News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 ek1

• 2 weeks later...

glenn: yep- even though it is unmarked for silver content, the reverse frame is highly reflective despite all of the tarnish. if you hold it right you can view a mirror image of the pin, which can indicate a higher quality of silver.

chris, based on the characteristics, i'm inclined to classify this as a later piece. it was probably owned by an old warrior who had to dust off his saber and pickelhaube for the big show in belgium and france, and had the financial means to upgrade his ratty old first issue cross with a spiffy new cross that would look absolutely dashing at the parade or as he was strutting around HQ

anyhow, here's a view of the core after i performed some preventative maintenance on it. there were minute traces of rust along the frame edges

yes, it could be a godet core. i don't think this is a put together cross, though. the level of workmanship is very fine, and there are no indications of it having been messed with. everything is integral, tight, and contemporary.

i think that what we are looking at is an example that falls into the 'more expensive' category at the time of purchase :catjava:

Nice cross,

but unfortunnaly not awarded during the Franch-Prussian war. the duration of War was 1 year, few time for industrial news same the painting process.

All the 1307 EKI, and also the EKII, awarded on 1 year war are burnished and core on die cast.

Edited by Gew44

• 3 weeks later...

only one thought that is bugging me ,,looking at this ,,

cracked core's are a bit uncommon at the 1914 era ...

this is looking like a typical dubbel break off the awarded era ...

petting this ek in a different category to me...

ps ,,pin looks like a maybauer

Edited by hagahr

and its looking like it is painted high gloss ,,,al together not a good sign to me, ( some high class jeweller repair or so ?,, no ) ....

the cracks I dislike the Moore I look at them,,,

someone asking me ,,I wood pass it .as I do not trust this one.

all do I know it can be possible ..

kay

Edited by hagahr

hi kay,

i just need to clarify that the high gloss effect on the core is due to a freshly-applied coating of boshield t-9 (as a preservative)...it was all shiny and wet at the time i took the last picture, and not dried yet.

also, as far as the cracked cores on 1914 pieces: they are uncommon, but they do exist. i have several other examples that have suffered the same unfortunate fate. that is the main reason i treated this example-- in order to avoid further damage to the core.

thanks!

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

Interesting piece, and in my opinion absolutely not put-together in the sense of being a forgery. Perhaps the pin was replaced? The frame appears to me to be a perfect match to known Type-B 1870 EK frames in use by S-W and (in my opinion) also by Godet. Here is a Type B EK2 from the Jubilee period with what I believe is the same frame, and is certainly the same core.

EDIT: grrr.... the file was too big to upload.

• 4 weeks later...

I like this piece and I'm quite comfortable with the pin setup, different yes, but I'm sure a variety of options such as pin style would've been available to the buyer, this one seems to be very professionally attached.

The cracks are also not a problem for me either as I have a few sand cast cores with the same phenomena. All in all a unique looking 1870, congrats on a nice pick up Erich.

Chris