The Soviet Quiz, started by Christophe ran for a few years since 2006 and was extremely active and a great success. It did however die down over time due to a number of reasons:
- Questions asked were at times too complicated as they required composite multi-answer replies;
- Questions at times covered areas that were way too obscure and therefore they limited the number of possible respondents severely and thus slowed down the tempo of the quiz;
- Members would post questions without bothering to follow up on their queries;
- Members would be too busy to set questions and not pass these on to other members when they could not reply.
The rules were as follows:
All Forum members are eligible to participate, but there needs to be a few ground (and "classical") rules so there is no confusion among Forum members.
1. Discuss only one trivia item at a time so as not to confuse what is being discussed with other Forum members.
2. Once a Forum member guesses the correct trivia question, that member can then post their trivia question. Or if they wish can pass it on to another Forum member. [PROPOSED ADDITION - IF THE QUESTION IS NOT SET WITHIN 48 HOURS OF REPLY THE NEXT QUESTION WILL INSTEAD BE ASKED BY A QUIZ HOST]
In line with this please consider that as a participant, you should consider coming up with a question or two (or more) to keep handy should you win which will help keep the momentum going.
3. To ensure we keep this thread friendly, there should be no heckling, bantering, quarreling or arguing with another person when he or she does not correctly answer the trivia question. Never forget we are amongst Gentlemen and Ladies.
4. The trivia question must have a connection to something in post 1945 (Post WW2) Germany (however not DDR as that is in it's own section) ie: from post 1945 up to the present day, as it is the purpose of this section. [PROPOSED ADDITION - THE QUESTION MUST HAVE A CLEAR ANSWER - A DATE, AN EVENT, A STORY - IT SHOULD NOT HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS BUT SHOULD ENCOURAGE ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND TO THE ANSWER. QUIZ HOSTS MAY REQUEST A MEMBER TO NARROW DOWN THE SCOPE OF THE QUESTION IF TOO MUCH INFORMATION IS REQUESTED. QUESTIONS SHOULD ALSO NOT BE TOO OBSCURE AND SHOULD BE READILY RESEARCHABLE (primarily on the web) WITHOUT TOO MUCH DIFFICULTY]
5. When the question is answered, the original poster should give [ADDITIONAL] background about the fact, the person, the item in question [WHEN CONFIRMING THE REPLY AS CORRECT].
6. [ADDITIONAL RULE: IF IT SO HAPPENS THAT THE PERSON ASKING THE QUESTION WILL BE AWAY FOR A NUMBER OF DAYS, HE IS TO INDICATE THIS AND TO PASS THE ANSWER TO ONE OF THE HOSTS OR ANOTHER MEMBER THUS ENSURING THAT UPON CORRECT REPLY, THE QUIZ MAY PROCEED]
Should anyone have further suggestions that will make the game more accessible and easier to play, please go ahead - This is the time and place for such suggestions.
Dan and Paul
Edited by Hauptmann, 03 August 2011 - 00:24 .