News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help to identify several generals

Guest Rick Research

#4 is Generalmajor Ernst von Chrismar (1865-1941). He is confusing things by wearing ONLY his wartime awards (and RAO4 alone of his peacetime decorations).

#4 is Generalmajor Ernst von Chrismar (1865-1941). He is confusing things by wearing ONLY his wartime awards (and RAO4 alone of his peacetime decorations).

Thanks a lot, Rick! Forgive my ignorance, but where exactly is von Chrismar anong those high ranking officers? :unsure: Is he depicted separately on so-called "close-ups" I posted as fragments?

Guest Rick Research

Post #4. Oh-- your "close up #2."

He has left off his 1897 Medal and pre-war Bavarian MMV. Very strange! From the diminutive size of his Baden Military Karl Friedrich Merit Order in the middle of his bar, I'd say he's wearing a re-issued Napoleonic era award.

Niice pic and I assume it is a meeting of former Members of FAR 65.

Guy number 1 is GenMaj a.D. Karl Ludwig Lang,

he retired as Col and CO of FAR 65 long before WW1 ans was recalled as Cdr POW-Camp Rastatt, finally promoted to GenMaj.

Awards: RAO4, KO2, EK2 70, DA, BZ2b, BZ3bX, BrH3a, HP3a, WK2c, WF3a

born 1850, died 1926

Greetings

Daniel

P.S. is it possible to get a good scan of Lang?

Niice pic and I assume it is a meeting of former Members of FAR 65.

Guy number 1 is GenMaj a.D. Karl Ludwig Lang,

he retired as Col and CO of FAR 65 long before WW1 ans was recalled as Cdr POW-Camp Rastatt, finally promoted to GenMaj.

Awards: RAO4, KO2, EK2 70, DA, BZ2b, BZ3bX, BrH3a, HP3a, WK2c, WF3a

born 1850, died 1926

Greetings

Daniel

P.S. is it possible to get a good scan of Lang?

Thanks a lot for your information, Daniel! As for the high quality scan, please let me know your e-mail by sending a private message and i'll forward it to you. As far as I understand the file size is limited by 70 Kb only...

• 5 years later...

Hi - I am Mark von Chrismar - the great grandson of General Major Ernst von Chrismar. It was amazing to come across this photo of him. I am currently reading his extensive and vivid War memoires and would love to identify his awards in the photo. I have identified most across the central (main) bar, but what are the ones around his neck and down the front of the tunic. Is that his EK1 on the left breast pocket?. and is the actual medal missing on the far right? Sorry to resume this thread after so long but it would be good to know with a view to possibly building up a complete replica collection... (I can only speculate that the original medals may be with one of his grandsons in the Netherlands... Many thanks.

Dear Mark, please find attcahed a better scan of the fragment. Note there's an Ottoman "Harb Madalyasi" hardly visible fixed just below the right breast pocket. Prussian EK II and Verwundetenabzeichen "in Schwarz" are on the left side of his tunic.

Hi Freiwillige and MattyBoy, Thanks so much for your replies (sorry it took me so long to acknowledge but I had some difficulty navigating the website. Thanks for the improved scan and some further identification of the medals. Still a bit unclear on some... is it possible that he would also wear his father, (Eugen's) medals? His father was also in the German military (Badischer Leibgrenadier Regiment) and later Gendarmerie (Freiburg) He was the recipient in later life of the Prussian Kronen Orden Kl.2 which he wore around his neck apparently. His father's other medals I have no idea of...The second photo of my Great Grandfather I have proudly displayed on my piano! The archival documentation I had not seen and I have been fascinated so far by it (but still going through it) Just wanted to fire off this thank you to you both. If you are able to assist further with any information, I'd be grateful. And likewise if I have anything I think you might be interested in. Best Wishes Mark vC