News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Medals of Alfred Graf von Waldersee

Hello folks,

Here's a picture of Feld Marschall Alfred Graf von Waldersee, who commanded the German and International Armies during the latter stages of the Boxer Rebellion. He's wearing the khaki uniform which he wore out to China.

Graf_von_Waldersee_Postkarte.jpg

I'm curious as to what his medals are, and most particularly the gold or bronze badge below his 1870 EK1 on his left breast?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

Hello folks,

Here's a picture of Feld Marschall Alfred Graf von Waldersee, who commanded the German and International Armies during the latter stages of the Boxer Rebellion. He's wearing the khaki uniform which he wore out to China.

Graf_von_Waldersee_Postkarte.jpg

I'm curious as to what his medals are, and most particularly the gold or bronze badge below his 1870 EK1 on his left breast?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

General Adjutant's badge?

Paul

Unfortunately I don't have any references here at the office, so I can't comment on every medal he's wearing. I'm with Paul that the gold badge is probably a General Adjutant's badge. The huge cross at his neck is the grand cross of the Order of the Red Eagle and goes with the breast star on his chest. He's also wearing the Grand Commander (Großkomtur) collar of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern. He has a EK2 on his medal bar and an EK1 on his chest below the Red Eagle star. I think the medal right after the EK2 on his medal bar is the Knight's cross of the Royal Hohenzollern House Order. The rest I'm not sure of at all.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Danke Karsten, that's a lot clearer.

post-1338-1244716318.jpg

So on his bar it's-

EK2 with 25th Anniversary Clasp

Knight's cross of the Royal Hohenzollern House Order

Red Eagle Order third or fourth class with swords

Officer's Long Service Cross

1870 War Medal with numerous clasps

1866 War Medal

Another Medal China Campaign Possibly???

Another Cross?

Does that sound right? Can anyone guess the last two?

Cheers

Chris

The Red Eagle Order is a 4th class, thus the oaks on his grand cross. The last award on the bar seems to be a Mecklenburg-Schwerin military merit cross 2nd class (he held both, 1st is a pin back). I'm not sure regarding the second to last award.

Choose one ;) , here's his entry from 1902 Prussian army rank list:

Thanks for that Saschaw, yes Mecklenburg Schwerin Cross looks right... I'm thinking the artist may not have known the last two either and has painted a bit of a blur, thinking nobody will ever notice or care.... how wrong he was!

Cheers

Chris