News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Peacekeeping Operations

Peacekeeping Operations Medals and Decorations

These missions of the Armed Forces can demand the unfolding of activities with external projection, in the mark of a cooperation with other states or in the breast of international organizations.

We can include the awards for he NATO, UN, OSCE, EU (PESD), etc organizations

As always, any contribution of the members will be good to enrich this thread, because strange it is the country that at the momment doesn't have an or several recompenses to reward these missions.

I will begin with the Spanish items

CROSSES OF THE MILITARY MERIT, OF THE NAVAL MERIT AND OF THE AERONAUTICAL MERIT (BLUE DIVISION)

With regulation approved in 2003, they are granted in category of GRAND CROSS, for general's and for the civil personnel that completes certain conditions and of CROSS, for the rest of the military and civil personnel.

They are good to reward actions, facts or extraordinary services that are carried out in derived operations of a command of the United Nations or in the frame of other international organizations, should be based in some of the following suppositions:

- Those that show, according to the cases, military value, command, serenity or initiative peacekeeping operations when they are developed in circumstances of risk unaware to the confrontation with hostile forces or that they are about impeding the execution of the commended mission.

- Those that credit an intelligent and effective acting of those made specific that they correspond to the forces in such operations, so they constitute an extraordinary merit appreciated by the control.

The Grand Cross, consists on a plaque of blasts in gold seventy millimeters of longitude, with the cross -described below- in the center, fringed of two lions and two castles in silver, and in a silk band, of the same colors that the ribbon of which pending the crosses, of a hundred millimeters wide, uniting in their ends with a knot of the same ribbon, with the cross, in gold, and subject to the band for a golden hoop.

The Cross, consists on a simple cross of four right arms white enameled with blue rectangles in the arms, with the edge in gold, of forty millimeters of longitude among their opposed arms. On the superior arm of the cross he rests a rectangle in gold that takes the date of the concession, finished off by a royal crown, also in gold.

Pending on a silk ribbon 30 x 10 mm

- Military Merit: white with a red central stripe and blue edges.

- Naval Merit: yellow with blue and red edges.

- Military Merit: white with blue and red edges.

The ribbon bars of these awards are constituted by the ribbon in the colors of the described crosses, of thirty millimeters of longitude for ten millimeters wide, mounted on a frame of golden metal, and framed by two lateral bars of this metal, of two millimeters wide and twelve millimeters long each one. On the ribbon and in their center, he goes incorporate the royal crown in gold, for Grand Cross

Also exist a 1st type 1995-2003, and other since 2003. The only difference is the Coat of Arms of the centerl of the crosses. Tha Naval Merit not changes

Military Merit crosses, blue division 1995-2003 and 2003-to date

Edited by Antonio Prieto

This Merit Badge, is also granted

Merit Badge for Peacekeeping Operations

Created in 1993, for their concession to the military, members of the Guardia Civil and civilian

With bars for each mission some with the name in english and also in spanish eg. ENDURING FREEDOM = LIBERTAD DURADERA

Edited by Antonio Prieto

See

http://www.medals.org.uk/nato/nato-text.htm

http://www.medals.lava.pl/int/int.htm (and scroll down to NATO)

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/cintas/cintasv.htm (and click on ORGANIZACI�N DEL TRATADO DEL ATL�NTICO NORTE (OTAN) | NORTH ATLANTIC TREATY ORGANIZATION (NATO))

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=601 (hidden among other things)

http://www.nato.int/ims/docu/medals.pdf (if you really want to just break down and GO TO THE SOURCE, and I'm sure you could find more than just this by poking about on their site)

Be careful with Wikipedia, as I have to tell my students all the time.

Or, if you can read Spanish, just get Antonio's books! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Gentlemen :cheers:

Is it a good idea to open a thread thats going to feature a lot of medals from all over the globe? in no particular sequence?

or is better to add these awards to the threads already opened for the posting of specific countries awards??

just a thought.

Kevin in Deva. :unsure:

Gentlemen :cheers:

Is it a good idea to open a thread thats going to feature a lot of medals from all over the globe? in no particular sequence?

or is better to add these awards to the threads already opened for the posting of specific countries awards??

just a thought.

Kevin in Deva. :unsure:

Good question. I could comfortably answer "Yes" or "No".

• 9 years later...

An interesting selection, both in terms of the missions covered and the, if I may say so, widely varying aesthetic appeal.  It must be very difficult to design a modern award which is both distinctive and visually appealing, but a couple of these look as though they were designed by a committee made up of the lowest bidders. :(

I am coming down on the side of 'peacekeeping medals here' as the common theme, in my mind, trumps the nationalities of the awarding agencies/governments.  My two cents worth.

• 3 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...
    On 14/11/2020 at 16:14, paul wood said:

Yes these EU medals lower the tone of a decent british group. They make the UN medal look ilke an artistic masterpiece.

p

I couldn’t agree more, truly awful looking thing!!! 

On 14/11/2020 at 16:38, Chris Boonzaier said:

Almost as bad as modern Australian ones!!!

Really I thought they looked ok? But am open to discussing any examples you’d like to share? ?

I always thought that American ones looked tacky, but even they are nicer than the EU ones! 

I maybe being totally bias here, but no country can hold a light to British medals (Jubilee medals excluded, I hasten to add).