News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ARAB MEDALS -- Yemen

Jan,

From my notes - see below.

Owain

Obverse                       A circular medal with an embellished border, within which to the right a vertical rocket and rifle (AK-47).  To the left the inscription in two lines.

“Combat Proficiency”

At the top a red painted star and at the base a red paint scroll with the abbreviation.

“P.D.R.Y.”

Reverse                       Plain grainy reverse.

Size                             36mm diameter bronze-gilt of both Hungarian and Soviet manufacture. The differences between the two versions are minimal with the Soviet medal being slightly darker and an aluminium back plate to the ribbon with the Hungarian back plate being of brass or brass coloured metal.

Ribbon                        23mm – red – the Hungarian ribbon is somewhat lighter in shade.

Suspension                  By a loop affixed to the top of the medal.

I really like the ribbon bar at the top and never would have suspected that Yemen issues such striking medals but then I remembered Yemen lies in a volatile neighborhood (note: I am not trying to make anyone mad but simply stating what type of news filters through to South Africa) so there's probably no shortage of opportunity to issue medals.

Owain,

Thank you very much for the quick and thorough reply. Very much appreciated. I'm finding my self looking around for new fields to explore with the whole Mongolian field being basically dormant. 

Cheers,

jan

• 1 year later...

Medal of the State for Literature and Art - Aden(PDRY),1977

29.jpg

First- class Medal of the State for Sciences, Literature and Arts- Sana 'a (YAR), 1989

30.jpg

Second - class Medal of Independence Day,November 30- Yemen (ROY), 1997

31.jpg

Ilja,

Than you for sharing the images of the certificates - it a always good to see documentation in support of the various orders.

It is interesting to note that the recipient Sultan Abdo Nagi has received awards from all 'three' Yemens:

• Yemen Arab Republic, 1962-1990, Order of Science, 1st Class, for "revolutionary service" - 30 September 1989
    • Peoples Democratic Republic of Yemen, 1967-1990, Medal of Literature & Art - 10 September 1977
    • Republic of Yemen, 1990 - to date,  Order of 30 November, 2nd Class - 29 November 1997

http://en.sultannagi.com/List/315

He died in 1989 and thus it would appear that his YAR & RoY awards were posthumous.

Regards,

Owain

Ilja,

Nice image of Brezhnev with Ali Nasser Mohammed - do you have a date for this image?

See Order of Revolution below. Inscription reads:

14 October

Radfan

Order of the Revolution.

The Radfan mountains are north /north-east of Aden where there was a tribal uprising which, post independence in 1967,  the Communists regime appropriated as a 'revolution'. Made by the Soviet State Mint in Moscow - excellent quality.

Regards,

Owain

PDRY Order of the Revolution Obverse Edit.jpg

Ilja,

Nice selection of images - medals worn appear to consist mainly of Order of Devotion, War of Liberation Medal, Combat Proficiency Medal, 10, 15 & 20 Year Military Service Medals, plus 10, 15 & 20th Anniversary of the Army Medals.

Owain

Hi,

As the only Marxist state in Arabia the PDRY awards system was modelled on its supporters in the Eastern Bloc. Most of the high state awards were made by the Soviet Mint in Moscow and many of the other military awards were made by the mint in Budapest. Internal security awards - sponsored by the STASI, came from East Berlin in the DDR.

Regards,

Owain 

Ilja,

Your medal reads as follows:

• Model Teacher
    • Peoples Democratic Republic of Yemen
    • Ministry of Education & Learning

Regards,

Owain