News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ODM of Surakarta, Indonesia

Hugh

The following images are posted courtesy of James Hoard. I've been fiddling with the s/w to get them resized, so any loss of quality is my fault. (hope this works, James)

INDONESIA / SURAKARTA - Breast star sash and sash badge of the Darjah Dato' Paduka Kanjeng Raden Haryo Tumenggung

Breast star, sash and sash badge of Darjah Dato' Seri Kanjeng Raden Haryo.

These awards were being conferred by the late Susuhanan of Surakarta, Paku Buwana XII. Included amongst them were several Malaysian Royals. However, the Susuhanan died in 2004 without naming an heir and there has been a succession dispute between two of his fifteen sons, so I do not know what has happened since then.

In earlier days there were other decorations, and the late PB XII himself was photographed wearing them but I have not been able to even find any details.

In earlier days there were other decorations, and the late PB XII himself was photographed wearing them but I have not been able to even find any details. The only thing I know is that the one below is called "Kasenapaten":

• 1 month later...

It appears that the decorations that I posted earlier may actually be "title badges" of sorts, rather than actual orders.

There is a website of sorts at http://rajasurakarta.com/darjah.html

However, the site seems to be written in Malaysian Bahasa by some sort of Malaysian group of recipeints. He high number of Malaysian and Chinese names would suggest that I may belong to the "gong hunting fraternity". There seem to be a lot of titles being used that have been "Malaysianised", and which would be unknown in Java. There is also a clear absence of understanding of Javanese forms and derivations. For example, "Haryo" and "Arya" are exactly the same. The former is the old transliteration for Romanised characters via Dutch pronunciation forms, the latter the modern Indonesian Bahasa. On the website, the oddly appear as two separate titles!

Anyway, here is some information on a few genuine Surakara orders, decorations and medals that may be of interest.

1. Orders

Bintang Kanjeng Kiai Suryawasesa: probably founded by Susuhanan Prabhu Sri Paku Buwana X as the highest ranking and most exclusive decoration of his realms. An eighteen-rayed bejewelled star, nine of which are long with nine shorter rays between them, no spaces between.

Bintang Kasenapaten: probably founded by Susuhanan Prabhu Sri Paku Buwana V in the middle of the nineteenth century. A sixteen-rayed bejewelled gold star, eight rays long and eight rays short, with spaces between the long and short rays. In the centre, a large and naturally cut polished saphire surrounded by a wide band of diamonds. Each of the eight short rays embellished with a red carbunckle at the base, towards the centre.

Bintang Kumpeni (the Order of the Company): founded by Susuhanan Prabhu Sri Paku Buwana IV to celebrate the alliance between Surakarta and the VOC. An eight-pointed star with ball-finials at the tips of each point. The points are straight but shallow, the inner "V" not extending very far inwards. A central round medallion containing a letter, similar to a stylised "eight" possibly the VOC symbol, and surrounded by a tight band of jewels. An outer band of large and small individual jewels half-way between the central medallion and the inner "V" of the star points.

Bintang Daendels (the Order of the Company): founded by Susuhanan Prabhu Sri Paku Buwana IV and named after Marshal H.W. Daendels, Governor-General of the Indies during the French occupation. An eight-pointed star in cut-silver, of shallow, rounded points, plain and without finials. An outer circular band of tightly encrusted jewels at the base of the "V" points of the star; within, four square gems: north, south, east and west; four round gems between the square ones. An inner circular medallion also with a stylised letter within.

The above orders seem to be extremely rare, probably only conferred on royalty. The following two awards are conferred relatively more widely. They have continued to be awarded since 1948 and about five or six are still conferred every year.

2. Decorations

Bintang Sri Kabadya: instituted by Susuhanan Prabhu Sri Paku Buwana X in 1893. Awarded in three classes (1. First Class or Bintang Sri Kabadya Tingat I, 2. Second Class or Bintang Sri Kabadya Tingat II, and 3. Medali Sri Kabadya Third Class or Tingat III).

Bintang Sri Nugraha (The Star of Honour): instituted by Susuhanan Prabhu Sri Paku Buwana X 16th September 1904. Apparently insituted in substitution for the award of the Pujung Sri Nugraha (Umbrella of Honour) to two Dutch citizens on 3rd February 1903 after the Dutch authorities objected to the "insult" of such a native award to Dutch subjects. Awarded in three classes (1. First Class or Bintang Sri Nugraha Tingat I, 2. Second Class or Bintang Sri Nugraha Tingat II, and 3. Third Class or Medali Sri Nugraha Tingat III).

3. Medals.

Paku Buwana X Silver Jubilee Medal: instituted by Susuhanan Prabhu Sri Paku Buwana X to commemorate the 25th anniversary of his accession to the throne on 3rd January 1929. Awarded in two classes (1. First Class in gilt, and 2. Second Class in silver). Inscribed - Tanggal 12 Ramelan Tahun JE, 1822-1862 and 29-11-1866 ? 3-1-1929 (CE).

Paku Buwana X 40th Anniversary Medal: instituted by Susuhanan Prabhu Sri Paku Buwana X to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of his accession to the throne on 21st January 1932. Awarded in two classes (1. First Class in gilt, and 2. Second Class in silver). This medal sometimes turns up amongst Dutch military groups.

Gusti Raden Ayu Sekar Kedaton Medal: instituted by Susuhanan Prabhu Sri Paku Buwana X to commemorate the sixteenth birthday and the marriage of his most senior ranking daughter, Princess Kuswinayah, on 2nd October 1934. Awarded in two classes (1. First Class in gilt, and 2. Second Class in silver). Inscribed - Gusti Raden Ayu Sekar Kedaton Kuswinayah tumbuk yuswo 16 tahun, Selasa Wage tanggal 22 Jumadi al-akhir tahun wawu 1849-1865 (JE) and 28-9-1919 ? 2-10-1934 (or 1936) (CE)".

Apparently, there was also a rather fine medal in silver that in appearance has a bus similar to that on the Paku Buwana X Silver Jubilee Medal, but was encrusted with diamonds or precious stones. Conferred on King Leopold III of Belgium when he visited Java in 1935.

Cheers,

James Hoard

Bintang Kasenapaten

A bit curious, James. I couldn't get anything on the Bahasa Melayu site to open.

Hugh

Hello Hugh,

It opened for me but the pictures posted on the site took a very long time to load. Perhaps this may have caused a "time out" with your programme. Are you using Explorer 6 or above?

Cheers,

James

Hello Hugh,

It opened for me but the pictures posted on the site took a very long time to load. Perhaps this may have caused a "time out" with your programme. Are you using Explorer 6 or above?

Cheers,

James

Yes, I'm using IE 7. I'll try having a little patience (not my strong suit).

Thanks,

Hugh

• 2 months later...

Hi James,

The website www.rajasurakarta.com was written by some Malaysian recepients. They had Malaysianised the Javanese aristocratic titles to Malaysian equivalent of just 'Datos'. The known Javanese titles are like Kanjeng Radens or Kanjeng Pengirans, like the latest confered by Paku Buwono XIII on Prince Henry of Belgium, Kanjeng Pengiran Arya Adipati. And the recepients of these Javanese titles had to follow certain Javanese rituals and oath taking ceremony when the titles were confered on them.

Rgds,

Kanjeng Raden

Hi James,

The website www.rajasurakarta.com was written by some Malaysian recepients. They had Malaysianised the Javanese aristocratic titles to Malaysian equivalent of just 'Datos'. The known Javanese titles are like Kanjeng Radens or Kanjeng Pengirans, like the latest confered by Paku Buwono XIII on Prince Henry of Belgium, Kanjeng Pengiran Arya Adipati. And the recepients of these Javanese titles had to follow certain Javanese rituals and oath taking ceremony when the titles were confered on them.

Rgds,

Kanjeng Raden

I am afraid that does not explain the gobbledegook on the website.

Kanjeng Pangeran Arya Adipati is the Javanese title for a high ranking Royal Prince, perhaps loosely equivalent to the Russian Grand Duke or Austrian Archduke. The Malaysian equivalent would be something like Tengku Besar. Such titles are reserved for Royalty, though once in a blue moon they may be conferred on a Royal son-in-law or brother-in-law, provided he held high office and was especially distinguished. They are simply not distributed willy nilly to rich businessmen.

Dato, which is equivalent to a knighthood, is in nd entirely different and much more junior league. In no way can it be regarded as equivalent.

Cheers,

James

I am afraid that does not explain the gobbledegook on the website.

Kanjeng Pangeran Arya Adipati is the Javanese title for a high ranking Royal Prince, perhaps loosely equivalent to the Russian Grand Duke or Austrian Archduke. The Malaysian equivalent would be something like Tengku Besar. Such titles are reserved for Royalty, though once in a blue moon they may be conferred on a Royal son-in-law or brother-in-law, provided he held high office and was especially distinguished. They are simply not distributed willy nilly to rich businessmen.

Dato, which is equivalent to a knighthood, is in nd entirely different and much more junior league. In no way can it be regarded as equivalent.

Cheers,

James

Kanjeng Pengiran Arya Adipati & Kanjeng Raden Ayu Adipati were confered by Paku Buwono XIII on Prince Henry of Belgium & Kartika Sari Sukarno Putri in the last 'Jumenengan'. I can't even attempt to explain the 'gobbledegook' on that website. I did try to put in some comment in their guest book on the writer's idea of putting equivalents to Javanese titles but instead of getting a fair reply it was just conveniently erased.

Rgds,

Kanjeng Raden

Kanjeng Pengiran Arya Adipati & Kanjeng Raden Ayu Adipati were confered by Paku Buwono XIII on Prince Henry of Belgium & Kartika Sari Sukarno Putri in the last 'Jumenengan'. I can't even attempt to explain the 'gobbledegook' on that website. I did try to put in some comment in their guest book on the writer's idea of putting equivalents to Javanese titles but instead of getting a fair reply it was just conveniently erased.

Rgds,

Kanjeng Raden

As I said before, Kanjeng Pangiran Arya Adipati is the Javanese title for a high ranking Prince. It is not the equivalent of "Dato". Prince Henry is a high ranking Royal Prince.

Raden Ayu is a title of much more junior rank for the wife or widow of a titled individual. Kanjeng Raden Ayu Adipati is slightly higher. Kanjeng is actually a style of address such as "your honour" or "his/her highness" but has no real equivalent in translation.

But I do not understand the point that you are trying to make. What have the conferments of either of these titles got to do with the supposed orders or decorations on the website?

Are we to assume that because a gong hunter "establishes" an "Order of the Prince of Wales" and because EIIR has conferred the title of Prince of Wales on someone, that "order" is, consequently, an official British state order?

With best regards,

James

• 2 years later...

Hello Gentlemen,from a recent trip in Singapore a local dealer sold me this.

It's from the Sultanate of Surakarta : Bintang Sri Nugraha 4th Class (the javanese figure for 4 looks like our 3,but it's definitely a 4th class).

Very good quality bronze and struck in 1 piece.Ribbon seems to be the one it was originally awarded with.

Emmanuel

post-5264-017462300 1290298490_thumb.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Bintang Sri Nugraha Class I

Cheers,

James Hoard

Hello James,is this 1st Class a medal you own ? Is the badge struck in 1 piece ,or is center separately struck ?

Look the post concerning the 4th Class of that same award I recently purchased in Singapore,watch oak leaf around center,on the picture of the 1st class you have posted the center seems to be inverted.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Hello James,is this 1st Class a medal you own ? Is the badge struck in 1 piece ,or is center separately struck ?

Look the post concerning the 4th Class of that same award I recently purchased in Singapore,watch oak leaf around center,on the picture of the 1st class you have posted the center seems to be inverted.

Regards.

Emmanuel

yup, you right emmanuel, it's like "looking in the mirror"

the Javanese letter are inverted so it's difficult for me to read it (i have learn to read Javanese letter at elementary school)

Bintang Sri Nugraha Class I

Cheers,

James Hoard

it's looks like have been repaired on it ring suspension, but the repairer can't did that well, it's upside down..:speechless:

it must be stated: PAKUBUWANA, 1, and SRI NUGRAHA..

and the wreath is not oakleaves, but rice and cotton's stalk, it's Javanese symbol of food and clothes (for prosperity i think)

Hello Emmanuel,

The original image was from a dealer (in Australia?) to a friend of mine. But the decoration seemed that it had been heavily and not wery well repaired, the "enamalling" looked like paint, so he did not go ahead with the purchase.

The ribbon is also a modern ribbon, as handed out by the Susuhanan of Surakarta from the 1980s/1990s.

Cheers,

James

• 3 months later...