News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KENYA ORDER OF THE GOLDEN HEART

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,the Order of the Golden Heart is the senior Order of Kenya.Like the Order of the Burning Spear it was instituted in 1966 and exist in 3 classes.

Chief Golden Heart ( C.G.H.) and HM. Queen Elisabeth II is Chief Golden Heart ; then Elder Golden Heart ( E.G.H.), then Moran of the Golden Hear ( M.G.H.)..

Here I will begin by a picture of President Mwai Kibaki awarded Kofi Anan the insignia of the Chief of the Golden Heart

His Highness Karim Aga Khan was also awarded Chief of the Golden Heart by President Kibaki ( a far better quality picture can be seen on the link below ).

I had to re-size the picture to directly post it on ths forum,but click the link,the picture is 1000 % better.

http://simerg.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/aga-khan-iv-kenya-medal.jpg

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here is the insignia of the 2nd class Elder of the Golden Heart awarded to Anton Benya (1912-2001) from Austria (President of the Parliament from Austria from 4 november 1971 till 12 december 1986)

This set was auctioned in Germany in december 2007.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

This is the breast star of the Elder of the Golden Heart.It is made by Spink with their back plate on reverse.It's not a so large star,only 73 millimeters in diameter.

I also have the sash badge which exactly the same,but smaller,but I have only 30 centimeters of unfinished sash.

So if anyone here have a complete sash,or even just the bow I would be very interested to complete my set.

Emmanuel

Here on the topic concerning the Order of the Golden Heart I post again the picture of Maj Gen Tangai M.G.H. , E.B.S. from Kenya Air Force,he's wearing the Moran of the Golden Heart as a breast star.

Now watch the second picture : Maj Gen Pastor O. Awitta M.G.H., E.B.S. Commander in Chief of the Navy of Kenya.I choose these 2 officers because they were awarded exactly the same ranks on both Orders.

This officer is wearing the Moran of the Golden Heart as a neck badge,like the one I displayed above.

Is it a kind of fashion,or the way of wearing the rank of Moran of the Golden Heart may have evoluted through time since 1966 ?

Here the link to all Kenya Navy Chef of Staff.

http://www.mod.go.ke/Navysite/kenyanisation.htm

Emmanuel

• 2 years later...
    • 3 years later...
    • 11 months later...

Hello Ilja, these insignia were produced in Germany in the late 1970ies (by a company from Munich), likely immediately after First president Kenyatta passed away in 1978. Even if these insignia were in the UBS Order sale of November 2008 (Collection Andreas Tammam), there is yet a photo to be found, or any evidence that these insignia have ever been really awarded. You know I constantly search for that kind of evidence, but yet, I got none.

Kenya Armed Forces displayed well on their respective web site, photo of the successive Chief of Staff in full uniform. Never an award from this series was seen on these photo.

My opinion is that these insignia were even never delivered to Kenya. But it's only my perennial opinion.

Best regards.

Emmanuel

• 4 years later...

The Spinks sale 21001 has 3 collars, described as for Chief, Elder, and Moran of the Order.

Chief -

The notes say that the Chief collar was awarded to The Honourable P. J. Ngei, who was a friend of Kenyatta having been imprisoned with him. He was one of the 'Kapenguria Six', forming the African People's Party; he took up a seat in the independent Kenyan Parliament in 1969. He died on 15 August 2004.

21001_1040_1.thumb.jpg.f560b21de661a6e124a1b47c8ac7991c.jpg

Elder

21001_1041_1.thumb.jpg.3c96d268a32f2c79e0915f1aff170e3a.jpg

Moran

21001_1042_1.thumb.jpg.6b73d64d1a9b597e8a41cc8b217d615d.jpg

The other two are not mentioned as having been awarded to anyone, just as being in a case of issue complete with ribbon bar.