News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice group to a Fallschirmkampfbeobachter. But what is a Fallschirmkampfbeobachter?

Not been here for a while......so here's a nice group I got some months ago, consisting of:

1) Luftwaffenbombenschützenschein - 1.11.1940, Große Kampffliegerschule 2.

2) Luftwaffenbeobachterschein - 31.7.1942, Fliegerschule der Luftwaffe (S) 2. 14.10.42 redesignated Erg.Gruppe für Fallschirm Kampfbeobachter in Freiburg im Breisgau.

3) Fliegendespersonal (Tarn) Ausweis - 16.10.1942, Fliegerhorstdienststelle Freiburg im Breisgau.

4) Fallschirmschützenschein - 15.1.1943, Generalkommando XI Fliegerkorps.

What is interesting, not only was he a trained as a bomb aimer, observer and paratrooper but also written to the rear of the Luftwaffenbeobachterschein, as a Fallschirmkampfbeobachter and suitable for Kettenführerflugzeuge!

Prosper had a good idea what a Fallschirmkampfbeobachter actually was on A N other forum, I believe a Parachute Jump Instructor (PJI). I have his Flugbuch also and there are some clues in there............

/Ian

Edited by ian jewison

"Prosper had a good idea what a Fallschirmkampfbeobachter actually was on A N other forum, I believe a Parachute Jump Instructor (PJI). I have his Flugbuch also and there are some clues in there......."

Hi,

my understanding of this qualification are JU52 crew members who are trained in matters relating to dropping paratroopers. Observers who not only find the drop zone but are able to judge if the Jump can be carried out (Weather/wind/etc. etc.)

Best

Chris

• 2 months later...

Chris,

That's what I thought but never seen anything written down until now...well had the book over a year ....but.....

Ergänzungsgruppe für Fallschirmjägerkampfbeobachter (Erg.Gr.f.FKB)

The observers were used as a dispatchers for dropping paratroopers and loads in transport units.

The experience of the Transport formations in the western campaign showed that the dispatchers had a poor training. The training of the dispatchers was conducted internally within the group. On 8.61941 the Luftwaffe Command Staff ordered the change to the term "Absetzer" (dispatcher) to "Fallschirmjägerkampfbeobachter" (Paratroopers Combat Observer). It was only on 14.10.1942, that the training was summed up in the Erg.Gr.f.FKB that emerged from the Fliegerschule der Lw. (Schlepp) 2.

The training of the Combat Observers consisted of dispatching of paratroopers in the target jump, low-altitude flight guidance, dead reckoning navigation and radio navigation.

The Ergänzungsgruppe were temporarily during 1942/44 for holding of training courses for paratroopers, the operational airfields of Enzehiem, Reichnebach and Großelfingen were available. In order to improve cooperation between paratroopers and dispatchers, came in November 1943 when they transferred to Fallschirmjägerschule IV in Freiburg.

(taken from Die Flugzeugführer - Ausbildung der Deutschen Luftwaffe. 1935-1945. Band II).

That would also explain why I have examples of Absetzer in 1940 but others who did their training later were Fallschirmjägerkampfbeobachter!!!

/Ian

Edited by ian jewison

Lovely document! Yes, Chris is right in his recollection but I would just like to emphasise for the benefit of readers who aren't too familiar with the terminology that when I interpreted it as "PJI", I was also thinking very much in terms of my British Airborne past, because PJIs taught parachuting at N° 1 Parachute Training School (There is no N° 2 PTS) but we also met them in the planes as dispatchers on jumps. I think the WW2-era German set-up was fairly similar to this. The schools had parachute jump instructors who were all qualified as dispatchers. The designation "Parachute Battle Observer" is a bit strange but not inaccurate as the Absetzer was usually looking out the door to reassure himself that all of the canopies had deployed, so he was 'observing' them. However, something tells me that this requires some more study and research! :D

PK

Edited by PKeating