News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Foreign Legion Medal Group

ralstona

• Replies 106
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are multiple awards of the Croix de Guerre represented on the medal/ribbon bar? I have noticed that over time, the ribbon type has changed. Did the awardee wear the ribbons that are current in effect for the award, or he wear the different ribbons as awarded, meaning that he would be wearing two different ribbons for the same award.

How are multiple awards of the Croix de Guerre represented on the medal/ribbon bar? I have noticed that over time, the ribbon type has changed. Did the awardee wear the ribbons that are current in effect for the award, or he wear the different ribbons as awarded, meaning that he would be wearing two different ribbons for the same award.

If one won the Croix de Guerre in WW1 and in WW2, he wears both type of ribbons.

Edited by lilo

Morocco 1922. My GGF is the one standing. The other three in their colonial whites. The man in the middle is wearing a Medaille Coloniale along with at least two other medals which are obscured by their glasses. Also, Black socks with colonial whites is a bad look.

Edited by ralstona

Hello ralstona

This last picture in interesting : it shows an officer wearing his full Legion of honor badge whith everyday service uniform. This was the RULE before WW1 but the ribbons became more the fashion after. The Legion has always been finicky about such details and the tradition may have carried on with them.

Happy New Year

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

I cropped this one from a picture I posted above. This is 1931 Mostaganem, Algeria. 2eme Tirailleurs Algerien. My GGF is in the middle. Interesting the three different uniforms. Different collars, colors and belts. Can anyone clarify the differences?

Also, notice that my GGF is wearing both the fouragerre of the unit and a second fouragerre CdG TOE. This was the a titre personel which we spoke of in a different post.

Very nice set up. Congratulations

I am not sure I recognise the last ribbon on the first row (croix du combattant ?) and the last two on the second. He probably would have received the Allied Victory medal if he had a croix de guerre + commemorative for WW1, don't you think ?

Bravo !

Curiously he never wore his victory medal even though he had one. Neither in uniform or on his ribbon bars. I have no idea why but I decided to leave it out. Bottom row last two (WWII commemorative, Ouissam Alaoite).

Art

• 3 weeks later...

Another picture to add. This is in Syria 1925 with the 1 REC. Notice the gandourah's being worn. They were loose fitting linen garments worn over the uniform with ranking on a buttoned chest tab. They have their cheches (long desert scarf) worn , at their commanders whim, wrapped around their heads "a la Tcherkesse". If you have Osprey M-a-A Foreign Legion 1914-1945 plate D3 illustrates the same get up.

Art

P.S. My GGF is on the left.

Edited by ralstona

• 1 month later...

My grandmother's neice (who lives in Arles) just sent me some more documents about my ggf. They were just sitting in a drawer but when she found out I was so interested in the story she sent them to me. The group is quite amazing. It includes:

1. ID card from when he was Chief of Police for the Oran Dockyards.

2. Naturalization certificate from 1927

3. Award document for the Medaille Militaire

4. Award document for the Medaille du Levant

5. Certificate of participation for being present at the Battle of Messifre in 1925 in Syria.

6. Certificate of participation for being present at the Battles of Rezzaz and Souieda in 1926 in Syria.

7. Written confirmation of his CdG TOE a titre personnel.

Here are a few of them.

Edited by ralstona