News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SENEGAL ORDER OF MERIT

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen.Here is the 2nd Order of the Republic of Senegal,the Order of Merit.

It's a 5 classes Order : Grand Cross - Grand Officer - Commander - Officer - kinght.

Here it's the insignia of Grand Officer of the Order of Merit (as a set).

Following the french tradition,a Grand Officer is the Officer breast badge + a silvered body breast star.

This Order was instituted by Law 60-364 from 22 October 1960 later modified by Law 65-329 from 7 August 1965 & Law 66-673 from 31 August 1966

A minimum of 10 years of service is required to get the Knight rank,then you have to wait 5 years to get promoted to Officer rank.

Criteria of attribution are in the laws.

Emmanuel

Senegal has also 3 others Orders for which I don't have pictures.

Order of 20 August ( Law 60-365 from 2 October 1960). It was a single class Order limited to 250 members.

Awarded only in 1960 it was a rectangular badge of 30 by 40 millimeters with a Lion on a 5 pointed star on obverse & on reverse the National Motto : Un Peuple - Un But - Une Foi + the name of the person who was awarded the Order.

Order of Academic Palm ( Law 74-1280 from 23 December 1974). It's a 3 classes Order.

It's a 5 pointed breast star surrounded by 2 palms with a lion's head in center.

Ribbon is purple with a yellow center stripe.

Order of Agricultural Merit ( Law 82-600 from 7 August 1982). It's a 3 classes Order.

It's a circular insignia with on its center and from top to bottom, the head of a cow in brown enamel,the waves of the ocean enameled in blue,trees with leafs enameled in green.

Ribbon is ocean blue with a center marron stripe bordered by a green stripe.

If anyone has a picture he's most welcome to post it here.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Lovely pictures and even better information - thank you for sharing, Emmanuel (she says, scampering to update that section of the website!).

Alas I only have pictures of the Order of the Lion and the Order of Merit.

Ed Emering's site has some Senegal medals, though.

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,not of good quality,but better than nothing.

This is the Order of 20 August from Senegal (the picture is from an old presentation catalogue and unfortunately black & white & without ribbon).

The size is reported to be 30 millimeters width and 40 millimeters high.

The ribbon was 37 millimeters, red with a 5 millimeters central black stripe.

Emmanuel

• 9 months later...

Hello Gentlemen, research pays !!! I finally was able to catch a picture of Order of Academic Palms of Senegal (Knight insignia).

Instituted by Law 74-1280 of 23 December 1974 in 3 Classes (Knight,Officer & Commander).

Sorry no picture of reverse but at least , now we know what it looks like.

Emmanuel

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen, with lot of patience, possible to get anything. I finally was able to get the Academic Palms of Senegal.

It's not made in Europe but in Africa in white metal.

Diameter : 42 millimeters & very thick : 7 millimeters.

Emmanuel

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen, I was able to buy this Order of Agricultural Merit from Senegal (Officer rank).

Actually in Dakkar they call it "Medaille d'Honneur Agricole 1st Class"

Diameter 42 millimeters.Weight : 47 grammes.

I guess it could have existed a french manufactured version in the 80ies that could have looked a bit different ?

Order of Agricultural Merit ( Law 82-600 from 7 August 1982). It's a 3 classes Order.

It's a circular insignia with on its center and from top to bottom, the head of a cow in brown enamel,the waves of the ocean enameled in blue,trees with leafs enameled in green.

Ribbon is ocean blue with a center marron stripe bordered by a green stripe.

Emmanuel

Here we have a medal I had looked for years and years....it's Senegal Medal of Honor for the Firefighter.

It was instituted by Law N° 80-1281 of 31 December 1980.

This medal is to be awarded to firefighters for a certain (but unknown to me) numbers of years in service, as act of bravery on fire.This medal is also to be awarded to members of the organism of the Civil Protection.

It's diameter : 34 millimeters. Weight : 22 grammes.

I guess that one was manufactured in the late 80ies or 90ies.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

• 4 years later...

Hi everybody,

We have just finished some: Ordre du Merite for Senegal

- Grand Croix

- Grand Officier.

Commandeur, Officier et Chevalier will be done beginning of January 

Ordre du Merite - Grand Croix

Ordre du Merite - Grand Croix_3_low.jpg

Ordre du Merite - Grand Officier

Ordre du Merite - Grand Officier_3_low.jpg