News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon AND Medal Bar of FregKp Wilhelm Peters

We discussed the ribbon bar back at WAF, in those days. It was Daniel who suggested that the last ribbon might be a Messina 1908 earthquake commemorative medal - on the wrong ribbon. This has now been confirmed. The ribbon bar uses the Saxon DA ribbon, while the medal bar has the Saxon Honor Cross ribbon on it. But this guy was in Messina in 1908.

With the information that there were only two ships from the Imperial Navy in Messina (Hertha and Victoria Louise), Rick identified him as:

Wilhelm Peters

born Kiel 13 May 1888

Seekadett 1.4.08 (served on Victoria Louise)

Fähnrich zS

Lt zS 27.9.11 L5l

Olt zS 19.9.14 A5a

KaptLt zS 18.8.18 H

KorvKapt zS (E) 1.10.34 #7

Fregattenkapitän (E) 1.10.1939 #6

During WW1 he served as a Watch Officer on torpedo boats V156, V158, V67, S32, and S60 of the 12th half-Flotille/VI Flotille until October 1917. Then he went to Uboat School and was commandant there of the old training submarine "U-A" until April 1918, ending the war as an instructor there. Listed in the 1918 RL with EK1 and OK1. Went aD 30.7.20.

Recalled to the Navy in the 1930s.

1937 Marine Werft Wilhelmshaven

1938-1941 WBK Frankfurt/M. (that's probably where he got his South-German style ribbon bar with the Otto Schickle eagles), Torpedoschule Mürwik, Hafenkomdt. Le Treport and Dieppe

Died 3 March 1941 of a heart attack "at the front" as Fregattenkapitän.

Edited by webr55

Of course, a picture would be perfect, but at least we have this - thanks again to RickResearch! :cheers:

(MOH "Nachrichten Aus Luv und Lee" März 1941)

Wilhelm_Peters___Nachruf.jpg

Edited by webr55

Guest Rick Research

I've done the same thing myself, for my own satisfaction.

Sometimes we just... have to ... do things like this-- for our own peace of mind! :cheers:

well done!!!!! Congratulations!!

The Messina Medal on a Saxon Honor cross ribbon I have?nt seen until now..... Probably same as on the ribbon bar - they took something what looks at least a bit close to the correct ribbon.

Best regards

Daniel

Very cool! I always feel good when I see this happen. Interesting he mounted the Messina medal backwards! Perhaps he wanted no mistakes as to what it was!!

No, it is my understanding that, as the "friendliness" of Italy came to be called into question, you'd mount it so the king couldn't see out.

Hi webr55!

Nice clean bar... I am happy that you could win the bar at the HH auction! :beer:;)

I really like the Terremoto di Messina medal... very nice! I saw that quite often they the Ordenslieferanten used to closest match to the original ribbon...

Nice Ehrenkreuz f?r Frontk?mpfer marked Godet & Sohn (G & S), too!

Here's my bar for comparison of the above-mentioned medal and ribbon.

Ciao,

Claudio

Yes, Albert Trenkler, much older than the other two, was Marine Ingenieur on SMS Hertha in Messina 1908.

BTW, those two lower ribbon bars still have me puzzled. What lunatic put swords on the CO ribbon? And what is ribbon #2 on the Bavarian-style ribbon bar? (Or do they maybe not belong to the lot??)

I think they belong all together because I bought all bars at the same time from the same seller..... 4 ribbon bars with the Messina medal from TWO persons...................................of course possible but a bit unbelievable, or?

Guest Rick Research

Not 1934+... maybe it is somebody else's ribbon bar, collected by an Earthquake freak? :speechless1::cheeky:

Anyway, for all these BAD Germans (except for Claudio's which is Just Right :cheers: ) with the WRONG ribbons, here is one from the BRITISH navy, with what it is SUPPOSED to look like:

So there! :rolleyes:

Not 1934+... maybe it is somebody else's ribbon bar, collected by an Earthquake freak? :speechless1::cheeky:

As they are almost identical, too similar to be from two persons and furthermore came together, my guess is: the one on the right bottom belongs to the others and is the "youngest". He was awarded anything after the 1934 Honour Cross and the tailor just used a Red Eagle ribbon. I have no idea what this could be, but it has to be a n y t h i n g ...

[on a very strange position, by the way]

Edited by saschaw

• 8 months later...

Picture is bad, but this is the ribbon bar that was sold, too. Here again, outfitter has used the Saxon DA ribbon.

Strangely enough, the ribbon bar seems to have two golden eagles (25+ years), while the medal has silver+gold for 12-17 years. Not sure what to make of this, because he can't really have updated the DAs this way, skipping the silver+silver class.

Messina3.jpg

Edited by webr55