News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Foreign Legion Member in the Great War

Mark Brewer

• 6 months later...
    • Replies 67
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I found the following entry in the School List of Nelson College in New Zealand and want to find out more info on his Foreign Legion service. How easy is this? How do I find out if he has a Legion d'Honneur recipient? Any guidance greatly appreciated. Mark.

Davidson, Edmund John, student 1893-94. Formerly of Onetana, Collingwood, N., later of N Battery, 3rd Artillery, USA, garrisoning Fort Munro in Virginia. Saw active service in South Africa with Canadian Scouts. In 1906 sa Scoutsw active against rebel Zulus as Captain of mounted troops; wounded; mentioned in despatches and awarded Distinguished Service Medal. Played 1st XV (rugby) 1894; represented Nelson in football v Auckland, 1895 and v Taranaki 1896.

Served in Great War (1914-18), Foreign Legion. Colonel, DSO.

According to my records E J Davidson served in the Canadian Scouts as a trooper

• 1 month later...

Lt Col James Waddell ,born Otago ,NZ 1872, a French citizen, buried in Levin NZ .As the amateur historian who rediscovered Waddells place in history in 1991 following a chance cab ride with a French passenger in Wellington, who challenged Uphams place in NZ history. I was then doubtful about the claims on Waddell, but when retired using my exNZsenior public servant skills I was determined to research the Waddell story ,which I did between 2007, & especially 2008, upto date . I gave all the material I uncovered to the NZ Press, TV & Waiouru Army Museum & Alexander Turnull Library. All but the Army Museum & TV responded, with excellent coverage from the Press that picked up many further aspects to the story, which I openly encouraged & still encourage.

All that Mark Brewer, Chris Boonzaier, Paul Charman, & Jasmin Pujji report on the web site is correct. Any doubts I first had where blown out of the water.

Refer Christchurch Press, Mike Crean "kiwi Man of Many Medal" April19,2008, D4,The Dominion PostE11,19 April2008 Peter kitchin,"Our fallen foreign hero". Front page Kapiti News 12 March 2008 David Haxton,"NZs forgotten hero", The Horowhenua Mail April 22,2010 Karen Gazley,also with UpperHutt Leader 5May2010 "Unsung War hero gets a belated Reveille",Paul Charman"NZs little Legionaire with his son inlaw Francois Martinez"Bay of Plenty Times,p21 November12, plus Paul Charmans report in the Herald April 22 2012already mentioned, Feedback History Channel@foxtel.com.au , etc etc etc

I feel I have just looked at the "tip of the iceberg "on Waddells achievements,as their are major gaps still missing especially in French archives<newspapers and goverment>and as he was married 3 times to French ladies in France , their must be family connections with long lost relatives still living in France , as well as in the Bay of Plenty NZ, . It is know he had 2 daughters born to his second wife ,Maud born 1922, remained in France. In addition their are the extreme Bullying incidents, that led NZ Prime Minister Richard Seddon to intervene with the British Colonial Office on Waddells behalf that forced a court marshall of those officers who basically regarded Waddell "as not coming from the right British Families to their Officer Corp & just a mere colonial".Waddell was the first kiwi through Canterbury Universty to gain on merit exams into the British officer corp. I would love access to the court marshal records to find out further details, because the incidents drove Waddell out of the British Army IN WHAT WAS TO BECOME BRITAINS LOSS AND FRANCES GAIN

For any doubters still out there on Waddells story, the following are my prime sources.1Dominion Newspaper 11 Nov 2000,"For King &Republic Warren Barton Whanganui.I rang him, asked for his source, he refered me to his wife, Waddells cousin, who also told me she had correspondence that showed that when France had their WW1 victory march under the Arch-de-Triumphe it was Waddell that took the salute on behalf of the French Foreign Legion.2All of Coppins papers already mentioned on this website with acknowledgement to Mary Slater, Librarian Defence HQ.3.The Oxford Companion to NZ Military History by Ian Mc Gibbon,4The Whanganui Chronicle 22 April1989 "NZ Forgotten Hero" by David Scouller5.RSA "Review" December2000 p13

6The most important and with grateful thanks< with lots of ps's on the All Blacks non performance> to Lietenant-colonel Guyot,Musee de la Legion etrangere, Quartier Vienot,BP.38,13998 Marseille Amees,

France, the offical service records of Waddell from 24/0/1900 when he joined the Foreign Legion as a second Liet to his end of service on 2/8/1920, that validated everthing ,yet raised many questions.7 www.diggerhistory2 French medals & like web sites.8Following a search for key NZ relatives a phone call from WaddelLs late son in law ANZAC day 2009, Francois Martinez then in his 80s . He raised many issues and questions that have still to be verified, but made it clear that when Waddell returned to Levin NZ in 1950 he shunned all publicity.I personally rate Waddell as one of our greatest combate soldiers and did for the French Foreign Legion in WW1, on a par with what Sir keith Park did for the RAF in the Battle of Britains WW2, irronically both slow to get any recognition, however I am far more interested to know how the French see him& I know their is significant interest shown in Wellington by the French Embassy on Waddell, with many French Ministers & Senior Officers laying wreaths on Waddells grave over the years especially on Armistice day

DAVE JOHNSTON PARAPARAUMU KAPITI NEW ZEALAND

• 4 years later...

Mark,

I came across site and this thread and felt compelled to leave a comment.

The Colonel (as he is known in my family) is my Great Grandfather and I myself am conducting some research which is how I came across this.

I just wanted to thank you for researching so passionately, it has been a pleasure to read!

If you intend to reply please do so privately, as I believe this is a Gentleman's page?

I believe Dave Johnston who was also researching my Great Grandfather a few years ago has replied to this thread, Dave you can also contact me on the below email.

I can be contacted on rebeccakmartinez75@hotmail.com

1 minute ago, Rebecca Martinez said:

If you intend to reply please do so privately, as I believe this is a Gentleman's page?

Hi Rebecca,

there is only one Gentleman here... and I be he!

The other members are just a bunch of guys... and some gals.... so welcome!!!

All the best

Chris (Gentleman) ;-)

Speaking as one of the not gentleman, I first have to say that Chris is NOT the only gentleman in the group!  That is to say, yes, we only have one, but Chris isn't him! ;)

Seriously, Rebecca, we are not so stuffy as to exclude women from the group.  Both Chris and I are married, for example, and have too much respect for our respective spice [the plural of 'spouse'] and our own continued well being to ever consider such a move.  You are more than welcome to browse, share and ask questions of all the members. In fact, as I am Canadian and Chris is a proud veteran of la legion, I'm sure we'd both love to see any information you'd care to share on The Colonel.

Dave, please feel free to chip in as well, and welcome, both of you to the Gentleperson's Military Interest Club!

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

9 hours ago, peter monahan said:

Speaking as one of the not gentleman, I first have to say that Chris is NOT the only gentleman in the group!  That is to say, yes, we only have one, but Chris isn't him! ;)

You are talking about Mervyn... but he passed on.... so I took his place.... :-)

On 5/26/2017 at 10:40, Chris Boonzaier said:

I am here.... just waiting for some country to hand over the reins to me......

Have you posted this on social media?

Try this: 'Willing to rule small to medium sized country.  No previous experience.  Salary negotiable.  Must include benefits package and bodyguard regiment.' ;)