News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Every Single 1870 EK Winner's Name and Unit List

• Replies 78
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

It is easy to use, simple to crop and enlarge-- Guinea Pig 1 reporting:

PERFECT IN EVERY WAY !!!!

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

here's the fellow above, later char. General der Kavallerie... and beat Rommel to the Nile by 60 years:

listed among the recipients who got BOTH classes at the same time!

:cheers:

WoW!

Score!

Id love to have a copy as well! But id reccommend you sell your services and keep this info protected, registered and demand the reason its required. Only thing is this info if made 100% public assessable and not controlled will aid fakers (and people padding up groups to sell at inflated prices of all sorts) in some ways! I know 100% sure there are many dealers who will skin people with "untouched and named groups"....

Best,

Pete

Edited by pete

Guest Rick Research

Totals are there because they are all numbered in alphabetical order. The award DATES are not there, but what we need most is knowing WHICH "Schmidt" got one, and in what unit, from which dates can then be found once we know where to look.

Actually, Alfred was still only a junior officer candidate:

This is PRECISELY the sort fo thing the Super List clarifies. :cheers:

I think we all know and have profited from Glenns selfless service to the collectors on this and other forums.

Detailed posts with info gleaned from thousands of hours of research.

Gas bills, train tickets, hotel costs in towns where the archives are. Xerox costs... etc. etc. etc...

I know this is a topic that makes Glenn a little bashful (well, about as bashful as a senior Guards NCO can be) as he does not want to start charging money for research, but I suggested to him that he not undersell himself on this.

He suggested a ballpark figure which I think is more than justified considering the time, effort and money his research costs and the immense research value that this represents.

I think we have waited decades for this, we can wait a tad longer while he sets himself up.

I would suggest a copyright thing that prevents someone making copies to ebay.

As soon as he is ready, my check will be in the mail :-)))))

I would suggest a copyright thing that prevents someone making copies to ebay.

As soon as he is ready, my check will be in the mail :-)))))

I agree with these two lines from Chris... definitely copyright this!!!!

and, I'm ready for one too (if and when the time is right).

Guest Rick Research

The indefatiguable Glenn's objection has been that he cannot "copyright" something which was printed by an Official Body--even as far back as 1877.

But HE is the one who travels, finds, and laboriously copies those dusty old forgotten "lost" and undreamt of sources, and is now willing to share all that research labour-- and SHOULD be properly compensated for his work. :cheers:

A similar issue affects Daniel's and my work with never published award rolls. In our case, we are not simply transcribing the Official Bodies' ledgers, we are ADDING (often massively) personal data and cross referencing awards.

It comes down to RESPECT for someone's long, hard efforts.

Hi gents,

Well it happens that there are a few companies out there who make a living selling scanned copies of Army Lists. Like :

<a href="http://youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk/</a>

I'd contact them re. digital copyrights - something they must have studied thoroughly.

I agree he cannot copyright the original material - but he can copyright his work - i.e. his scans !

The general idea should be :

- The original material is free of right (copyright lapsed)

- Scanning them creates a copyright on the scans.

- If someone finds the copyright-free material (another copy of the book), they can do whatever they want with it.

- However the scans themselves are yours and they can't be used commercially without your consent.

More here :

http://www.mda.org.uk/cdigi.htm

I'm not sure you could prevent someone from re-typing all the lists and commercialize that (but it's such a pain that I doubt anyone will).

Practically, the difficulty is to prove that the scan is yours (nothing looks like an old scanned page as well as another scanned page).

Or rather, to show they're yours to prevent someone from appropriating your scans to commercialize them.

So I'd recommend a watermark of sort on each page - a bit tedious when hundreds of pages are there, but that's the only practical way to deter piracy.

Go for it - there's potential here !

Cheers,

Jerome

Edited by Djedj

Hi,

I realise that copyright in the legal sense has no stand here.

I meant a copyright protector program m that will stop folks making copies of the disk for their Amigos and to ebay for "Buy it now: Ebay: USD3.99"

A simple question of making life difficult for crooked collectors.

Best

Chris

BTW - not sure if this is already known - there is also a list of all EK 1813 winners in:

"Ordens-Liste von den Rittern und Besitzern der königlich-preußischen Orden und Ehrenzeichen", published from 1811-1817.

Edited by webr55

Guest Rick Research

Ah-- but weren't they still handing out those weird "wait for a holder to die before your turn for having one" into the 1840s?

Ah-- but weren't they still handing out those weird "wait for a holder to die before your turn for having one" into the 1840s?

Ah okay, I didn't know about that. The 1817 list gives the holders of all Prussian orders and decorations including the EK by then.

Any registries in this list for:

Premier-Lieutenant Ottomar von Koehne-Deminski, Pommersches Ulanen-Regiment No. 4;

Feldwebel Hermann Wilhelm Sigismund Albrecht, 3. Rheinisches Infanterie-Regiment No. 29;

Feld-Intendanten Paul August Oswald Scheurich, 3. Armee-Corps?

Thx

Red

Any registries in this list for:

Premier-Lieutenant Ottomar von Koehne-Deminski, Pommersches Ulanen-Regiment No. 4;

Feldwebel Hermann Wilhelm Sigismund Albrecht, 3. Rheinisches Infanterie-Regiment No. 29;

Feld-Intendanten Paul August Oswald Scheurich, 3. Armee-Corps?

Thx

Red

Hi Red,

Regards

Glenn