News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Drago makers marks

Chris Boonzaier

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my only two

The top wings are from my BCCP/GCCP jacket dated 1951 that I posted previously. I don't think these wings had ever left the jacket!!

The bottom set are from my dated 1960 from my 8 R.P.I.Ma group.

Edited by Simon F

The 51'ers No "Depose"(excuse the spelling I don't know how to put the thingies over the letters) in the stamp and a 20 added. I am not too sure if that is a question mark on the end?

Edited by Simon F

1960s as you can see from your list Chris they have the markings of the 51-53 dated wings.

Is that a number I can see at the top of your first set of wings?

Edited by Simon F

Hallo Gents, :cheers:

is it possible to date a set of French Para wings produced by the firm of:

ANDOR 30 p(?) CHR. COLOMB. 94 - IVRY - FRANCE.

Post may be deleted or moved to a new Thread for French Para Wing Variations.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hi Kevin

I am not sure about dating these without a number? My understanding is that Andor, Delsart and Arthus Bertrand are the other manufacturer of badges. I think Drago are the preferred makers and that the other brands would be bought to be used for general wear to protect the Drago's. This is only what I have garnered from translated french text and could be way off!!??

Edited by Simon F

I was hoping that there would be other badges out there to share!?

Here is a 1953 set that have been cleaned and painted. Now I am unsure whether this is recent in the case of these particular wings? I asked my good friend Herl? who tells me it was and still is common practice to clean these badges to a gold patina and paint between the suspenders to make them smarter in appearance.

Well my last set to photograph, again dated 1953. There seems to be an inconsistency in what is printed in thread one and what are stamped on the reverse of all my 53 dated wings?

Edited by Simon F

Perhaps. My friend Herl? tells me that the wings with the "Reproduction" and "Interdite" are second pattern/model, perhaps that is the reason? I really must get some reference books!! :rolleyes:

Yes, more wings please, I am out!!

Edited by Simon F

Here is a link to a site that gives information on the majority of badge makers, it is translated through google, so needs a little careful reading but gives differing years to the Drago maker marks.

<a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...l%3Den%26sa%3DG" target="_blank">http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...l%3Den%26sa%3DG</a>

DRAGO:

Before 1940: 25 rue Beranger.

1944-1947: DRAGO, Paris-Nice.

1947-1952: 43 rue Olivier M?tra.

1952-1960: 3 rue de Romainville.

1960-1990: DRAGO, betting.

or

Gio Drago D Street Gioffredo Nice 1936-1944

D PN Drago unaddressed Paris or Nice 1936-1944

D B?r Drago 3 1936-1947

DOM Drago 43 1946-1952

D Rom Drago 3 1950-1959

D Drago 3 1956-1987

Drago Noisiel Marne D-Marne Valley 1988-1992

DAB Drago from Drago 1993 brand is acquired and exploited by Ets Arthus-Bertrand in Palaiseau

1990-1995: Marne-la-Vall?e.

This information is a little conflicting but does seem to indicate a period of overlap (1950 - 52) where wings/badges were made with both sets of markings, 43 rue and 3 rue, perhaps surplus stock after the change, two factories, etc?! This would seem to offer a feasible explanation to the markings on my sets dated 53?

Edited by Simon F

Hallo Gents, :cheers:

is it possible to date a set of French Para wings produced by the firm of:

ANDOR 30 p(?) CHR. COLOMB. 94 - IVRY - FRANCE.

Post may be deleted or moved to a new Thread for French Para Wing Variations.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Kevin, according to the above link:

ANDOR:

1960-1980: manufacturer of 60 to 80 years installed at Cannet in the Alpes-Maritimes.

Hope this gives you some idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

nice to come back on this very good forum...

i will try to help you about these wings...During Indochina period 5 jump school (2 in France, one in Algeria, two in indochina)

-There is 5 model of makers for wings for Indochina period (with some variant in some makers) some maker were only given to some jump school ...

-1? MOURGEON first maker of the wings (numbers around 3000 and under)

-2? DRAGO BERANGER

-Variant 1 : "DRAGO 25,R. BERANGER- PARIS III" "DEPOSE" (around 3000 to 5000)

-Variant 2 : "LES EDITIONS MILITAIRES" "DRAGO" "25 Rue BERANGER" "PARIS " "DEPOSE" (around 5000 to 10000)

-Variant 3 : same as number 2 except "EDITIONS MILITAIRES" and not "LES EDITIONS MILITAIRES"(around 10000 11000)

-Variant 4 : "DRAGO" "25 R. BERANGER" "DEPOSE" ( around 10000 to 30000)

-Variant 5 : "LES EDITION MILITAIRES" "DRAGO" "25 RUE BERANGER" "PARIS"( most common wings, numbers around 30000)

-3?BOUILLOT (only 3000 made) (numbers around 22000 to 28000) 1948 era

-4? AUGIS (numbers around 30000 to 55000)

-5? DRAGO OLIVIER METRA

-Variant 1 : " INSIGNES MILITAIRES" "DRAGO" "43,R.OLIVIER METRA" "PARIS 20?" (around 55000 to 75000)

-Variant 2 : "LES INSIGNES MILITAIRES" "DRAGO" "43, R. OLIVIER METRA" "PARIS" "REPRODUCTION" "INTERDITE" (around 75000 to 80000)

hope it helps

herl?

Hi herl? thanks for that information it starts to make more sense now.

I apologise for these not being Drago marked but was looking for an opinion on this latest bird, AUGIS dated for 1950.

This is from the previous link and the only info I can find on AUGIS makers marks. I don't know what grenu means as this has translated over from google I think it is granularity or granulated back. Thoughts?

A. AUGIS LYON / 28 Mte St Bartholomew

back on smooth and grenu aluminium from 1942 to 1952

A. AUGIS / 28 Mte St Bartholomew / LYON embossed on smooth cartridge

On grenu back from 1946 to 1960

A. AUGIS / 28 Mte St Bartholomew / LYON relief without cartridge

On grenu back from 1952 to 1970

Edited by Simon F

A. AUGIS LYON / 28 Mte St Bartholomew

back on smooth and grenu aluminium from 1942 to 1952

A. AUGIS / 28 Mte St Bartholomew / LYON embossed on smooth cartridge

On grenu back from 1946 to 1960

A. AUGIS / 28 Mte St Bartholomew / LYON relief without cartridge

On grenu back from 1952 to 1970

Hi,

all these list are to try to put a date on NORMAL insignia, wings doesn't use same rules!! All the marking that you can find on Indochina era wings are on the list i put before

I forgot another thing :jump school had number awarded before,so, my list is not "without errors" you can find some variant with lower or higher numbers that i put in the list

But i forgot Augis marking:

"INSIGNES ARTISTIQUES" "A. AUGIS" "28 M?e St BARTHELEMY" "LYON"

so, your Augis wings are the perfect example of good Indochina era!! (another thing to know, number were engraved at the factory so number on Augis wings ARE ALWAYS 2,5mm high, if not it's not period made)

qqbsjr.jpg

Bouillot example

nfrw44.jpg

drago B?ranger variant 4

Hope it's "clear"

herl