News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kriegsmarine badges in wear.

• Replies 309
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fabulous photo Martin ! Great combination of badges and I'd imagine pretty rare if not unique for someone to have served on Blockade Breakers, HSKs and Heavy Surface Units.

Thanks Gordon,

after a little searching i found some more info on this officer.

His name is Ludolf Petersen and he was the First Officer on the Stier.Prior to this he served as a prize officer on the Heavy Cruisers "Lutzow" and "Admiral Scheer".

He also served on the Hilfskreuzer "Pinguin" under Ernst-Felix Kruder,for whom he had taken part of the captured flotilla of Norwegian Whalers from the Antarctic Ocean back to Bordeaux.

He was also a first officer of the Hamburg-Amerika Line freighter "Kiel",which he sucessfully brought through the British blockade in 1939.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Martin: Just a touch more info about your LzS d.R (on PINGUIN) Ludolf Petersen Photo. He was also a member of DUSQUESA Prize Crew. He transfered from ADMIRAL SCHEER to PINGUIN as a Prize Officer. Placed aboard one of PINGUIN's captured Norwegian whalers, the STAR XXI, and successfully sailed it to Bordeaux. And of course later went on to sail aboard STIER as an OLtnzS d.R.

Thanks Joe,

i knew i could rely on you for some detailed information. ;)

This photo arrived today.Field grey uniforms,one with the Destroyer badge and one with the HSF badge.

Regards,Martin.

Great post and great photos.

Staying with the Field Grey theme. Here are four relaxing.

From the left (unknown), then blocked by glue.."mmel" with a minesweeper, then Kröger with EK2, HSF and a minesweeper (possible to figure which big ship?) and finally "Roesch" with the EK2 and the HSF (maybe researchable too)!

Joe

Another one I like--these come in with lots and I keep them for trade fodder....

Anyway: 3 mineseeper visible, 2 WW1 u-boat badges, a Silesian Eagle first class, a Duty Watch Officer Badge, and EK1 and some various sport badges.

Joe

• 8 months later...

Here is another recent addition.

It is hard to find just one photo with the 2nd pattern S-Boat badge in wear and here we have five 2nd pattern's in one image.

This is not an original print but one i just made in the darkroom from the original glass negative.

Regards,Martin.

post-1906-048682900 1291573324_thumb.jpg

I managed to pick up a couple of these glass 9x12 cm negatives that came from a studio in Ventspils,Latvia.

Here is a nicely detailed print from another negative that shows the HSF badge in wear.

Regards,Martin.

post-1906-016481300 1291573916_thumb.jpg

This is not an original print but one i just made in the darkroom from the original glass negative.

Regards,Martin.

Fantastic Martin! Not only the find of the negatives but also your darkroom skills...a rare talent nowadays.beer.gif

Best regards,

---Norm

Thanks for the replies gents.

Dan,

the wound badge is not cut out.I have posted a detail image below.

Norm,

i had fun printing these old glass neg's.I had not been in the darkroom for some months,so it was fun to get in there and "splash around in chemicals" for a while. :whistle:

I think i mentioned to you that i was in the photo buisness for over 35 years.I got out when everything went digital.

I guess i was "old school".

Large format B&W photography was my love and guys like Adams and Weston were my mentors.

Hardy,

i really like that photo with the BB badge in wear.Too bad you still do not have it.

Regards,Martin.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...