News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Die Ritter des Eisernen Kreuzes in alphabetischer Reihenfolge

As mentioned in this thread, I found in the New York Public Library's microfilm collection the following publication: Die Ritter des Eisernen Kreuzes in alphabetischer Reihenfolge, Band 1, Heft 1 and Heft 2.

Heft 1 was published in December 1914 and includes Iron Crosses 1st Class from A to Z and Iron Crosses 2nd Class from A to G.

Heft 2 was published in February 1915 and includes more EK1s, again from A to Z, and EK2s from H to K.

Apparently, these are it. No Heft 3 or Band 2 appeared to add EK2s from L to Z or more EK1s. I suppose by early 1915, the number of awards began to get out of hand, and the publisher gave up. There is a note at the end of the first Heft where the publisher says that these would appear periodically and when the war ended, they would be compiled in a nice bound volume. The introduction to the next Heft then apologizes for the delay in publishing new lists and promises faster service, as well as the hope to include citations why the Iron Cross was awarded. It was quite an ambitious task that events obviously overtook.

My scan of the document may be found at the link below. It is 63 pages long and 4.19 megabytes in size. A rough "guess-timate" based on the number of pages and average number of names per page is that there are about 4000 names - about 800 EK1s and 3200 EK2s.

http://home.att.net/~ordersandmedals3/Die_Ritter_des_EK.pdf

Best regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Danner

Dave,

very charitable of you to upload that!

I checked the same publication when I was at the Deutsche B?cherei in Leipzig a couple of weeks ago and that was also the extent of their holdings. It does appear that no further supplements were published.

Regards

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...