News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

two imperial photos

Noor

Hi all,

I got two photos last week and I am seeking some extra information

Photo No 1.

Private? Second award is 300 years of Romanov's... but what can be the first one? From what period this uniform is from? Russo-Japanese war/WW1?

14893169a6b3a3_l.jpg

14893173fd7486_o.jpg

Photo 2.

What uniform is that? I am pretty sure it has to be some kind a civil official...unsure.gif

148931712fc841_l.jpg

• 3 months later...

I know now that on the first picture there is a sergeant, lieutenant or "sverhsrochnosluzhaschih". He is wearing Medal For Zeal on the St.Stanislaus ribbon and 300 Years of the Romanov's dynasty medal.

Still this civil clerk picture bothers me. Like I understand most of imperial Russia officials and Army as well used white uniforms (post, railway, etc).

Also his uniform don’t look "freshest", he looks old himself and he is missing hat badge, I think he may be a retired actually.

But even in this case, worked for a government at least as a XIV class official for some period of time, he should have received something else a well – lowest St.Anne, St.Stanislaus or at least some medals. Maybe he was all of his life so low grade person that he didn’t fit to the "Табель о рангах"? At lest looks like he is very proud of that medal on the picture!

More ideas about this shot would be great!cheers.gif

• 3 months later...

One soldier in traditional Russian Army uniform

172307499cafb8_l.jpg

Is this Corporal (Jefreitor), is there anything else what is possible "to read out" from that shot? I presume Red Cross photos are not so common then regular soldier's portraits?

17230747637de1_l.jpg

interesting what he hiding in the boket:whistle:

172307453f47a9_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did some research on internet but didn't found anything.... what regiment (polk) was No. 247 and where it was based before WW1 broke out? Western Russia somewhere?

Picture has been made 1915 25th April.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Here is one of my best and one of the rarest imperial Russian era photo what I have in my humble collection:

On the photo you can see low rank officer from the Vladimir Military School what was previously known as infantry Junker School (Владимирское военное училище, Санкт-Петербургское пехотное юнкерское училище) based on Saint Petersburg.

Junker schools in Russia were introduced in 1864. They were usually located next to district headquarters in a given region. Junker schools prepared low-rank military for officer rank. St. Petersburg infantry Junker School opened on 1st December 1869.

In 1910, school was renamed (Order Nr 363 of the Military Office, 1910) in memory of Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich of the former army Chief of the Guard and the St. Petersburg Military District, which administers college were more than 24 years to - Vladimir Military School.

6th April 1913 a Vladimir Military School badge was for graduation.

After outbreak of the World War I Vladimir Military School switched to 4 months fast courses where the graduated received a rank ensign (прапорщик).

The officers and cadets of the Vladimir school did not accept the Bolshevik coup in October 1917. 29th October 1917 Junker disarmed the guards guarding the school, was arrested Commissars Military Revolutionary Committee, and within days rebels fought back, despite the shelling of the building. The Bolsheviks brought up three-inch guns of the fortress and the red battery opened direct fire on the building.

According to the Menshevik newspaper "New Life" during the siege was wounded and killed about 200 cadets and 71 people became victim to “justice”.

6th November 1917 College disbanded.

Nothing special in there? But what makes this picture so rare is...

Person on the picture is women! Because there weren’t many females officers in the imperial Russian army, it shows that she must be some noble origin.

Like I had been advised, there was only 25 female graduated in the Vladimir Military School. 21 of them got killed in the Russian Civil War (1917–1923). Of course beeing on the "white" side.

175998430c2311_o.jpg

close up:

17599845658d99_o.jpg

Here is one of my best and one of the rarest imperial Russian era photo what I have in my humble collection:

...Person on the picture is women! Because there weren't many females officers in the imperial Russian army, it shows that she must be some noble origin.

Like I had been advised, there was only 25 female graduated in the Vladimir Military School. 21 of them got killed in the Russian Civil War (19171923). Of course beeing on the "white" side.

IMHO it is a sort of masquerade. Look. The uniform isn't the right size for the girl. May be it is her brother uniform. I have saw a few same photos.

Edited by Sergey W

IMHO it is a sort of masquerade. Look. The uniform isn't the right size for the girl. May be it is her brother uniform. I have saw a few same photos.

Thank you for your answer Sergey!

I got few similar answers from other forum. Even so, I am sure the photo is great to have and is not common. I just followed details with my research what I saw.

Meantime, I am familiar with the fact that girls, who brohers, boyfriends, etc served, wanted to pose with the uniform. However, these courses where girls was allowed in this praticular school took place during the war period only, it make the chance to this kind a leasure pictures smaller. Also I don't see so massive differences on the size in there - common practice in Russian army - wear the uniform what was available. Again, you can be correct and I am wrong - it is just probably something what is impossible to confirm now.

Spasibo bolshoje,

Timo

Hi Timo.

I agree with you. Photo is rather good.

One extra argument. Look. The girl had an earring. It was impossible.

The females joined army during WWI were not to wear such things with uniform.

Sergey

Edited by Sergey W