News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

IRON CROSS for non German nationals

There is a fantastic Turkish belt Buckle shown in the Buckles forum and I saw within the thread some great photos of Turks wearing Iron Crosses.

I wonder how many other nationalities have won an Iron Cross - because I never knew non Germans could get one.

I am a new boy to this, so excuse my ignorance if those are not Iron Crosses.

Rowan

Don't know if it counts as 'foreigners', but from the end of the 2. Danish-Prussian war (1864) to the end of WWI (1918 or actually 1920) the southern part of Jutland was under German command.

Danes living in this area was forced to fight on the German side during WWI and some earned the Iron Cross. After the plebiscite in 1920 where the area returned to Denmark they were permitted to keep wearing it.

/Mike

Don't know if it counts as 'foreigners', but from the end of the 2. Danish-Prussian war (1864) to the end of WWI (1918 or actually 1920) the southern part of Jutland was under German command.

Danes living in this area was forced to fight on the German side during WWI and some earned the Iron Cross. After the plebiscite in 1920 where the area returned to Denmark they were permitted to keep wearing it.

/Mike

And were later awarded the Ehrenkreuz...

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3398...mp;#entry319166

;-)

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

I think I read somewhere of an Englishman, holder of the VC no less, that was also awarded an EK2, I think the guy was a frontline surgeon and aided German soldiers at some point.

I will try to find the reference.

C

Sorry it took a while, too much to type out, so just scanned the whole article, with respect to the original writer Alec Purves, Medal News March 1991.

C

Dutch luitenant-generaal Th. F. J. Muller Massis (1866-1948)

43op0kk.jpg

the medal bar of the Dutch luitenant-generaal Th. F. J. Muller Massis is very interesting, this one and the bar of mannerheim are the only with an iron cross and french L?gion d'honneur cross together I have seen till now.

1970615.gif