News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brazilian Victory Medals

As we start out, we can use this thread for Brazilian Victory Medals, award documents, variations in medals/ribbons, etc.

I see there are a couple of existing threads already. These will be moved into this thread.

Tim :cheers:

Here is a Brazil vic on loan to me; an official type 2 according to Mr Laslo's book (no edge mintmark).

Regards,

Rob

Edited by IrishGunner

To all,

Here is the accompanying miniature for the Brazil vic. Produced in France it is not often found. The diameter is 15.5mm.

More to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 1 year later...

As we start out, we can use this thread for Brazilian Victory Medals, award documents, variations in medals/ribbons, etc.

I see there are a couple of existing threads already. These will be moved into this thread.

Tim :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

The Portugese Victory Medal was created in June 1923 along the lines established in early 1919 and respected by allies that adopt the collective commemorative medal. A diploma is awarded the medal

The model is the work of Brazilian writer Jorge Soubre

There are two main productions

Type 1: the official form produced by the Mint of Rio that bear the marks of the hand (Casa da Moeda - Rio
    Type 2: the model of private production (Facilities The Royal) identical but unmarked on the side

The originals have a patina of your "brown". However, we found more and more often this medal with very dark patina, is a variant of a known or a reissue? In addition, A. Laslo in his book shows a small ring soldered to the medal and through which passes the ribbon ring suspension.

It is nevertheless true that, with style Siamese "official" currency of the rarest of the series.

I'm posting photos of a small piece of treasure that is the Brazilian WWI Victory Medal. which unfortunately is not my collection.

This is a Mini. 15,48mm

1.jpg

4.jpg

All the Best
    Lambert

Edited by IrishGunner

• 5 weeks later...

Transcript of the Decree that created the Brazilian Vic.

DECREE 16.074 - 22 JUNE 1923

It creates a commemorative medal inter-ally, called "Victory Medal"

The President of the United States of Brazil, whereas in January 24, 1919 the Peace Conference adopted the proposal of Marshal Foch, so that all the fighters of the Great War received a commemorative medal that same used by them at all parts of the world, will keep the eternal feelings of camaraderie that you do on the battlefield, the strength of armies, and ensure the memory, during peace, the greatness of the Allied nations, whereas an inter-allied established later that this medal was called " Victory Medal," and that the rules for granting it should be such as to avoid its confusion with any other commemorative medal, decides on the proposal of Ministry of the Navy, and in harmony with the basic principles set out by the commission, order the following:

Article 1 It is a commemorative medal created inter-ally, called " Victory Medal."

Article 2 This medal is bronze frosted round with 0m, 036 in diameter, 0m, 004 thick, and fringed with two palms, and the center of the front of the symbolic figure of Victoria, standing in front on a plain background and no inscription or date. In the back will have the national shield encircled by the shields of the allied and associated nations, all encircled by the 'Great war for civilization. "

Article 3 The medal is suspended from a ribbon, like all the allies and associates, whose colors are the rainbow of two juxtaposed side by red with a white wire on each side. This Ribbon will 0m, 0m, and 036 wide, 040 long.

Article 4 will be entitled the " Victory Medal " all military personnel or civilians who have been employed in actual war service by a minimum space of three months, set out below:

1º, Officers, NCOs, and lower squares in the Navy, including cabin boys and contractors, who served in the squadron in military operations at any time between the departure of their units on the island of Fernando de Noronha on August 1, 1918 and his return to the same island on May 19, 1919;

2º, officials of the National Army and below that, being incorporated into the French Army by virtue of art. 2º do decreto n. 2 of Decree No 3.427, de 27 de dezembro de 1917, com ele combateram; 3427 of 27 December 1917, fought with him;

3º, the naval officers who are appointed by the warnings of the Ministry of Marine ns. 140, 141, 142, 143 and 144, January 8, 1918, 386, 387, 388 and 389 of January 22, 1918, to practice and study aviation in England, there were actually employed on duty patrolling back ;

4º, the Navy officers, appointed by the Ministry of Marine warnings ns. 1233, to March 29, 1917, 3447, to September 18, 1917, and 4747 of December 12, 1917, to serve in the Navy of the United States of America, which in this Nation warships, made part of U.S. forces in war service;

5º, the Brazilian civilians who enlisted and fought in Allied armies or navies;

6º, the Brazilian military and naval attaches next to England, France, Italy and United States of America, who have served in these places after October 26, 1917 until the date of the armistice;

7º, members of military missions organized by the warnings ns. 4680 of December 7, 1917 and 4735 of 11 December 1917, the Ministry of Marine and notice number 428 of 18 May 1917, the Ministry of War, who served on these committees at any time between the dates of appointment and the armistice;

8º, the Brazilian members of the medical mission organized by the decree n. 13092 of July 10, 1918, who have been in hospitals for victims of war or administration work relating to them in France, Italy, England and Belgium;

9º, the military or navy of the National Army who received the Cross of Campaign 1914 to 1919, referred to the decree n. 15600 of August 11, 1922, and those who have cooperated effectively in war service.

Article 5 shall not be entitled * Victory Medal ", with about one quarter included in the article, the deserters, convicts and those excluded from the Army and Navy, by sentence or disciplinary action.

Article 6 The competent departments of the Ministries of War and Navy will organize from the outset to understand relations all military, currently living in conditions of receiving the Victory Medal *, "according to the provisions of this decree, and all civil under the same conditions that these ministries have depended on the time of services rendered or settlements that have them. The list shall show for each of the military therein, the current post and had to order the services provided.

Article 7 The military that are not included in the relations mentioned in art. 6, or civilians about whom there are no official settlements, require the Ministry of War or Navy, as appropriate, the grant of the Victory Medal * "gathering documents to prove their right.

Article 8 organizes the relations mentioned in art. 6º, or established rights of applicants, according to art. 7º, will be plowed the decrees granting the medal and sent to interested diplomas and medals, including those signed in the Ministries of War and Navy, respectively, by the heads of the Central Department of the Navy and the Province.

Article 9 A * Victory Medal "will be used on the left breast, as follows:

1º, the military, according to its uniform policy;

2º, in uniform who, by their regulations, whether to use the ribbond of the medals or decorations on a folded Bar instead of themselves, will also be used to ribbon * Victory Medal " folded over a Bar;

3º, and civilians, as well as the military, in civilian clothes, they will use the medal on the left breast.

Article 10. And civilians, as well as the military in civilian clothes may use the tape's distinctive folded over a Bar, as indicated in art. 9º, paragraph 3 rd, with the narrow ribbon with the colors themselves, stuck in his lapel, or even chest, a reduction of the medal, with 0m, 015, in diameter, suspended or current pin itself.

Article 11. Revokes the provisions to the contrary.

Rio de Janeiro, June 22, 1923, 102 and 35 of the Independence of the Republic.

Arthur da Silva Bernardes.

Alexandre Faria de Alencar.

Setembrino Fernando de Carvalho

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

I found a very rare photo of a Journal of the Brazilian Navy, the Victory Medal, and I want to share with the Gentlemen.

Photo taken in 1939 at 50 years of the Proclamation of the Republic

Among some decorations are: Vic Brazilian end

Commemorative Medal of the Royal Visit to Brazil (1920)

Admiral Henrique Aristides Guilhem

HenriqueAristidesGuilhemcomMVbrasileMeda

Edited by lambert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

Laslo says that the Brazilian vic, in both Type 1 and Type 2, has a wire suspension. I've recently come across this French site with pictures if all the Allies vics, and for Brazil it shows one with a cylinder suspension - http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/bresil-interalli.html

So, my question - is this a fake, a repro, a French-produced Unofficial type, or what? It has the proper diacritical marks on the C and A of Civilisacao.

Bill

Hi Gents,

Laslo says that the Brazilian vic, in both Type 1 and Type 2, has a wire suspension. I've recently come across this French site with pictures if all the Allies vics, and for Brazil it shows one with a cylinder suspension - http://www.medailles...-interalli.html

So, my question - is this a fake, a repro, a French-produced Unofficial type, or what? It has the proper diacritical marks on the C and A of Civilisacao.

Bill

Having only ever seen type 2s I know they always have a wire suspension but i have never seen a type 1 which I consider to be by far the rarest Victory medal (I have handled 6 Thai, 3 Brazil type 2 but never a Brazil type 1). Do any members own such a rare beastie,

Paul

Hi Alls

Everyone I've ever seen, are of type 2 (without the manufacturer's mark),

Some of those present at the forum, seen even in photos, the type 1 with wire suspension and marking?

Apparently the Medal with cylindrical suspension, there seems to be a copy, the winged figure is exactly identical to type 2. Suggests that is a variant of production?

Lambert

Hi Lambert,

It's interesting that no-one has yet owned up to having seen a Type 1! It raises the possibility that Laslo hadn't either, and was mis-informed about it's suspension.

I enlarged the section of the photo of the Admiral that you posted to show his medals

brazilianchest.jpg

It seems to me that his Victory medal - I think it's the second from the left on his bar - appears to have a thicker suspension than I would expect to see if he had the wire type, so it could be that he has the Type 1.

It's a shame the French site http://www.medailles...-interalli.html doesn't say where the private collection with the cylinder-type suspension is to be found. It says that it has the Rio Mint marking on the rim so, unless it's a very clever copy, it should be official.

I guess we need someone to post a photo of a Type 1 so we can see what's what.

Bill

Hi Bill

I talked with Brazilian collectors, and all (that I know) have only the type 2 unmarked.

By the photo it is hard to know for sure. I think it is possible, that Type 1 is very draught for only small naval officers, and subsequently left the medals Type 2 in 1923.

Of course, this does not explain the medal support system (type 1"a")

Lambert

• 4 weeks later...

I am very happy to show it to you.

Diploma offered to the Captain of Corvette, Francisco Magno Barroso on April 4, 1934. (16 years after the end of WWI !!!)

The captain also participated in operations in the atlantic during World War 2, as acting commander of the Naval Command North, from 09.27.1943 to 20.10.1943, as Captain of Sea and War. (Capitão de Mar e Guerra)

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Hello guys, note that the medal designed on diploma has the wire suspension type. I have seen about 10 Vic medals here in Brazil. I think 4 of them had CASA DA MOEDA signs, but most part of the rest do not.

In 10 medals, I didn't see any with the cylinder suspension, however I believe it can exist and is a original time period medal (20 or 30`s)

Cheers.

Julio

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob.

These are the medals of Cuba, Brazil and Siam you see, are the most expensive .. :unsure::(

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

You would indeed be correct that those three are becoming much harder to find. Given that you are in Brazil I would have thought that you would have more chance than most to locate a specimen.

As Julio states above they are not seen that often in Brazil either, but I think you would have a better chance than most.

There is currently a Brazil vic, official type 2, listed at Liverpoolmedals:

http://www.liverpool...-very-rare.html

There is always the option of a contemporary reproduction piece to use as a 'space filler' until a suitable specimen is found.

Regards,

Rob

I recently saw a sample sale here in Brazil. for about $ 1600 U.S. dollars. rasoavel much more than in the UK site ...

yet I hope to find it cheaper (a little). Even more, with my wedding approaching (in October), This depleted my cash reserves.

It was not in my mind has a copy of this, but perhaps for teaching purposes;

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Having only ever seen type 2s I know they always have a wire suspension but i have never seen a type 1 which I consider to be by far the rarest Victory medal (I have handled 6 Thai, 3 Brazil type 2 but never a Brazil type 1). Do any members own such a rare beastie,

Paul

Yes Paul; I do.

It's interesting that no-one has yet owned up to having seen a Type 1! It raises the possibility that Laslo hadn't either, and was mis-informed about it's suspension.

Bill

Hello Bill,

Laslo did indeed correctly identify the suspension in the illustration in both editions of his book. It also clearly shows the CASA DA-MOEDA makers mark on the rim.

I guess we need someone to post a photo of a Type 1 so we can see what's what.

Bill

My type 1 has a wire suspension exactly the same as that illustrated in the Laslo volumes.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for your comments on your Type 1 - It certainly appears that the wire suspension is the norm for the Type 1 and Type 2. Which brings us back to the one on the French site - http://www.medailles...-interalli.html

According to the site the Type 1 shownl has the CASA DA-MOEDA makers mark, and the picture shows the proper diacritical marks on the C and A of Civilisacao.

Maybe the suspension has been repaired, or it's a one-off from the Mint - or a fake?

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hi Rob,

.... Which brings us back to the one on the French site - http://www.medailles...-interalli.html

According to the site the Type 1 shownl has the CASA DA-MOEDA makers mark, and the picture shows the proper diacritical marks on the C and A of Civilisacao.

Maybe the suspension has been repaired, or it's a one-off from the Mint - or a fake?

Bill

Hello Bill,

Apart from the fact that it is suspended by Italian ribbon I think it looks okay. Probably just a trial or other variety.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Bill,

Apart from the fact that it is suspended by Italian ribbon I think it looks okay. Probably just a trial or other variety.

Regards,

Rob

Hello All

Or just a repair on the medal, it may be simpler than a new variation

Remembering that, I have not seen of a Medal type, with marks on the rim.

Lambert