News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion of Honor-Officer

Tim B

Thanks you again my friend!!jumping.gif

The only one I could come close to, was Loret & Fils (L.et.Fils), but they used a lory for their mark circa 1878.

Good to know; so I assume the center motif is a bag of money or a vase?? Not another animal like a crawling polar bear in a snowstorm??tongue.gif

All the best and many thanks again!beer.gif

Tim

Edited by Tim B

• Replies 67
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh! Now that I know what I am looking for; I can finally see the wolf and understand the mark for George Aucoc. So this mark is different from the one you shown earlier for this maker, but I can now see the "G" above and the "A" below the true to form, 'elusive' Wolf.ninja.gif

What do you make of the small secondary diamond mark in the 11 O'clock position to the larger diamond?

I may be slow, but I'm learning!beer.gif

Tim

Hi Tim

For Lemaître, it is not a bag of money or a vase :shame: It is a GRENADE,a good old one, with flames... :P

For The mark of Georges Aucoc, it happens that the first strike missed, so the jeweller made a second over the first missed one.

Edited by Bison

Okay, got it. Thought the shape was a little off for a ball & flame "bomb", but understand this was a common symbol back then.

On the Aucoc stamp, yes, I wondered if it might be mistamped as it appears there is a slight indentation to the right as well. It just looked like the upper left stamp might have been smaller to begin with. Either way, good information and happy to know what I know on it now.

Thanks again, as always!beer.gif

Tim

• 9 months later...

Bought some new loops the other day and can now confirm 100% the LoH in post #23 is definately that of Adrien Chobillon. :cheers:

I should do a quick thread on loops and what makes it, and what doesn't. :P

Tim

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am new to this forum, although I am collecting LOH for a while.

This is a nice Officer marked on the ring- V.L. with a crown over them

Because I have Commander of LOH from Second Empire by Victor Lemoine marked V.L. with a crown on top, I assume that this Officer is made by Victor lemoine, the son of Ouizille Lemoine.

It come s in a nice Lemoine Fills/Martin-Bescon Officer case.

I have not seen any clear mark of Ouizille Lemoine (apart from the plaques on the back of the Breast Stars)

My qestion is also when Victor started making LOH? ..did he make them together with his father or independently?

Regards

Graf

Hi,

I am new to this forum, although I am collecting LOH for a while.

This is a nice Officer marked on the ring- V.L. with a crown over them

Because I have Commander of LOH from Second Empire by Victor Lemoine marked V.L. with a crown on top, I assume that this Officer is made by Victor lemoine, the son of Ouizille Lemoine.

It come s in a nice Lemoine Fills/Martin-Bescon Officer case.

I have not seen any clear mark of Ouizille Lemoine (apart from the plaques on the back of the Breast Stars)

My qestion is also when Victor started making LOH? ..did he make them together with his father or independently?

Regards

Graf

Hi Graf,

First, Armand Ouizille and Guillaume Lemoine are two different persons who associated circa 1815. Victor Lemoine is the son of Armand and started to work in 1861. He inherited the company and changed the name in "Ouizille-Lemoine, Lemoine Fils successeur".

Hope this answers your question.

Bison

Hi Bison,

Thank you for your expert information.

Now it is much more clear to me who is who

It also explains that quite a few LOH made during the Second Empire and Thirt Republic were made by Victor Lemoine.

I have few LOH from these two periods presumably made by V.Lemoine The maker;s marks, although slightly different in shape, have V.L. with a crown on top

Do you have any data base with pictures of the Victor Lemoine marks

Can you recommend any book or site, which I can use as reference for makers marks

Kind Regards

Graf

Hi

In fact, you can find several marks for Victor Lemoine. They show always the letters V.L., a crown and a star of the LOH

Here are some pictures. Most of them have been made by g_deploige (also member of GMIC). I hope he will not blame me to use his pics.

Concerning a reference documentation, I suggest you to get the book of Guy Deploige : "Les Distinctions Honorifiques de la Collection Brouwet", Musée Royal de l'Armée de Bruxelles. see http://www.klm-mra.be/klm-new/frans/boeken/brouwet_fr/index.html The book is in French and Dutch, but the illustrations are self explanatory !

Regards

Edited by Bison

Hi Bison,

Thank you for the pictures. and the information.

These are exactly some of the marks on my LOHs

I do not know whether the differenf marks indiciate different period of making

Most of the 2-nd Empire LOH have the mark on the first picture, while those ones from 3-rd Republic have the marks from the second picture with the star above the letters. I am just making a wild gess.

I will contact Guy re: the book

Regards

Graf

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'm new comer in GMIC. I'm quite interested in collecting LOHs but my knowledge is limited on them.

I came across a LOH-cavalier in very poor condition but a little different from others. :o

On this order's reverse side, the flags displayed in an opposite way compared to others.

Is it a special edition, or some mistakes happened, or it is a fake one?

Thank you for your kindly assistance.

Regards

Grige

86_b16e1340855384dc01a75ce23eebc.jpg

86_c41e13408553858b7bb5486353b58.jpg

Hi Grige,

It is a very common Order from the III Republic.Knight Class in a very poor codition.

Nothing special with the flags,, just maker variation

I am not an expert as some of the other members, however i can tell you that it is not worth to spend your money on it.

You can find in much better and near mint codition on Internet or EBay ..or perhaps in your own town

Regards

Graf

• 3 years later...