News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi Rank shoulder slides

Paul R

My question is easy... how does one tell if a set of Saddam era rank slides are reproduction or the real deal? I have seen lots of purported reproductions on certain sites and Ebay(Surprise Surprise). What traits should I look for to separate the real insignia over the reproductions?

The reason I ask is that I found a nice set to a Major General(Shoulder boards, beret, and party pin). I am confident in this source, but if I wanted to dabble on my own with Ebay, I just want to know what to look out for!

Paul

• Replies 116
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My question is easy... how does one tell if a set of Saddam era rank slides are reproduction or the real deal? I have seen lots of purported reproductions on certain sites and Ebay(Surprise Surprise). What traits should I look for to separate the real insignia over the reproductions?

The reason I ask is that I found a nice set to a Major General(Shoulder boards, beret, and party pin). I am confident in this source, but if I wanted to dabble on my own with Ebay, I just want to know what to look out for!

Paul

Paul

Easy, unless it came from Saddam Himself it is not origianl, there is a company in Baghdad, Iraq making them he was the original manufacturer of uniforms and Insignia at the time of the Regim. Now they are being sold by Trident Company. To me that is a reproduction, of an original of one of Saddam's Rank sleeves.

The one William has is not an original nither, we must find out which company was responsible for manufacturing the Uniforms and Insignia for the Members of the Hussein Family.

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Paul

Easy, unless it came from Saddam Himself it is not origianl, there is a company in Baghdad, Iraq making them he was the original manufacturer of uniforms and Insignia at the time of the Regim. Now they are being sold by Trident Company. To me that is a reproduction, of an original of one of Saddam's Rank sleeves.

The one William has is not an original nither, we must find out which company was responsible for manufacturing the Uniforms and Insignia for the Members of the Hussein Family.

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

Who is William?

I was not asking about Saddam's personal insignia. I was asking about shoulder boards from the time period between Desert Storm and OIF. How can I tell the difference between insignia made during the "Saddam" time period and the repros being sold by that Company?

Hi Lorenzo,

Who is William?

I was not asking about Saddam's personal insignia. I was asking about shoulder boards from the time period between Desert Storm and OIF. How can I tell the difference between insignia made during the "Saddam" time period and the repros being sold by that Company?

Paul

look at the stars, they have a stitch line across them and the eagle has drawn out detail, The higher ranks use briter gold color yellow with the flag pattern in color, the flag design is across not down. I seen them in my friends collection in Baghdad, none of them were for sell. They had very beautiful detail, many Iraqi officers don't care where the rank insignia came from they just wear it, I have been seeing that a lot here latley very cheap looking: I met the Field Marshal of the 10th IA Divison his looked very nicely detailed.

Paul try to get you a set from Trident Militaria he can get you the closes to the real thing:

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

See the thickness of the red bar on the insignia of this Brigadier General Rank I have from my collection, this is how thick it should be.

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for your words of experience.

Are those Cabinet Level boards the real deal? I would love to find some of those!

The set that I am getting for a Major General is real. There were brought back, with the beret and party pin in 2003. I can hardly wait to show you.

Is the red stripe "velvet" like material?

I will stay away from Trident, as I want the real pre 2003 items.

Paul

Paul

I really look forward to seeing them, Here is a set that was unused:

My friend was selling this last month type of boards like Saddam Wore on his uniform during the late 1980's

Lorenzo

Here is a set of field Rank Insignia that I received from ym Iraqi Brigadier General Friend:

Seem design as the Army one I posted:

Lorenzo

Very nice Lorenzo!! Now, I noticed that there are some Army shoulder boards without the red stripe. What does this mean? How do people advance without it?

Paul

I dont know I will have to ask my friend AirVice Marshal General George Sada, he was the second highest General in the Iraqi Airforce. I will ask him by e-mail and he will reply, please give me time for he has busy sceduals and his replys may take time.

Lorenzo

I thougt that the red stripe indiacted completion of the Iraqi military college. Here are a few of mine from an IA Colonels uniform.

Sivart :cheers:

This is an original and it is very beautiful great detail and manufactured with care: How did you get a hold of it???

Very Beautiful can you post a picture of the reverse side for me so I can see the work that went into it???

Thank You

Lorenzo

Desert Pattern

Sivart :cheers:

Here is another very beautiful detailed Rank Sleeve for the Desert Cammo very Nice: :love:

Can you post a picture of the reverse side???

Thank you

Lorenzo

Sorry Lorenzo, until I get home this is all that I have. I am at my wfe's mercy when it comes to photographing new items or getting various angles of items in my collection. She barely tolerates my hobby as it is, no need to poke the bee's nest if I want any honey when I get back!

Sivart

Sorry Lorenzo, until I get home this is all that I have. I am at my wfe's mercy when it comes to photographing new items or getting various angles of items in my collection. She barely tolerates my hobby as it is, no need to poke the bee's nest if I want any honey when I get back!

Sivart

I under stand your position there!! LOL.

Those are some great pieces. Is the General Still on active duty?

• 2 weeks later...

Sivart

There were other leaders before Saddam Hussein that held the Rank of Field Marshal.

The Rank for Saddam is Mushir in Iraq is known as "Muhib" this Rank Makes Saddam the Commander and Cheif of all armies in Iraq. He never served in the Military but because of his dictatorship held this Rank. Saddam Was the only Person in Iraq to ware this rank. The rank now has been removed from the rank structure of Iraq's Militaries, sence 2003 the fall of Saddam Hussein.

Paul to answer your question: Saddam was the only one to ware this Rank sleeve; and now it is no longer being used due to it's removel in the Iraqi Military Rank Structure.

Lorenzo

• 1 month later...

Hello gentlemen,

today I show you one part of a sample card from the manufachturer of the slip-on`s. This company has arround the years 1995 up to 1998 (they told me) a big order for iraq.

They prepared the sample card for their on archive.

I show it to you how it is.

Maybe I can find the missing parts in their archive, because the goods are fixe with tape.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks

Guest IMHF

Hello gentlemen,

today I show you one part of a sample card from the manufachturer of the slip-on`s. This company has arround the years 1995 up to 1998 (they told me) a big order for iraq.

They prepared the sample card for their on archive.

I show it to you how it is.

Maybe I can find the missing parts in their archive, because the goods are fixe with tape.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks

Do you know what company manufactured them, I love the German Manufactured Insignia Rank Sleeves. The picture here you have for display is not really great. It seems to be a Rank Sleeve for a 2nd Lt. Now being a Sample of a rank sleeve don't know how you can determine that from the mass produced rank sleeve.

Here is a few of the Gemran Manufactured Insignia 1990-91

Hi Lorenzo,

yes I know the german manufacturer. And I am sure, that I know which items are made there. I often see slip-ons which are made in china or in other places. Fabric, ribbon and way of seewing ist important. Also the embroidery on itsef.

Okay you are right, the picture is bad. I will do better fotos, but the samle card is arround 100 x 60 cm. So I have to do it pair by pair.

I left germany for one week, so please wait.

Maybe I remove the slip-ons from the card an use a scanner.

You are right. This grade is a 2 lt.. with one star. One stick-on-label is written by hand on top of the pair.

Thank you

Hi Lorenzo,

yes I know the german manufacturer. And I am sure, that I know which items are made there. I often see slip-ons which are made in china or in other places. Fabric, ribbon and way of seewing ist important. Also the embroidery on itsef.

Okay you are right, the picture is bad. I will do better fotos, but the samle card is arround 100 x 60 cm. So I have to do it pair by pair.

I left germany for one week, so please wait.

Maybe I remove the slip-ons from the card an use a scanner.

You are right. This grade is a 2 lt.. with one star. One stick-on-label is written by hand on top of the pair.

Thank you

Gentlemen,

We spend hours speculating over what is fake or real when it comes to these cloth items in and from Iraq.

Welcome to the real world where serious collectors understand what they are both looking at and what they are looking for.

At a monetary and serious collecting level, I am sure that no manufacturer has made his millions yet on these so-called collectors items.

I suggest you regard these items as examples of what was used and respect them as such.

I can have great sets of cloth insignia manufactured in Omdurman if they are required, guaranteed original as well.

I suggest you rather go for provenance and attribution of cloth insignia.

Regards,

Will