Designated by letter - eg Infantry Depot "B" was that of the Lowland regiments, Infantry Depot "E" that of the regiments recruited in the counties of Yorkshire & Northumberland, Infantry Depot "J" that of the various regiments of Light Infantry.
In 1948 the depots adopted names, thus Infantry Depot "B" became the Lowland Brigade, Infantry Depot "E" the Yorkshire & Northumberland Brigade & Infantry Depot "J" The Light Infantry Brigade, & regimental depots gave way to centralised training by the new, named depots.
At the same time, the regular battalions of line infantry regiments were reduced to a single battalion, & cross postings became more common between the regiments of a depot.
During the next 20 years a large number of amalgamations but only two disbandments of infantry regiments took place, & the brigades themselves also underwent a process of change.
In the Defence Review announced in July 1957 the infantry of the line was to be reorganised, a series of amalgamations taking place.
In 1958, Brigade cap badges, were introduced to be worn instead of the regimental ones.
Some Brigades adopted a Brigade pattern of collar badge or button although some regiments retained regimental pattern collar badges etc.
Sometimes these insignia were of "new" amalgamated regiments which never had a regimental cap badge, or at least, its regular battalion did’nt – ironically some TA units wore regimental cap badges complete with battle honours won by their regular battalion while the regulars wore Brigade badges.
In 1968 the Training Brigades gave way to administrative divisions - a simplification would be that eg, The Fusilier Brigade became The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, the Home Counties Brigade became The Queen's Regiment & the East Anglian Brigade became The Royal Anglian Regiment, all three regiments being part of The Queen's Division.
By this time all of the regular line infantry still survived in one form or another, albeit most in amalgamated form, other than the two which had chosen disbandment over amalgamation.
The cap badges of the Training Brigades, circa 1958 - circa 1968:
Edited by leigh kitchen, 23 September 2009 - 17:28 .