News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military license plates from Iraq

Interesting!

But most of these aren't Iraqi -- two are from Dubai, one is Kuwaiti, one is Saudi. Wonder how these vehicles ended up in Iraq? The Kuwaiti vehicle could have been looted during 1990, the others may have been exported between 1991 and 2003, but probably came through Jordan illegally? I thought that vehicle shipments would have been banned under the UN sanctions.

Interesting!

But most of these aren't Iraqi -- two are from Dubai, one is Kuwaiti, one is Saudi. Wonder how these vehicles ended up in Iraq? The Kuwaiti vehicle could have been looted during 1990, the others may have been exported between 1991 and 2003, but probably came through Jordan illegally? I thought that vehicle shipments would have been banned under the UN sanctions.

You are certainly correct as to the origins of the plates Chris. The Kuwaiti and Saudi plates I obtained during the 1990-91 War in the host countries. The Dubai plates came out of Iraq in 2003. There was a vehicle leasing company called SNS or Saudi Naval Support, that brought in vehicles under contract to the U.S. Government. While using one of the civilian vehicles I noticed that the trunk was full of these Dubai plates so I helped myself to a couple for posterity. The Iraqi military plate came from a damaged vehicle and the yellow plate I was told was for Baath Party officials. I got that one from an abandoned car at the Baghdad Airport. Scott.