News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Verdun Medal...

Chris Boonzaier

I have to blush here....

......BLUSH......

I am very, very, very interested in the battle of verdun, have visited the battlefields often, concentrate on verdun awarded docs etc. etc. etc...

For ages I have meant to get the Verdun Medal to display... but never got around to buying one.

I knew there were 6-7 makers, collectors being able to tell one from the other...

What i did NOT know... each maker made a totally different medal.

They just called them up and said "Hey Louis.... make a decorative bronze medal with "Verdun" on it......."

And they churned out 6-7 totally different medals !!!!!!

I have ordered my first one..... doe anyone else have any to show?

I have ordered my first one..... doe anyone else have any to show?

Hello Chris & All,

You can find the various manufacturers' issues on my website www.medals.be (Spotlight on Verdun Medals section) - note that some have bars whereas the original Vernier model is not susposed to have one at all. Also, the Steiner and Rasumny made ones aren't really to be considered "Verdun medals" proper ... I'm still looking for a good picture of the Steiner medal (or, indeed, the medal itself).

Hard to say which is my favourite amongst them but I think I'll go for the Augier 1st type because of its dated bar ...

And there is, slightly :off topic: , the German Verdun Commemorative Cross :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 3 years later...
    • 8 months later...

Hi Gents - Been a while since there was activity here, but I recently came across this Guide to the Verdun medals, and thought it might be of interest.

http://www.picardyantiquesltd.com/shop/page/4?shop_param=

Bill

Hi Gents - Been a while since there was activity here, but I recently came across this Guide to the Verdun medals, and thought it might be of interest.

http://www.picardyantiquesltd.com/shop/page/4?shop_param=

Bill

Thanks, Bill. This is a very useful website. Helps a lot.

Regards

Veteran

Gentlemen,

I too have been intrigued by the Verdun medals. Personally, I have examples of the first six models (missing the Steiner, Rasumny and DuTemps versions). I highlt recommend getting the excellent softcover publication "La Medaille de Verdun" by Thierry SILVERT (in French). It is superbe and very thorough. Happy collecting mes amis!

Jay

P.S.-I vote for keeping the site name as is.

• 2 years later...
    • 2 years later...

CCJ,

They were not officially sanctioned medals, rather private productions and therefore not permitted for wear by serving troops, however I suspect many veterans of Verdun would have worn them after the war to show they took part (and maybe get a free glass of absinthe).

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,i have a medal marked Verdun i know nothing of have never seen before. maybe you Chris have seen it. i just had my hand operated on a few hours ago so please forgive my typing. anyway, i thought i posted this yesterday but can't find it. i do not know if this is real but it looks good so please comment on it..

hello

DSCN1382.JPG

DSCN1383.JPG

DSCN1384.JPG

DSCN1385.JPG

Edited by ray11