News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- United Arab Emirates

Ed_Haynes

The phaleristic (and political) history of the UAE is made more complex by virtue of the fact that it is a loose confederation of seven States. The United Arab Emirates was established on 2 December 1971 through the confederation of seven coastal, previously semi-independent, British-protected emirates: Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Uum al-Qaywayn, Ras al-Khaimah (joining the federation only in 1972), and Fujairah. Each of these have their own awards, as does the UAE.

Sources are very thin. See:

http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/medals/uae.html

http://www.medals.org.uk/abu-dhabi/abu-dhabi.htm

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/cintasas.htm#e (click on "EMIRATOS ?RABES UNIDOS" and "VARIOS")

http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/Asia/UAE/UAE.htm

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Military Unity Star, 1986

Awarded to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the confederation of the constituent emirates in 1971. Also described as the "1986 National Day Medal"?

Established: 1986? Manufactured by Spink of London.

Obverse: A 45-mm bronze star of dull and rather rough finish with ball points, resting on this a ten-pointed star, and, on this, a circle with the eagle of the U.A.E., surrounded by a wreath. Suspended by a straight bar suspender bearing the dates "1971-1986" (C.E.).

Reverse: Much like the obverse, but in the center circle the number "15" within a circle of seven linked hands, representing the unification of the seven constituent emirates. On the reverse suspension bar, "Al-Amadat Al-Arabiya Al-Matahadat" or "The United Arab Emirates".

Ribbon: 31 mm, red with 2-mm edge stripes (reading inward) of green and white and a 2-mm central black stripe; 2 mm green, 2 mm white, 10.5 mm red, 2 mm black, 10.5 mm red, 2 mm white, 2 mm green.

Liberation of Kuwait, 1991

Awarded to U.A.E. troops which participated in the campaigns to liberate Kuwait in Gulf War II. The Emirates was the first Gulf state to propose combined military action to achieve the departure of Iraqi troops from Kuwait. Ultimately, Emirati troops participated in the liberation of Kuwait City.

Obverse: Gilt circular medal, 38 mm. Outline map of Kuwait with prominent rays behind. At the lower left the arms of the U.A.E. with the crest on the eagle's chest enemeled. Suspended by a ring.

Reverse: Three-line inscription.

Ribbon: 40 mm, nine (essentially) equal stripes: black, yellow, gre*en, white, red, white, green, yellow, black. Black 5 mm, yellow 4 mm, green 4 mm, white 4 mm, red 6 mm, white 4 mm, green 4 mm, yellow 4 mm, black 5 mm.

Awards: As far as can be determined, the following Emirati participation can be traced: ground and air contingent in the G.C.C. "Peninsula Shield" force. In total, an estimated 1,497 Emiratian troops served in the war, of whom 6 were killed. None were recorded as wounded in combat.

• 6 years later...

Dear Ilja,

The medal on the right is the U.A.E. Medal of Employee Distinction dating from 2009 - this award may be for Ministry of Interior staff but I am unsure.

The group of four medals from last years Bene Merenti auction are Palestinian and are the Order of Endurance of Beirut and date from the early 1980's when the PLO was forced to leave Lebanon for Tunisia. I am unsure as to whether they are trial or prooof pieces or were actually issued. I suspect they were not issued as there are two designs, different suspensions and ribbons.

Kind regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

• 5 months later...

Antonio, I am away from my research files but believe I summarised these medals in my fairly recent 4 part article in JOMSA on the awards of the UAE. I will be back in Riyadh by the end of the month so will be able to give details. Regards, Owain

• 4 years later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 7 months later...

Long and Distinguished Service

Medal of Security Cooperation, Medal of Security Cooperation, Loyal Service Medal (10 years?):
    Loyal Service Medal (20 years?) , Commemorative Medal founding UAE, 1986, Unkown

Unkown, 25 Anniversary of the Armed Forces Medal 2001, Liberation of Kuwait Medal

eau.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Antonio,

I am advised the unidentified ribbons are as follows:

• 3rd Row - No.3 - A Ministry of Interior award dating from circa 2009 - apparently some 2,000 MoI staff were awarded the ribbon 'of Distinction' however it appears that no medal accompanied the ribbon.  
    • 4th Row - No.1 - Abu Dhabi Police Diamond (60th) Jubilee ribbon - 1957-2017 - probably only awarded to the Abu Dhabi Police - again it appears that no medal accompanied the ribbon.

Kind regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:16, Antonio Prieto said:

Thank you for the identification

Some others

Jawhara Hall Museum of the GWU (General Women’s Unión),

The museum houses over 800 medals and shields that were given to H.H. Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak, Chairwoman of the General Women's Union, President of the Supreme Council for Motherhood and Childhood, and Supreme Chairwoman of the Family Development Foundation, in appreciation of her ongoing efforts to empower women and for her various humanitarian services.

5d233ef933e699e76e351c1bf7074f21o.jpg

Edited by Antonio Prieto
    upload

• 1 year later...

Ilja,

Not a medal but a prize. The inscription is not clear but I can make out that is is a prize for humanitarian work in the name of Mohammed Al Qassimi (Sharjah?). The top of the medal, I think, is, 'In the name of Allah, etc."

Owain

Ilja,

An interesting combination of community award with a structure of an order. A lot of the Arabic is not clear but the upper inscription on the badge is, "In the name of Allah, etc.". The suspension disc on the collar reads, "The Collar", and on the sash, "The Sash". Some nice symbolism - red and white - the colour of the Dubai flag; seven points to the badge - seven emirates in the UAE; and the use of pearls to reflect the traditional industry of the emirate.

Owain