News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal West African Frontier Force Distinguished Conduct Medal

Hello folks, need some help here. My colleague is the curator/owner of what we believe to be the only existing DCM awarded to a Nigerian Soldier (4digit ID withheld, Mamadu Bauchi) in 1915 and whom had been awarded this medal a second time in 1918. This is with our belief, after nearly 20 years of research including travels to Nigeria and UK for documented research. In addition, our research indicates that there were less than 50 DCM's awarded to Native Africans of which 4 soldiers had received it twice. I am in search of an answer for a very specific reason that i will share at a later date. Can someone please show me another one of these medals with the correct ribbon representing the Royal West African Frontier Force Distinguished Conduct Medal and prove me wrong. Thank you in advance for your help. Michael Q

Edited by Michael Q

Hello folks, need some help here. My colleague is the curator/owner of what we believe to be the only existing DCM awarded to a Nigerian Soldier (4digit ID withheld, Mamadu Bauchi) in 1915 and whom had been awarded this medal a second time in 1918. This is with our belief, after nearly 20 years of research including travels to Nigeria and UK for documented research. In addition, our research indicates that there were less than 50 DCM's awarded to Native Africans of which 4 soldiers had received it twice. I am in search of an answer for a very specific reason that i will share at a later date. Can someone please show me another one of these medals with the correct ribbon representing the Royal West African Frontier Force Distinguished Conduct Medal and prove me wrong. Thank you in advance for your help. Michael Q

I cannot find a Mamadu Bauchi on the roll for the RWAFF DCM however there are 3 Mentions of a Moma Bauchi one 5 NR (1285 Pte) Nig Gaz. 12/10/16 (Cameroons). The other two are both 2NR (5394 Pte.) Nig Gaz 25/11/15 (Cameroons) (7140 Sgt)

Nig Gaz 7/3/18 (G.E.A.).

I have further details if the last two are the same as on the medal you mention.

Paul

Hi Paul, thank you very much for your prompt response. The inscription on the edge of the coin reads, (4245 C.S.M. jr Momadu Bauchi. NIG.R.W.A.F.F) Inscribed on the back of the medal reads, (For Distinguished Conduct In The Field) In the extensive research that had been done on our part, during a trip to Nigeria in the later 80's, documents were acquired with Momadu Bauchi's listing, also there was a mention of a Mama Bauchi written in the book, "Nigeria and the great War". Bauchi was not the sir name of these soldiers. Because their names were so difficult to pronounce, they were identified by their first name and provence (Bauchi) that they were from and then given their ID number. This research is very important to us because we are in development of a motion picture screenplay. The information that we posses is very disturbing describing why, how, where, when and who set forth the DCM. Have you had the opportunity to see a picture of any of these particular medals that were awarded to the Native African's during 1914-1918? The ID numbers that you mention do not appear to match our medal. Thank you once again and i look forward to your response. Michael Q

I cannot find a Mamadu Bauchi on the roll for the RWAFF DCM however there are 3 Mentions of a Moma Bauchi one 5 NR (1285 Pte) Nig Gaz. 12/10/16 (Cameroons). The other two are both 2NR (5394 Pte.) Nig Gaz 25/11/15 (Cameroons) (7140 Sgt)

Nig Gaz 7/3/18 (G.E.A.).

I have further details if the last two are the same as on the medal you mention.

Paul

Hi Paul, thank you very much for your prompt response. The inscription on the edge of the coin reads, (4245 C.S.M. jr Momadu Bauchi. NIG.R.W.A.F.F) Inscribed on the back of the medal reads, (For Distinguished Conduct In The Field) In the extensive research that had been done on our part, during a trip to Nigeria in the later 80's, documents were acquired with Momadu Bauchi's listing, also there was a mention of a Mama Bauchi written in the book, "Nigeria and the great War". Bauchi was not the sir name of these soldiers. Because their names were so difficult to pronounce, they were identified by their first name and provence (Bauchi) that they were from and then given their ID number. This research is very important to us because we are in development of a motion picture screenplay. The information that we posses is very disturbing describing why, how, where, when and who set forth the DCM. Have you had the opportunity to see a picture of any of these particular medals that were awarded to the Native African's during 1914-1918? Thank you once again and I look forward to your response.

In addition, I just located 4245 Mamadu Bauchi in the following: SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 31 MAY, 1916. 5427

Now, I just need to know if there are any existing medals out there other than the one we posses, this would just make our screenplay that much more unique.

Michael Q

Hi Paul, thank you very much for your prompt response. The inscription on the edge of the coin reads, (4245 C.S.M. jr Momadu Bauchi. NIG.R.W.A.F.F) Inscribed on the back of the medal reads, (For Distinguished Conduct In The Field) In the extensive research that had been done on our part, during a trip to Nigeria in the later 80's, documents were acquired with Momadu Bauchi's listing, also there was a mention of a Mama Bauchi written in the book, "Nigeria and the great War". Bauchi was not the sir name of these soldiers. Because their names were so difficult to pronounce, they were identified by their first name and provence (Bauchi) that they were from and then given their ID number. This research is very important to us because we are in development of a motion picture screenplay. The information that we posses is very disturbing describing why, how, where, when and who set forth the DCM. Have you had the opportunity to see a picture of any of these particular medals that were awarded to the Native African's during 1914-1918? Thank you once again and I look forward to your response.

In addition, I just located 4245 Mamadu Bauchi in the following: SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 31 MAY, 1916. 5427

Now, I just need to know if there are any existing medals out there other than the one we posses, this would just make our screenplay that much more unique.

Michael Q

I have now found him the references are very confusing.

DCM Nig Gazette 12/10/16, p. 533 (Cameroons: Gen citation Sgt. NR)

Bar Nig. Gazette 10/10/18. P. 396 (German East Africa CSM 4NR)

For taking up his present duties on 17th Sept in succession to a C.S.M. with an exceptionally fine record and in addition having the disadvantage of being a new comer to his present company, he had a difficult position to fill during an important period, but by constant disregard of personal risk and by sound judgement in action, continual hard work and fine handling of the men he rapidly established himself and his services and example have been of the greatest of value.

M.I.D. Cameroons: L.Gaz. 31/5/16 (Dobell's despatch) 127 DCMS were issued to the WAFF during WWI with 5 First bars and one Second bar.

So while the medal is not unique, it is extremely rare.

As to other entitlements difficult to say obv. WWI, given he was a Sgt. in 1916 quite possibly entitled to a pre-war AGS.

All the best,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you again for your time and support. We also posse the same information on a hard copy pre-internet, my dear friend John Langton Jr., prior to his passing, did a tremendous amount of research. He was so passionate about his collection of rare war medals that expanded into opening his own private museum. He had a hunch that this medal was extremely rare, whereas he would travel the world to do his research in the 70's & 80's. Once again, I thank you for your kind response and if you ever so happen to come across a photo of this rare medal, I would like to know that there is another one in existence. My best to you, Michael Q

I have now found him the references are very confusing.

DCM Nig Gazette 12/10/16, p. 533 (Cameroons: Gen citation Sgt. NR)

Bar Nig. Gazette 10/10/18. P. 396 (German East Africa CSM 4NR)

For taking up his present duties on 17th Sept in succession to a C.S.M. with an exceptionally fine record and in addition having the disadvantage of being a new comer to his present company, he had a difficult position to fill during an important period, but by constant disregard of personal risk and by sound judgement in action, continual hard work and fine handling of the men he rapidly established himself and his services and example have been of the greatest of value.

M.I.D. Cameroons: L.Gaz. 31/5/16 (Dobell's despatch) 127 DCMS were issued to the WAFF during WWI with 5 First bars and one Second bar.

So while the medal is not unique, it is extremely rare.

As to other entitlements difficult to say obv. WWI, given he was a Sgt. in 1916 quite possibly entitled to a pre-war AGS.

All the best,

Paul