News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SCOTTISH REGIMENTS TOBACCO TIN

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen....

Please find attached some photos of the Scottish Tobacco Tin complete with mailing packaging which looks like it was a piece of uniform.... I am afraid that this tin is empty as I have never seen a full one.... I guess the troops liked to smoke better than they liked to eat chocolate.....

When purchased there was a letter in the tin, transcribed below along with a clip of 4 mauser cartridges live, one casing and one silver Peace/Memorial medal.

SIZE: 82 mm X 100 mm X 16 mm

Inscription on top of tin "Frae Scots Tae Scots, South Africa 1900, For Auld Lang Syne".....

Yellow in colour with Green and Red Thistle and Red Shiled, Black printing.....

This tin is quite rare as I have only ever seen 5 of them for sale in the many years that I have been collecting Boer War items.....

Mike

###########################################################

Johannesburg, 13th Dec, 1900

Transvaal

Dear Friend:

Just a few lines to let you know I got your present and I thank you very much for it this Box I am sending you is the one sent out by the people of Scotland to Scottish Regiments serving in South Africa I would have sent you the tobacco also only it was mildewed there is a Kruger Shilling and 6 cartridge cases 4 are still loaded and 2 are pencil cases these were taken from a dead Boer at the battle of Fredrikstad they are loaded in 5s at a time into the Mauser that is the reason of the clip to hold them I conclude wishing you a Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year

Pte. S Ferguson

2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers

E Coy South African Field Force

South Africa

More Pictures...... To bad you cannot input more than one at a time....... One site has no limit.......

Mike

Coming attractions...... Royal Scots Grey's Tin, Keen's Mustard Tin, Tea Tin shaped as Shell........

Mike

Another superb item from your collection especially with the contents. One of these tins was sold on ebay UK last year although I can't find it now. That too was empty but sold for around the £100 mark if I remember correctly.

Very rare indeed but I think these items capture the patriotic side of the Empire public's view of the armed forces very well and from what you have shown are very well designed and made.

Please keep the items coming!

Best regards Simon

• 2 months later...
    • 9 months later...