News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Requesting ANY Information on Maximilian Alfred von Siegel

Seeking information on a Maximilian Alfred von Siegel

post-2806-002378900 1294758297_thumb.jpg

Reportedly Sergeant in the 1st Zug (platoon) of the Königlich Preußische Leib-Gendarmerie (the Kaiser's Royal Prussian Lifeguard Cavalry Regiment) 1878-1898.

Any information is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks in advance everyone.

Blackhorse

• 1 year later...

Max is my great Grandfather.

He was born in Pirna, Königreich Sachsenon (Kingdom of Saxony) on November 25, 1864. He enlisted into the Kaiser’s Imperial Preußen Army in 1878 at the age 14 and entered a NCO preparatory training school (Unteroffiziervorschulen). From there he went on to one of the NCO academes (Unteroffizierschulen) and was selected to join the Leibgendarmerie. I believe he attended the Königlich Militer Hufschmied (Royal Military Farrier/Blacksmith School) and learned the blacksmith trade while he was attached to the 1. Zug.

Max served under all three separate Kaisers during his military career starting in 1878 with Wilhelm I who was the first King of Prussia from 1861-1888; Frederick III was only King for 90 days from March 9 - June 15, 1888; and then Max served for the last king of Prussia/ Germany, Kaiser Wilhelm II from March 15, 1888 to his retirement in 1898.

Max lost his Right Eye from some sort of wound (verletzung) he received on October 20, 1893. Speculation would say that he lost it in a duel, but unless I can find an official records giving the background to the loss, it will just be conjecture on my part. It's interesting that eight years after Max lost his right eye the Kaiser issued orders stating that soldiers would be disciplined for dueling.

Max retired from military service in 1898 and married on November 12, 1900 in Liegnitz, Prussia. Shortly after his marriage he received a Land Grant from the Kaiser and the Prussian Government for an estate in Brazil, South America.

Things did not work out in Brazil and on the way back to Germany he found himself in South Africa fighting on the Boer side in the Boer War as a volunteer for a short period of time, between 1901-1903.

In 1904 he and his wife immigrated to America onboard the RMS Carpathia of the Cunard Line as 3rd class passengers. He was 39 years old at that time and lists his occupation as a Blacksmith. They arrived at Ellis Island, New York on September 1, 1904 and were processed through and received into the United States of America on September 2, 1904.

Max died on February 22, 1952 in Detroit, Michigan.

For more information please contact me.

Blessings,

1. Zug

Edited by 1. Zug

The post on Pickelhaubes.com is very odd indeed, because it is the exact same photo that we have. My brother and I have tried to contact Carlos through Brian several times back when it was originally posted to find out where he obtained the photo.

Our Grandmother kept a hand painted one of her father on her mantel. When she died in 2002, her household goods were packed and shipped to my father who then put them into long term storage. I have not laid eyes on the original photo since her death and I don’t know if it is still in the storage or if one of our relitaves has it. I only have a digital copy like the one that is posted as well as other photos like his marriage photo and WW 1 Alien Registration Card. if you compare them you will see that it is the same man in all three. The photo in question was taken in August 1894 during parade at Potsdam after the Kaiser returned from a visit to England. The marriage photo was taken 12 Nov 1900, and the WWI Alien Reg Card was taken 23 Feb 1918. (I am having difficulty uploading Photos- file to big to upload)

As to the Boer War, there is not much we know about his experiences there or what commando unit he fought with. My question is if he did not fight with the Boers, what would a German be doing in South Africa during that time?

The family stories that were handed down to his children as well as annotations from his wife Maria’s diary, state that sometime after they arrived in Brazil around the end of 1900 beginning of 1901, she was stung by some sort of fly that lays its eggs in the flesh, she also could not stand the heat of the tropics so she return to Germany alone.

Max stayed to sell the estate and on his way back to Germany he jumped ship in South Africa to fight with fellow soldiers in the German Corps. After the war with no money because they were volunteers, he worked on the railroad as a blacksmith from Cape Town and Port Elizabeth where he finally took passage on a ship home to Germany.

Once Max got back to Germany toward the end of 1903 he found out that his wife Maria had been unfaithful and had a child, she was 16 years younger than Max, thus when he got back and discovered the affair, he took the family and immigrated to America in 1904.

If you have more info about the Boer War and the foreign legions which fought there, it would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,

1. Zug

I finaly got the attachment to work by saving them as a JPEG image. So here are the two photos of Max. The mustache is a little fuller but you can see the resemblance in all three photos.

Blessings,

1.Zug

Greetings Patrick. yep, that's the same guy. Great photos by the way. I wish you success in tracking down Carlos. It seems to me that he has attempted to claim your relative as his own, complete with different name.

it would truly be grand if some of the research professionals here could locate some information about your great-grandfather's service. Seems like was is quite an interesting fellow.

Best,

Chris

Edited by Blackhorse

Thanks Chris,

It's been several years now, so I have given up hope of every finding out where he got the photo from or why he was claiming it was his relation.

On another note, here is another photo of Max. I am not sure of the exact dates but Max went back to Germany sometime around September 1935 according to his Reentry Permit at age 70 to be reexamined by the Army doctors who then reinstated his full pension back to 198.40 RM (Reich Marks) minus the doctors fees and administration fees. Not sure what that would be in today’s value, but I think it's @ $11.00.

He sure liked his Kaiser's mustache, never got rid of it!

Blessings,

Patrick

Edited by 1. Zug