News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian T54/55 Tank

Hello Everyone,

I stated back in the winter that I pass a Russian T34 going to and from work. I was asked to post some photos so here they are. You will notice that it is in fact a T54/55 and not the T34 though the 54/55 is an improved version of the 34.

It sits in front of the parking lot for KW Surplus in Kitchener Ontario. The store actually sells only a few common modern military items (mostly trash) and is the place to go for industrial surplus items and a lot of odds and ends.

I hope the photos are clear enough as I took them in the very early morning so that I could avoid customers in the parking lot and the sun was too bright when facing east for good photos.

:cheers: Cheers

Brian

Here's a view of the top and one of the hatches. Yes, I climbed onto the tank (I told you it was early in the day).

It looked like you could access the tank by one of the hatches as the owner has chained it shut rather than welding it down.

Here is a shot of the track. It is not like the tracks I've seen on other tanks I've looked at but then they were mostly British and Canadian.

I took quite a few photos and burned them to a disc so I can add them to my collection but I won't take up a lot of space on the forum with them.

I hope you liked the T54/55.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Does it run? What they want for it? :rolleyes:

There is no motor and it was gutted. I actually know the fellow who sold this to KW Surplus so I had asked about it some time ago.

Since they could not tow the tank from the float to the display area it had to be set in place by crane.

How much?

It wasn't cheep and I maxed out my Visa card but it will be delivered Friday.

Just kidding, it's not for sale.

There is a show and sale for Military Vehicle Restoration folks this summer in Oshawa Ontario (I'm not sure of the date at this time) and my wife is attending it with me. She knows me all too well. If I saw an artillery piece (or tank) for sale there and I was left to my own devices ... ;)

:cheers: Cheers

Brian

:cheeky:

I love coming across this sort of thing unexpectedly - well, "dead" ones rather than hostile ones that is.

A few years ago I came across a T34 sitting next to a remote micro-brewery in Kent, the tank sitting outside "The Tank Bar" in Sarajevo was a little bit less of a surprise I suppose, & I've still got the photos somewhere of 3 x T34's I came across in the Golan in 1978 - painted red, yellow & blue & arranged as a monument.

In a clearing in some woods a few miles from where I live are a couple of Saracens & a "Pig", at the entrance to a paintball range.

In Darwin there's a 25 Pounder sitting on the veranda above the front door of the Returned Serviceman's League, which is quite a surprise when you first see it.

So how much does one of these things cost, these days? I would paint it tan and put Iraqi Insignia all over it...

Lorenzo

So how much does one of these things cost, these days? I would paint it tan and put Iraqi Insignia all over it...

Lorenzo

You might be able to get a few with all the Iraqi paint still on them, but they might have a bit of a "scorched" look to them! :cheeky: I remember seeing "yards" full of burned out iraqi vehicles in Kuwait!

I've seen these (photos) with Syrian markings.

I guess it was like the AK47, started in the USSR and found it's way into armies around the world.

Brian

Can you post them.....

Thank you

Lorenzo

Here is a shot of the track. It is not like the tracks I've seen on other tanks I've looked at but then they were mostly British and Canadian.

I took quite a few photos and burned them to a disc so I can add them to my collection but I won't take up a lot of space on the forum with them.

I hope you liked the T54/55.

Brian

Great pictures Brian, :beer:

If you watch the movie, saving Private Ryan, you will notice the same tracks on the "Tiger" Tank in the movie, it being a prop built around a Russian Tank, as the only running British owned Tiger was in pieces at Bovington having a complete refurbish at the time the movie was made.

Kevin (Ryan) in Deva :P

Can you post them.....

Thank you

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

The photos were on the internet but if I see them again I'll let you know the website.

That's the one problem with the internet, it is so large that if I don't save the site I forget where it was.

Cheers

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

although not a tank i was on holiday with me folks back in i think 97/98 and we were going downa motorway to the supermarket and there to my left was a fairly ganet!! well after me and me dad dropped off my sisters and mum we spent half an hour find where it was and chatted with the owned! was VERY cool! i even toke pics but as is always the case i can find em now!!! :unsure::banger::beer:

although not a tank i was on holiday with me folks back in i think 97/98 and we were going downa motorway to the supermarket and there to my left was a fairly ganet!! well after me and me dad dropped off my sisters and mum we spent half an hour find where it was and chatted with the owned! was VERY cool! i even toke pics but as is always the case i can find em now!!! :unsure::banger::beer:

Hi paddywack,

I hope you find the photos. I would be interested in seeing one of these aircraft. If I'm not mistaken the Fairey Gannets were sub hunters that sported 2 contra-rotating propellers in the nose of the plane. A unique craft that was also known as the ugliest aircraft in the world. :lol:

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

Hi paddywack,

I hope you find the photos. I would be interested in seeing one of these aircraft. If I'm not mistaken the Fairey Gannets were sub hunters that sported 2 contra-rotating propellers in the nose of the plane. A unique craft that was also known as the ugliest aircraft in the world. :lol:

Brian

yup thats the one!and actully i LOVE it!!! dont think shes ugly at all!!! :beer: