65 replies to this topic

#21 Christian Zulus

Christian Zulus

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 22:40

QUOTE(pmargulies @ Mar 29 2007, 22:34 ) View Post
Gentlemen - I was posted at the US Embassy in Belgrade for two years and returned in December 2006. Marko and Ranko Mandic operate Singidunum and are excellent. And Goran - Stefko on ebay - is also quite amazing. He would bring my purchases right to me and always had a gift to boot. We often met at the numismatic club. You won't go wrong if you deal with either one. Their prices are quite fair.

Dear Mr. Margulies,

many thanks for your valid insight-information about Belgrade as a market for YU-Awards and welcome to GMIC-Yugoslavia cheers.gif .

I assume, your service at the US Embassy had been a rather pleasent time in your life - Belgrade is in terms of overall "life-quality" one of the finest locatians in Europe biggrin.gif (if you have some money to spend wink.gif ).

What had been your impressions about Serbia & Belgrade?

Could you tell us something about the numismatic club(s) in Belgrade? Did you buy YU-Awards in Belgrade?

Some years ago I bought for EUR 30,- an Soviet Order of the "Red Banner" serial nummer 333.348 (10/10 condition) from a friend in Belgrade, which he got from the numismatic club.

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

#22 pmargulies

pmargulies

• Bronze Membership
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 17:24

QUOTE(Christian Zulus @ Mar 30 2007, 00:40 ) View Post
Dear Mr. Margulies,

many thanks for your valid insight-information about Belgrade as a market for YU-Awards and welcome to GMIC-Yugoslavia cheers.gif .

I assume, your service at the US Embassy had been a rather pleasent time in your life - Belgrade is in terms of overall "life-quality" one of the finest locatians in Europe biggrin.gif (if you have some money to spend wink.gif ).

What had been your impressions about Serbia & Belgrade?

Could you tell us something about the numismatic club(s) in Belgrade? Did you buy YU-Awards in Belgrade?

Some years ago I bought for EUR 30,- an Soviet Order of the "Red Banner" serial nummer 333.348 (10/10 condition) from a friend in Belgrade, which he got from the numismatic club.

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

Christian - feel free to call me Paul and I hope the same applies to me! I have been a frequent visitor to this section, but seldom contributer.

I have travelled extensively since joining the State Dept and have had two o/s postings - Kabul and Belgrade. Belgrade was an amazing tour. The people are incredibly friendly there! I loved the food too. However, unlike my wife, I am not a big fan of Rakija.

I was a regular visitor at SND (Srpsko Numismatichko Drstvo - something like that) on Tuesdays. It was a time foe me to meet with my good friends and make many purchases. I spent a lot of money on awards and related ephemera, but much less than I would have anywhere else in the world. I passed on some amazing orders - both communist and Kingdom - during my time there. And, I also picked up some amazing items : uniform with ribbons (vrbsa) for General Pavkovic, ribbon bar from General Perisic, flag from Tito's office.

The collector's in Belgrade are very serious about their trade. I became good friends with Bjelos, Nenad. Nenad speaks very little English and I very little Serbian yet we made it work.

SND also holds a big collectors show a couple of times a year that is well worth while. They have a website - all in Serbian - but, I don't have it bookmarked anymore.

#23 new world

new world

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 17:51

QUOTE(Soviet @ Mar 27 2007, 10:49 ) View Post
I have bought few times from Goran and few times off-eBay as well. You can ask him to look for something and he can sometimes help you. A very kind and honest person to deal with!

I've dealt with Goran as well, he's good guy.

W

#24 Christian Zulus

Christian Zulus

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 22:14

QUOTE(pmargulies @ Mar 30 2007, 19:24 ) View Post
And, I also picked up some amazing items : uniform with ribbons (vrbsa) for General Pavkovic, ribbon bar from General Perisic, flag from Tito's office.

SND also holds a big collectors show a couple of times a year that is well worth while. They have a website - all in Serbian - but, I don't have it bookmarked anymore.

Dear Paul,

you really got General Pavkovic's uniform with the "Order of Freedom"-ribbon on it unsure.gif jumping.gif ?

Do you have scans of your "Belgrade-Treasuries", which you can post at GMIC?

You have to try old & vat-aged Rakija from the mountains - it' something different wink.gif .

Kabul & Belgrade are two outstanding destinations for US-officers - that's not London & Paris ...

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

BTW: Maybe someone of our native speakers might find the link to the SND collectors show love.gif ?

#25 Drugo

Drugo

• Bronze Membership
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:13

QUOTE(Christian Zulus @ Mar 31 2007, 00:14 ) View Post
BTW: Maybe someone of our native speakers might find the link to the SND collectors show love.gif ?

Srpsko Numizmaticko Drustvo

#26 Christian Zulus

Christian Zulus

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 14:28

QUOTE(Drugo @ Mar 31 2007, 14:13 ) View Post

Dear Filip,

many thanks for the link cheers.gif .

The next auction at SND will be at the 7th of june 2007 in Belgrad.

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

#27 pmargulies

pmargulies

• Bronze Membership
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 15:02

QUOTE(Christian Zulus @ Mar 31 2007, 00:14 ) View Post
Dear Paul,

you really got General Pavkovic's uniform with the "Order of Freedom"-ribbon on it unsure.gif jumping.gif ?

Do you have scans of your "Belgrade-Treasuries", which you can post at GMIC?

You have to try old & vat-aged Rakija from the mountains - it' something different wink.gif .

Kabul & Belgrade are two outstanding destinations for US-officers - that's not London & Paris ...

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

Christian - It will take some time for me to get to all of my things...just moved into a new place and I am going TDY o/s shortly.

#28 Christian Zulus

Christian Zulus

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 19:54

QUOTE(pmargulies @ Apr 1 2007, 17:02 ) View Post
Christian - It will take some time for me to get to all of my things...just moved into a new place and I am going TDY o/s shortly.

Dear Paul,

o.k., no problem, we will wait for General Pavkovic wink.gif .

Filip found already the link to SND.

I hope, that you don't have to move to Bagdad unsure.gif .

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

#29 Christian Zulus

Christian Zulus

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 18:04

Balkan Antiques

Gentlemen,

I have found another dealer for YU-Militaria in the internet:

http://www.balkanantiques.com/rw/home

Does anyone know about "Balkan Antiques" unsure.gif ?

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus, 02 April 2007 - 18:04 .

#30 Explorer

Explorer

• Bronze Membership
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 18:12

He's very expensive as I can see... speechless1.gif

#31 Christian Zulus

Christian Zulus

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 19:01

QUOTE(Explorer @ Apr 2 2007, 20:12 ) View Post
He's very expensive as I can see... speechless1.gif

Dear Nejc,

that's right, but he offers that early submarine badge in gold for USD 230,-: http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=16805 .

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

#32 pmargulies

pmargulies

• Bronze Membership
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 23:59

QUOTE(Christian Zulus @ Apr 2 2007, 21:01 ) View Post
Dear Nejc,

that's right, but he offers that early submarine badge in gold for USD 230,-: http://gmic.co.uk/in...showtopic=16805 .

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

Hey, I got my early sub badges for about 50 US while in Belgrade, but could never find the 70 era sub badges - finally got them off of Manions. And Christian, once I find my militaria stash I will have to give you a shop in Vienna -you probably already know it - a woman owns the shop and she only takes cash - I think not too far off Operring - I could walk it from the Consulate in about 15-20 minutes. She had a very nice Order of the Flag at one time, but it was too steep for me. I bought a nice Ante Pavelic ribbon bar (vrbsa) from her for about 50-60 euro.

#33 Christian Zulus

Christian Zulus

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:48

QUOTE(pmargulies @ Apr 3 2007, 01:59 ) View Post
Hey, I got my early sub badges for about 50 US while in Belgrade, but could never find the 70 era sub badges - finally got them off of Manions. And Christian, once I find my militaria stash I will have to give you a shop in Vienna -you probably already know it - a woman owns the shop and she only takes cash - I think not too far off Operring - I could walk it from the Consulate in about 15-20 minutes. She had a very nice Order of the Flag at one time, but it was too steep for me. I bought a nice Ante Pavelic ribbon bar (vrbsa) from her for about 50-60 euro.

Dear Paul,

congratulations to your early YU sub badge for only USD 50,- you got 2005/06 in Belgrade cheers.gif . I paid for mine one - some years before - in Vienna USD 85,- sad.gif . I also never found the later model. The collecting of authentic sub badges is rater expensive hobby wink.gif . You have also US-Navy sub badges in your collection unsure.gif ?

It is the finest dealer in militaria, orders & medals - and my favorite one - in Vienna, you mentioned above biggrin.gif .

The shop is called Antiquit?ten "Zum Doppeladler" C. Rochowanski. Adress: Opernring 9 (almost at the other side of the "Staatsoper"), 1010 Vienna, mobile phone: +43 (0) 676 33 22 781, opening hours: monday to friday: 10:00 - 13:00 & 14:00 - 18:00 and on saturday: 10:00 - 13:00. Neither a website, nor an e-mail-adress sad.gif .

Christine Rochowanski and her husband Hartmut Rochowanski, MA run the shop. Mr. Rochowanski is also a Major of the reserve of the Austrian Army and in terms of phaleristics maybe the expert in Austria. He acts as the Vicepresident of the "Austrian Orders Research Society" http://www.ordenskunde.at/index-e.html , which has strong ties to the "Austrian Museum of Military History" http://www.hgm.or.at/eng/ : Another place nobody should miss, when in Vienna: http://gmic.co.uk/in...p...st&p=163392 . At that museum you will find a complete collection of all the "Sarajevo-1914-stuff": Ferdinand's bloody tunic, couch & car.

Rochowanski is maybe the largest dealer in the world for old Austrian Imperial Militaria & Orders, who offers always a hughe and comprehensive collection of these items. He often has also some YU-stuff, but mainly pre-communist orders. The prices at Rochowanski are rather fair and moderate (for a shop in the EU!). They had been also the last dealer in Vienna to offer some good stuff from the Soviet Union years ago (the Russians bought everything from the shops in Vienna sad.gif ) and I got there an Motherland 2cl, Nevsky T 2 and other fine items still for a bargain.

Please phone at the shop, if you want to visit, so that Mr. Rochowanski is there. Rochowanski's shop is also worth seeing, if you don't want to buy anything and the couple is very friendly.

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

#34 pmargulies

pmargulies

• Bronze Membership
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 14:49

QUOTE(Christian Zulus @ Apr 3 2007, 06:48 ) View Post
Dear Paul,

congratulations to your early YU sub badge for only USD 50,- you got 2005/06 in Belgrade cheers.gif . I paid for mine one - some years before - in Vienna USD 85,- sad.gif . I also never found the later model. The collecting of authentic sub badges is rater expensive hobby wink.gif . You have also US-Navy sub badges in your collection unsure.gif ?

It is the finest dealer in militaria, orders & medals - and my favorite one - in Vienna, you mentioned above biggrin.gif .

The shop is called Antiquit?ten "Zum Doppeladler" C. Rochowanski. Adress: Opernring 9 (almost at the other side of the "Staatsoper"), 1010 Vienna, mobile phone: +43 (0) 676 33 22 781, opening hours: monday to friday: 10:00 - 13:00 & 14:00 - 18:00 and on saturday: 10:00 - 13:00. Neither a website, nor an e-mail-adress sad.gif .

Christine Rochowanski and her husband Hartmut Rochowanski, MA run the shop. Mr. Rochowanski is also a Major of the reserve of the Austrian Army and in terms of phaleristics maybe the expert in Austria. He acts as the Vicepresident of the "Austrian Orders Research Society" http://www.ordenskunde.at/index-e.html , which has strong ties to the "Austrian Museum of Military History" http://www.hgm.or.at/eng/ : Another place nobody should miss, when in Vienna: http://gmic.co.uk/in...p...st&p=163392 . At that museum you will find a complete collection of all the "Sarajevo-1914-stuff": Ferdinand's bloody tunic, couch & car.

Rochowanski is maybe the largest dealer in the world for old Austrian Imperial Militaria & Orders, who offers always a hughe and comprehensive collection of these items. He often has also some YU-stuff, but mainly pre-communist orders. The prices at Rochowanski are rather fair and moderate (for a shop in the EU!). They had been also the last dealer in Vienna to offer some good stuff from the Soviet Union years ago (the Russians bought everything from the shops in Vienna sad.gif ) and I got there an Motherland 2cl, Nevsky T 2 and other fine items still for a bargain.

Please phone at the shop, if you want to visit, so that Mr. Rochowanski is there. Rochowanski's shop is also worth seeing, if you don't want to buy anything and the couple is very friendly.

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

That is the shop!!! I've been there every time that I have gone to Vienna - three times - and always walk away with great stuff. And the military museum is the best I have ever seen. I felt like I came full circle when I saw the vehicle, chair and uniform associated with the archduke's death and also visited the famous bridge in Sarajevo and Gavrila Principa street in Belgrade.

#35 new world

new world

• Gold Membership
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 13:55

QUOTE(Christian Zulus @ Apr 2 2007, 14:04 ) View Post
Balkan Antiques

Gentlemen,

I have found another dealer for YU-Militaria in the internet:

http://www.balkanantiques.com/rw/home

Does anyone know about "Balkan Antiques" unsure.gif ?

Best regards beer.gif

Christian

This site appears to be outdated - it was updated back in Nov 2006.

I wrote them several times and they never responded.

William

#36 orden_master

orden_master

• Silver Membership
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 20:38

QUOTE(new world @ Apr 5 2007, 15:55 ) View Post
This site appears to be outdated - it was updated back in Nov 2006.

I wrote them several times and they never responded.

William

Hi

this site is Bulgaria operated and it's highly linked to Victors vicmart site, under this link http://www.bulgarianorders.com

regards

Milan

#37 Croat

Croat

• Bronze Membership
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 18:44

I would also like to recomend stefko (Goran) from ebay and http://www.singidunum-online.com/
There are also some good dealers in Croatia but without website.

#38 Bryan

Bryan

Yugo Forum Host

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 19:52

Welcome to the forum Croat! Please feel free to show your collection with us if you have the chance! smile.gif

#39 Ed_Haynes

Ed_Haynes

• Platinum Membership
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,459 posts
  • AIM:maharao

Posted 08 May 2007 - 00:14

I have sent a number of e-mails to the folks at

http://www.singidunum-online.com/

Has anyone ever been able to contact them?

Am I wasting my time??

#40 orden_master

orden_master

• Silver Membership
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 00:41

Hi Ed

yes I know the poeple personally its a father/son business. The father is the chief editor of all publications of the Serbian numismatic society and he was pretty busy in the last time finishing the latest issue of the "dinar" journal. And as far as Iknow the Junior has got some university exams to pass, maybe this was the reason. I will surely contact them the next couple of days by phone and ask the question.

Meanwhile best regards

Milan

PS: a fantastic auction will be held on 3rd June this year in Belgrade catalogue is under Serbian numismatic society
QUOTE(Ed_Haynes @ May 8 2007, 02:14 ) View Post
I have sent a number of e-mails to the folks at

http://www.singidunum-online.com/

Has anyone ever been able to contact them?

Am I wasting my time??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Yugoslavia, Communist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users