News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

JNA peacekeepers

Jugoslavian national army (JNA) between 1956 and 1991 took part in some United Nations peacekeeping misions:

- UNEF (1956 ? 1967),

- UNYOM (1963 ? 1964),

- ONUC (1960 ? 1964),

- UNIIMOG (1988 ? 1991),

- UNAVEM (1989 ? 1991) and

- UNTAG (1989 ? 1990).

In my collection I have some items which are connected with these UN peacekeeping misions.

Edited by sebastian

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some UNEF pins. These pins were presented to soldiers who took part in UNEF mission. There are different dates on these badges. These dates indicate year when the soldier served in the mission. On my pins there are the following dates: 1959, 1960, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965 and 1967.

Again- i learned something very new here. Thanks for posting. I had no idea that Yugoslavia had been so active in the Un peacekeeping operations. There's quite a bit about them in the UN sites.

Yugoslav soldiers arriving in the Siani on May 8, 1961.

sebastian,

I think that the two small "medals" for the UNEF you are looking for information on are not medals but momentos of those who served in the force. Nice to see that someone has put together a collection of artifacts from Yugoslavias service in the UN. I am doing something along the same lines for Hungary (HUPR) but these things are not that common.

Regards,

Gordon

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Gordon for information about the two small UNEF "medals".

Today I would like to share with you a photo, which shows yugoslavian soldiers from UNEF I or UNYOM mission. I find it very interesting. Soldiers wear uniforms which are not standard yugoslavian uniforms. I even assume that these uniforms are not of yugoslavian origine but that they are of canadian origine. Can anybody identify these uniforms?

Regards, Sebastijan

sebastian,

I think that the two small "medals" for the UNEF you are looking for information on are not medals but momentos of those who served in the force. Nice to see that someone has put together a collection of artifacts from Yugoslavias service in the UN. I am doing something along the same lines for Hungary (HUPR) but these things are not that common.

Regards,

Gordon

Hallo Gordon, :cheers:

I think you have hit the nail on the head, I too believe these to be unofficial mementos

of service in U.N.E.F. possibly Key chains / Key rings.

In most areas the UN operate in small cottage industry's spring up selling such items as souvenirs

to the troops involved on the missions.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

sebastian,

The cap being worn by the man in the uniform in the centre of the picture wears a hat very similar, or identical, to the hat Canadian soldiers wore while on U.N missions early in their peace keeping role. I don't know about the uniforms but I will send the picture on to some friends that would know if they are Canadian uniforms. From the picture they could be from any army.

Regards,

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of interest, who are the manufacturer of the beret & badge? Italian made badge?

Unfortunately there are no manufacturer markings neither on the beret nor on the badge. So I can't tell you who are the manufacturers. But I don't belive they are italian made. As I said in a post above I belive they are of canadian origine.

I would also like to found out the origine of these items and will be gratefull for any information. So I post here pictures of the under side of the beret and of the badge.

Edited by sebastian

The badge would indeed appear to be Italian made, a heavy badge, gilt & white enamel with an insubstantial brooch fitting which has a tendency to break very easily in wear. The enamel chips off very easily in wear, & is often found to be "touched up" with white paint - looks like the one you show has had this treatment. Good quality, very poorly designed for its purpose though. Nowadays replaced by plated & painted versions (with butterfly clips?).

All I know about these is that they were being issued in UNFICYP in 1978, they were issued in little transparent paper envelopes with manufacturers details printed in green. Unfortunately I can't find mine at the moment.

The beret, by it's size marking could be Canadian, British, New Zealand etc manufacturer. Somebody familiar with the different manufacturers styles may be able to identify it from the style of stitching etc.

Items of UN uniform & equipment issued to an individualare not all necessarily produced in one particular country, a British made beret may be issued with an Italian made badge, it all depends on the date & the UN Mission.

Some items will be private purchase, eg I have a French made UN beret with, I think, a French made badge, aquired from the Turkish military in Bosnia, & what are probably East Timor, China, Singapore or Indonesia or thereabouts made UN beret badges in white paint on plated metal & light blue paint on plated metal which would be worn in East Timor on New Zealand manufactured UN issued berets.