I've got one too, and I can't tell if the date inside is 1945, 1946, or 1948, and maybe your cap will give me some direction. Thanks!

Post up a nice image of your cap and "stamp", and possibly we can assist you in figuring out what you have... With pleasure...

Ok, here's the cap from the outside. Rounded fiberboard visor with 1-piece cap star. More indicitive of post-war than wartime, I know, but not dispositive of the issue.

Edited by Nack

And the inside. You could really interpret it 3 ways. Thoughts?

I have never seen such a stamp on an original or repro cap to make a comment about it.... other than it appears to read a Moscow mfg, a size of 58, and a 1940 date.

Perhaps while you have your camera out and working, how about a close-up of the star and a shot of the entire underside(?), so we may see the lining, sweatband, and the actual shape of your visor. There did exist more than a few caps in the late 30s, early 40s with rounded visors.

As far as your other two caps are concerned, more photos would be a plus in order to discuss their attributes... It would also be interesting to hear your description of them for the sake of conversation.

Edited by RichieC

Here's the NVKD blue top from the front. Nice teller shape, a little crazing on the visor, but not bad.

BTW, I have no doubts as to authenticity on any of these, I just wanted to see what others thought about the date stamp.

Edited by Nack

And the inside of the old OGPU-era cap. Well worn, but nice. Dated 1925 and has the guy's name. Nice crusher visor.

I didn't shoot the NKVD frontier troops budyonovka--its just grey and the stamps don't come out.

Edited by Nack

:D The hats are quite nice...Thank you for posting them.

And the inside of the old OGPU-era cap. Well worn, but nice. Dated 1925 and has the guy's name.

I didn't shoot the NKVD frontier troops budyonovka--its just grey and the stamps don't come out.

:D The hats are quite nice...Thank you for posting them.

Thanks. The 1925-dated example I didn't really like when I got it, but it has really grown on me. It came with a WWII-dated NKVD pullover and pants, which I was more interested in. After having the hat for awhile, I really appreciate it--its not in too bad of shape for being 80 years old, and its got lots of character. Makes you wonder what the guy who wore it got into :ninja:

Very nice photos...

For the sake of the theme and if you are interested, I am fairly close with Valantin Voronov, who is pretty "up & up" on early NKVD stuff, especially small details. He loves to "talk" about stuff and may be able to tell us more about your cap and it's stamp, and might even be able to tell us in which factory it was made.

In any case, here is an image of my State Security cap. It has seen better days, the pitiful thing...

Thanks for the kudos, and I'd love to know what Mr. Voronov's thoughts are, thanks!

Nice cap you've got. The blue is a bit bleached-out--I wonder if the previous owner lived in some of the warmer parts of the USSR. Perhaps one of the _____stans? Nice 2-piece cocade. which really adds a lot to the aesthetics in my opinion.

Edited by Nack

The star cockarde is actually an early 40s one piece type. I assume it looks like a 1930s two-piece variation because it retains the high quality of pre-war times.

As far as the faded crown goes, my only guess is that the blue dye was of poor quality and after a few scrubbings, it simply faded to the powder-blue colour that we see now. I would think the band would have faded also in a similar degree if it were indeed exposed to long periods of "blasting" sun... In any case, who knows? At times, I wish that these things could talk...

Here are a few more images of NKVD related caps that span from the late 30s to the early 50s;

Nice hats Nack!

I have to be honest though, I'm not sure if the 1940 stamp is original, simply because it says 'Moscow'. Without a hint of who made it. No code number or factory name.

I'm not commenting on the cap, just the stamp. Have you got Webster and Nelson's Red Army uniforms book? They have excellent photos of wartme stamps and earlier.

But I love the OGPU visor!