News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Albania - Albanian threads index

Bob

Hi Bob,

I think this is a modern production (possibly post WW2). The red enamel eagles of the trophy ate taken from the grand star of Scanderbeg Order Italian period (1940). The four eagles between the cross arms are taken from the grand star of the Besa Order Italian period (1940). Albania do not use decorations of cross shaped, because is a many-religious country.

Regards,

Artan

Greetings,

Thanks to all contributors for their efforts on this thread.

An early 1980’s Graf Klenau auction catalog contains the earliest known [to me] image of this type insignia identified as belonging to an Albanian langue of the Roman Catholic Order of Malta.  The catalog illustrates both a collar and a pinback breast badge.  Supposedly Count Ciano instigated formation of this langue as a component of his campaign to become the Albanian head of state in 1939.  When that initiative failed, the project did too.  

I contacted the Roman Catholic Order of Malta at least five times in the 1980’s-‘90’s, including personal visits to Via dei Condotti, regarding this purported langue.  Authorities there dismissed the possibility of an Albanian langue’s existence even as a proposed concept, let alone acknowledged existence of an insignia description.   Nonetheless, I have seen three collars, a neck badge or two and at least five pinback crosses in this style.  I cannot opine whether they are sample pieces, fabrications for eager or avaricious or gullible collectors or represent an as yet unknown different still-born project.   

If the Roman Catholic Order of Malta still denies a ca. 1939 Albanian langue proposal then these are almost certainly fantasy pieces.   Another possibility may be that some pseudo Order or association discovered the design and proceeded to have insignia made for their own ends.   I suspect that’s the raison d’etre for the single headed black enamel Scanderbeg type insignia [Bob's post 25 above].  An alleged Scanderbeg family member of the branch resident in Italy for the past 500 or so years instituted at least three decorations in the 1870’s-90’s.  This could be another such creature.    

Bob’s post 15 Honor Collar of Albania image closely tracks with examples manufactured by Bertrand for Leka I in the 1970’s-‘80’s.  

The firm 'Worth' manufactured the Leka II - Elia marriage medals shown in Bob's post 24 above [note "W" stamped on suspension ball reverse].  Cased exemplars destined for wedding guests were positioned at their place settings during the State Dinner offered by the Albanian government following the marriage ceremonies.  The cases may be seen there in internet images of the event; at one point a guest handles one but the images are not clear enough to distinguish details.  A very few persons having strong ties to the newlyweds or who offered them superior services  who did not attend the wedding or dinner also received cased medals. 

image.png

Edited by 922F
    spelchek

Artan,

Good to hear from you and thanks for your image!  In an on-line video of the event, thought I saw someone who resembles you at the State Dinner.  Some of the cases have the recipient's name written on white sticky tape fixed to the outside case bottom.

• 1 month later...

Couldn’t quickly find another thread to post this so doing it here.

just saw this at for sale at Militalia in Milan... went to drink a beer and think it over and when i came back it was sold and gone (perhaps to a forum member?)

nice!

52E41E28-9107-4EC9-A38E-A1037ED9A8DE.jpeg

Also some other items - is the small red medal also Albanian?

BC779D49-C8C6-4A41-826B-90C9036DEFA3.jpeg

6F969BAD-2242-40DC-8530-F9097A7AF880.jpeg

Bob--did you get a price for these?   All very desirable!!   The epaulets have been forged so cannot offer definite opinion on them.   Did you get a view of the button details or reverse?  If they're 'linked' to the belt they may well be originals.  Have seen only 4 of these Albanian belts [supposedly for officers and court officials] for sale in over 50 years; only one other in this good of a condition.  Last one in this condition sold for about $250 or so a few years ago.   Both epaulets & belts were supplied by Unione Militare and sometimes so marked.

Medal is one of the Albanian fascist party/related items.  It's described in the MILITES article--have to consult my copy now stored away.  Related things at ...

Hi - I asked the seller what the belt + epaulets went for and he told me 2000 Euro. I never got the chance to get them in my hands as they were sold while I was reflecting on them over a beer.

Did not ask about the other items.

Edited by Bob

WOW!! some price--I'd have needed more than a few beers' consideration!    

I gave a wrong attribution for the 6 point 'medal' you saw.   Militaria, not MILITES, 2nd year #11, p. 47 of June 1994 IDs it as a Star of Merit of the G.L.A. [ Gioventù del Littorio Albanese--Youth of the Albanian Lictor--an Italian orchestrated Albanian fascist youth organization].   It seems unclear whether it was a formally awarded distinction.  This is only the 2nd one I've ever heard of; the other was in a dealer's shop in Rome at least 10 years ago.

See    http://spazioinwind.libero.it/littorio/org/gal-i.htm for info on the G.L.A.

There's a Florence Nightingale medal in that image next to the Red Cross award--another rare bird!  

Yes, had the FN medal in my hand. Awarded in 1939 to a Serbian nurse. 4000 Euro was too much for me to branch out and start with these though... despite this medal being very rare and interesting. I still regret not having said yes to an offer a LONG time ago to buy one which had been awarded to a Mongolian nurse.

Thanks for the link - interesting!

And indeed, 2000 Euro was a rather hefty amount. I am not 100% certain of course whether the eventual buyer also paid that amount or more (or less).

• 1 month later...

Just in... an epaulette belonging to King Zog: "silver-plated with embossed crescent moons and monogram "AZ" fastened with pins underneath the crown of Skanderbeg. Silver bullion fringes. The back lined with black and white wool, the formerly gilt flap with raised manufacturer’s inscription "Unione Militare Roma"."

A second one appears to have been sold at a French auction years ago. Fingers crossed to unite them.

IMG_3069.jpg.34225441a0f3032f6a22d33a7d032a5d.jpgIMG_3071.jpg.f9e087ecbcac4a090c43de2fb8cde358.jpgIMG_3073.jpg.16c2ecec38ed2ab898e8c55bebf97947.jpgIMG_3075.jpg.5cc3421d82ecd396b6db96aa8eb9cbab.jpgIMG_3077.jpg.67f230b38120ae84e09f2ee861dd3157.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 05/05/2019 at 23:08, 922F said:

Bob--did you get a price for these?   All very desirable!!   The epaulets have been forged so cannot offer definite opinion on them.   Did you get a view of the button details or reverse?  If they're 'linked' to the belt they may well be originals.  Have seen only 4 of these Albanian belts [supposedly for officers and court officials] for sale in over 50 years; only one other in this good of a condition.  Last one in this condition sold for about $250 or so a few years ago.   Both epaulets & belts were supplied by Unione Militare and sometimes so marked.

Medal is one of the Albanian fascist party/related items.  It's described in the MILITES article--have to consult my copy now stored away.  Related things at ...

That medal of Albanian Fascist Youth i have seen only one time in Tirana.

Medalje Rinia Shqiptare e Liktorit.JPG

• 1 year later...