News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Ww2 Shoulder Boards

Looking for some help on any information about the WW2 era Bulgarian shoulder board system. IE - what were the colors of the boards for the various units and service branches? A nice color plate would be a big help.

Thanks in advance!

I hadn't noticed your question. I don't have a color plate or scheme, but can show you some actual boards that show the colors. Here you are:

pagoni1.jpg

Upper row, left to right:

1. Air Force - sky blue color of the base piping, same color on the rank stripes on the face of the board /the rank stripes are faded here/. This board has silver color face metal threading. There was gold color, too.

2. AAA - air force blue base piping, but red rank stripe on the metal threading face of the board

3. Engineer

4. Labour officer. there was some kind of distinction - Labour Officers and Officers of the Labour Duty. One of these had the boards on the photo, the other had similar, but more going to bright green.

5. Cavalry

6. Looks like cavalry, but yellow color - I believe it is the color of the tank unit.

7. Military of H.M. School cadet

Lower row, left to right:

1. NCO combat uniform board

2. Infantry and artillery parade uniform board /infantry had lion on the button, the artillery had cannons/.

3. Infantry and artillery combat uniform board

4. Signals officer board

5. Doctor

6. Again Doctor. There were 2 kinds of emblems - glass with 2 snakes and wreath and glass with snakes only. One designated human doctor, the other - veterinary. Don't remember which was what.

7. Tank men board.

Of course, I may have made some mistake, all rights /for mistakes/ reserved :whistle:

Edited by Theodor

There are some more types, which I do not have to show. For example, border troops - bright green color. Or horse-tug mountain artillery - looks like ordinary combat board for the infantry, but has the zigzag element of the Cavalry.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-494-125057958458.jpgAnd here are the back sides of the boards, to better show the colors:

The Police is blue, like the Doctor boards. But I do not know about the gendarmerie. And BTW there were two of them - Gendarmerie in the Army, established in the beginning of the 20 century and Gendarmerie in the Police, established on 19 February 1944, to fight the partisan plague.

Edited by Theodor

The Police is blue, like the Doctor boards. But I do not know about the gendarmerie. And BTW there were two of them - Gendarmerie in the Army, established in the beginning of the 20 century and Gendarmerie in the Police, established on 19 February 1944, to fight the partisan plague.

Once again - thanks for the information. I hope you may be able to find out the colors of the board for me? I have a gendarmerie uniform with the brown collar and litzen, but no boards. I would assume this would be an army gendarmerie?

So far no luck with the colors, the answer may be buried in the Military Archive.

I have lost of photos, but all are packed right now, so here is an image borrowed from the net. The uniform color was red. For the parade uniform. There was also more ordinary uniform in dark blue color, but with the same gallon decorative stuff.

Edited by Theodor

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

Here is a picture of my Collection of Bulgarian Shoulder Boards

You can see the police ones with the insignia BDP The letters are interlocked. I do not have on my keyboard the Kirilic Alphabet

Regards

Graf

Theodor - many thanks. I have been searching on the web, and nothing. Do you know what the color combination is supposed to be for the police and the gendarmerie?

Bulgarian police uniform:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/36494-pre-1945-bulgarian-police-officer-uniform/

Dear Members,

This posting is somehow related to the topic regarding the Gendarmerie.

I collect Documens as well

I have this very nice and rare Certificate - 1937 for Successfull Complition of the Gendarmery Academy

I want to share it with you

Regards

Graf

• 5 years later...

I'd like to lift up the 8-years old thread - the picture from post #2 does not come up, I'd like to know how the 1945-1955 boards looked like. From what I found 1955+ were the copies of M46 Soviet ones (6 cornered with stars). What was in between? 

• 1 month later...
    • 3 years later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 2 months later...