News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medaille de la Reconnaissance Francaise

Bob

As posted in the wanted section, I'm looking for a bronze class version of this medal to go with the documents awarded to my grandfather and make the set "complete" again.

Apparently he was awarded this for helping a French pilot evade the Germans after he was shot down in southern Netherlands.

Will be posting scans of the doc/letter in a minute.

Couldn't really find much info on this award here on GMIC - any additional insights would be greatly appreciated (e.g. can I have this researched in French archives?).

Thanks,

Bob

Guest Rick Research

I have only seen 2 of these medals and they were both named on the reverse, so you'll never be able to make a "set" except for obverse display if they WERE all officially issued named. :(

I have only seen 2 of these medals and they were both named on the reverse, so you'll never be able to make a "set" except for obverse display if they WERE all officially issued named. :(

:banger: oh well, would still like to find one just for visual perspective (and the medal / docs can keep each other company despite having been seperated from their original brothers)

makes you wish people were more careful with their own personal history - half a year ago or so I obtained (after long nagging to my Russian ex-boss to share with me the medals/name of her grandfather from St Petersburg) doc's from the archives in Moscow and shared this with her. Her husband translated, her mother was in tears touched by this info coming available... and there I was telling my ex-boss "no, i don't want your grandfathers medals, please keep them together with the research and give them to your son when he's 18"... after a while she "got it" and went back to dig in old boxes in St Petersburg and found various photographs of him in uniform... now all of it is together and kept safely as a bit of family heritage.

Oh well, I'm getting off course here - anybody know if I can research in French archives my own grandfather? (he's not French by the way)

Guest Rick Research

Oooo, I forget other people aren't as ancient as me-- my grandfather was born in 1894. I thought you meant 1914-18 Reconnaissance Medals. :banger:

I have NO idea what 1939-45 ones have on back!

PS I've heard of that F. Mitterand character. :rolleyes:

Oooo, I forget other people aren't as ancient as me-- my grandfather was born in 1894. I thought you meant 1914-18 Reconnaissance Medals. :banger:

I have NO idea what 1939-45 ones have on back!

You need a :cheers:

From some quick googling I've seen a couple of pics without anything special on reverse. Now, just to actually find one for sale!

Any good French dealer site that I can frequent going forward to check up on whether they have one in stock?

Hello Gents,

Here's the WW2 model in bronze :

11v1i5k.jpg2rrx6pu.jpg

These medals were awarded unnamed ...

Cheers,

Hendrik

Thanks Hendrik - any significance to the difference with the following one: http://www.medal-medaille.com/product_info...roducts_id=3585

And would the type 1 (not on medal-medailles.com) then be the type awarded for WW1?

Bob

Edited by Bob

Here's the 1st model :

aos842.jpguyptc.jpg

Also awarded unnamed.

The one on the medal-medaille site is the second model (never heard of there being two types of the second model !) with a palm device that shouldn't be there ...

Cheers,

Hendrik

... just looked up the price for the bronze 2nd model type in a 2002 (!) dealer's catalogue : 16 Euros. I'm sure its price hasn't doubled in the meantime !

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hmmm - some more googling required then. I think I read somewhere that 15000 or so were awarded which would make it not very common I guess.

Guest Rick Research

16 Euros for risking a Nazi firing squad and concentration camp for the whole family, if not hostages from the community as well!!!! :banger:

Ahhhh, the "retail market!" :speechless:

The "Pieta" type 1st model is what I've seen-- maybe named beause those recipients were British?

My French grandfather was awarded several decorations in The Great War (L?gion d'Honneur, Croix du Geuerre, Croix du Guerre de Belge). Some years ago, my French-Engish uncle and I secured copies of the two Croix de Guerre, which had gone missing. As I recall, we contacted the Interior Ministry, which, with the proper paperwork, sent us the missing medals, without charge if I remember correctly... You might be able to follow that route--- if you are willing to face and deal with the French bureaucracy. Btw: it is not for nothing, that the French do NOT have a word for FUN! lol

---Cartoonman

My French grandfather was awarded several decorations in The Great War (L?gion d'Honneur, Croix du Geuerre, Croix du Guerre de Belge). Some years ago, my French-Engish uncle and I secured copies of the two Croix de Guerre, which had gone missing. As I recall, we contacted the Interior Ministry, which, with the proper paperwork, sent us the missing medals, without charge if I remember correctly... You might be able to follow that route--- if you are willing to face and deal with the French bureaucracy. Btw: it is not for nothing, that the French do NOT have a word for FUN! lol

---Cartoonman

That's the encouragement I needed :jumping:

Will be jumping behind my computer to write a letter with a request for a re-issue of the award + copies of any documentation they may have in their archives. Am sure, if it even comes to anything, that it'll take a while... but we're patient fellows here at GMIC:) Keeping my fingers crossed. Any update will be posted here of course.

Thanks all for your help.

Bob

Great to hear, or, I'm sorry we encouraged you, depending on how it turns out! :rolleyes: Every time I go to the French Consulate in DC, for passport renewal, changes to the Carte d'Identit?, etc., I never know who/what I will encounter...

Hey, that's a thought! Are you close to DC, or a city with a French Consulate? You might get help or suggestions if you call. Remember: say very nice things about the French if you call... never hurts, might help! :blush:

Cartoonman

That's the encouragement I needed :jumping:

Will be jumping behind my computer to write a letter with a request for a re-issue of the award + copies of any documentation they may have in their archives. Am sure, if it even comes to anything, that it'll take a while... but we're patient fellows here at GMIC:) Keeping my fingers crossed. Any update will be posted here of course.

Thanks all for your help.

Bob

Since my mother's family is French, we've had some dealings with bureaucracy. My grandfather died in Canada in 1944, and there is a file in Ottawa under Alien Property, since he left some bequests to his family. There is a story that my mother forwarded some legal papers to a member of her firm serving in France with the Canadian Army to get the necessary signatures.

Another time, one of my father's partners notarized some papers, but the consulate refused to accept them. He then got some ribbon and sealing wax, and they went right through.

I'm well trained in bureaucracy in Belgium... for 2 months (!!!!) I've been trying to get cable TV installed in my house... you'd think they'd be happy to get a paying customer...