News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- Yemen

Nice ribbon bar!

Phaleristically and politically, Yemen is a bit of a patchwork mess and keeping track of who issued what when will drive you to :banger:

No good sources, but basic online references:

http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/medals/yemen.html

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=554

http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/Asia/Yemen/Yemen.htm

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/cintasas.htm#y and click on Yemen

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Yemen/yemen.htm

ARAB REPUBLIC OF YEMEN -- Medal of the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of the Revolution of 26th September

To commemorate the twenty-fifth anniversary of the 1962 Revolution.

In addition to the medal, there is a rather distinctive silver enameled pinback ribbon bar associated with the award, 35 mm x 6 mm, divided into three enameled bands (5? mm, 9 mm, 5? mm) of (left to right) red, white, and black. In the center of the central white band is a black cicled with a five-pointed green-enameled star on a silver background bearing the silver number ?25?.

Established: 1987? May have been manufactured by ECC Group GMBH (K?ln, Germany)?

Obverse: A 40 mm circular silvered medal, within a starburst border with a scroll at the bottom with an Arabic inscription, a hand with a raised torch with Arabic inscription to left and right. Suspended by a ring from a silver pinback brooch bar, 40 mm x 13 mm, bearing the fully vocalized Arabic inscription ?The Arab Republic of Yemen?.

Reverse: A three-line Arabic inscription.

Ribbon: 36 mm, red, white, and black stripes with a thin central stripe of green; red 10 mm, white 7 mm, green 2 mm, white 7 mm, black 10 mm. As described above, the ribbon hangs from an ornamental suspender with an Arabic inscription.

PEOPLES' DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF YEMEN -- Order of the 22nd of June

Commemorates the Nationalization Day, 22 June 1971.

Obverse: A 77-mm five-pointed gilt star with rayed points between each of these points; inside a plain surrounding rim, the star is rayed. In the center, a white-enameled scroll with the legend in gilt ?22 Yoonyoo? or ?22 June?. Behind this, an upright gilt torch and, below, the PDRY arms in enamel inside a green-enameled wreath. Worn around the neck.

Reverse: Plain, with two lugs for attaching the obverse plaque.

Ribbon: 30 mm, seven equal 4-mm stripes, black white, red, medium blue, white, red, black; ??mm white stripes surround the central blue stripe.

The first one Dave shows is a puzzle. (1) Maybe the "1000" is the 1000 Rials it may once have sold for? (2) The medal is the same Order of War Wounded I have shown. (3) But the ribbon doesn't match; I thought I had notes on this ribbon, but need to look more.

The second is easier:

Order of the Earth'

Awarded for agriculture.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 11 months later...

ARAB REPUBLIC OF YEMEN -- Order of Duty

Military award. Also referred to as the "Medal of Duty".

Established: By Resolution No. 1 of 2 January 1973.

This is the second series of this award - post 1990 unification - the first series is similar to the Order of Duty illustrated by Ed.

Owain

ARAB REPUBLIC OF YEMEN -- Order of Service

Military award.

Established: By Resolution No. 1 of 2 January 1973.

This is the first series, second type of this award 1971 onwards - this first type has the map of the Yemen Arab Republic oulined on the medal and the script runs circular to the edge of the centrel design.

Owain

ARAB REPUBLIC OF YEMEN -- Medal of the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of the Revolution of 26th September

To commemorate the twenty-fifth anniversary of the 1962 Revolution.

In addition to the medal, there is a rather distinctive silver enameled pinback ribbon bar associated with the award, 35 mm x 6 mm, divided into three enameled bands (5? mm, 9 mm, 5? mm) of (left to right) red, white, and black. In the center of the central white band is a black cicled with a five-pointed green-enameled star on a silver background bearing the silver number "25".

Established: 1987? May have been manufactured by ECC Group GMBH (K?ln, Germany)?

Obverse: A 40 mm circular silvered medal, within a starburst border with a scroll at the bottom with an Arabic inscription, a hand with a raised torch with Arabic inscription to left and right. Suspended by a ring from a silver pinback brooch bar, 40 mm x 13 mm, bearing the fully vocalized Arabic inscription "The Arab Republic of Yemen".

Reverse: A three-line Arabic inscription.

Ribbon: 36 mm, red, white, and black stripes with a thin central stripe of green; red 10 mm, white 7 mm, green 2 mm, white 7 mm, black 10 mm. As described above, the ribbon hangs from an ornamental suspender with an Arabic inscription.

In this series there are as follows:

20th Anniversary of the YAR

25th anniversary of the YAR

30th Anniversary of the YAR - ribbon only

Unification of RoY - ribbon only

1Oth Anniversary of the RoY

Owain

Edited by oamotme

PEOPLES' DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF YEMEN -- Medal for Courage

Apologies for the naked medal.

Ed,

This and the next medal are from the 1964-67 period of the YAR - instituted by or for President Sallal under the recommendation of Nasser and nmanufactured by Bichay - the full series is as follows:

Order of Sheba - one class sash, etc

Order of mareb - five classes

Order pf Bravery - medal in silver and bronze

Medal of Liberation - medal in silver only

With the retreat of Egyptian forces from Yemen the sereis became obsolete and the YAR instituted its "own" series in 1971 headed by the Order of the Republic.

Owain

The first one Dave shows is a puzzle. (1) Maybe the "1000" is the 1000 Rials it may once have sold for? (2) The medal is the same Order of War Wounded I have shown. (3) But the ribbon doesn't match; I thought I had notes on this ribbon, but need to look more.

The second is easier:

Order of the Earth'

Awarded for agriculture.

Ed,

The ribbon, green, of the Order of the War Wounded in your illustration is correct. The second award is the Order of Devotion, third class I think, and the blue ribbon for the War Wounded should be be more properly with the Order of Devotion - the blue ribbon is the thrid class ribbon.

Owain

eBay presently has a series of modern Yemeni medals on offer out of Lebanon.

I was surprised to see three different versions of the 20th Anniversary medal.

Whilst the medals are being sold through Lebanon I believe they came from Sana'a in these formats and the supplier in Yemen has mounted a number of commemorative medallions onto military medal ribbons and inded some of the ribbons are on the incorrect medals.

Regards,

Owain

A ribbon bar from Yemen

Sorry, I should have identifed these - all YAR, as follows:

Order of Merit, Order of Seventy

Order of Honour, Order of Duty, Order of Heroism

25th, and 20th Anniversary of 1962 Revolution, Order of Service

Confusingly these appear to have all been reversed as the order of precedence would be more correctly right to left.

I have a draft on the PDRY complete (some 30 pages without illustrations) and just about ready for JOMSA. The YAR and RoY are work under progress - frustrating to say the least. JOMSA have already published an article on the early awards 1964-7.

Owain

Edited by oamotme

• 3 years later...