News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Who is this Veterinarian?

I've had this picture for a few years now, but have never been able to figure out what his name is. The reverse of the picture reads "Oberstabsveterin?r Dr. Rasc????". Can anyone tell me what his name is, and if any information is available about him?

Thank you!

28t9vsx.jpg

sxdjk9.jpg

Edited by ItemCo16527

Guest Rick Research

Veterinary Major RASENACK.

Unfortunately, as his awards show, he was not a regular, so not in any of the Rank Lists.

Will check offline what turns up on him as any kind of WW1 reservist. He could have been something like a n infantry Leutnant dR then and gone to veterinary school afterwards.

Awaards are 1914 iron Cross 2nd Class with 1939 repeat Spange, WW2 KVK2X, Hindenburg CrossX and 1919-21 Silesian Eagle 2nd Class.

Very interesting "Brussel sprout" haircut. :rolleyes:

Note his student dueling club scar right down the center of his left cheek just hitting the edge of his lips and all the way down under his chin. :speechless1:

Thank you, Rick. I saw this photo in a box at a show, and the combination of his EKII w/ clasp, the scar, the the veterinarian insignia was just too interesting to pass by. Thanks also for identifying the last ribbon (forgot to put that in my original post). I could never figure that one out either.

Guest Rick Research

Rasenacks seem to have been an exclusively Berlin tribe. He was not living there in (randomly selected) 1936.

The ONLY Rasenack I find in the 1915 and first half of 1916 Prussian Militär Wochenblätter was a Vizefeldwebel commissioned Leutnant der Landwehr I Pioniere in 1. Landsturm Pionier Kompagnie der III. Aremeekorps on 16 May 1916.

Not necessarily HIM, since I don;'t have 1914, the rest of 1916, an index for the half of 1917 I have got the weeklies for, or the rest of the war.

But wouldn't be at all surprised for a wartime combatant officer to have chosen an unexpected civilian career afterwards.

There is some sort of online directory of German doctorate holders-- dunno wheree that is. Might provide first name. It's a rare enough name there can't have been TWO who were veterinarians under the Weimar Republic.

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much, Glenn! I'd completely forgotten that I'd posted this request. I did a quick Google search for Otto Rasenack, and apparently he'd authored some articles and at least one book, and had been a director of some kind in West Germany with regard to slaughterhouses. He was still alive around 1968. When I have some more time, I'm going to do some more in depth research.

Thank you again!!!

Jeff