News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE MEDAL: several case studies

This thread (and several others) was created as continuation of this thread

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/46394-florence-nightingale-medal/

.............................................................................................................................................................

At last! I find some nice examples of this rare award from different time periods. Let’s take a close look at these beauties.

First will be this nice old piece from 1931 awarded to Maria Modrgenska. I wasn’t able to find any info on this Lady.

Next will be the award from 1975 to Julia Nenko. I’ve been luckier with this Lady ;) Nurse Julia Nenko was born in 1903 in Krakow, Poland. In 1922 she graduated from Krakow Nurse training school. From 1922 till 1939 she worked in one of the Krakow hospitals. From September 1939 worked in military hospital 401. After the capitulation of Poland she came (via Romania) to Egypt. Her experience was more than useful during heavy bombing of Alexandria. She was everywhere: Alexandria, Palestine, Iraq, Tobruk, Monte Cassino. After the end of war she worked for 2 years abroad (one year in England and one year in Switzerland) and only in 1947 returned back to Krakow. Julia Nenko died in 1983.

On the reverse of suspension we see two marks: stylized “Huguenin” (above the pin) and 0,925 and HF (under the pin). Reverse of the medal (at the very bottom) also marked with 0,925 and HF. It seems that Huguenin-Le Locle-Suisse is the main (the only one?) manufacturer of this medal nowadays.

In addition to Florence Nightingale Medal Julia Nenko was awarded with

Krzyż Kawalerski Orderu Odrodzenia Polski

Srebrny Krzyż Zasługi z Mieczami

Złota Odznaka związku Pracowników Służby Zdrowia

Odznaka Grunwaldzka

Cross Monte Cassino

Medal Wojska Polskiego

Medal „Zwycięstwa i Wolności”

Africa Star

Italy star

1939-1945 Star

1939-1945 War Medal

Defense Medal

Edited by JapanX

And the last case study. This medal was issued between 2000 and 2005 and awarded to russian doctor.

No additional info besides first name of recipient.

Edited by JapanX

• 6 years later...

From My collection 

All lot form one person Maria Louisa Torres de la Cruz nurse and than president of the Red Cross Chile.

1. International Red Cross Florens Nightingel  

2. International Red Cross Henry Dunan

3. Spain Red Cross

4. Venecuela Red Cross

5. Panama Red Cross 

all others Red Cross Chile                                 

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by jovanmara

Thank you jovenmara for sharing this very important group with us!    And, of course, thanks to Nick for his present and earlier work on this award.

For reference ease, this thread should note the Turkish Nurse Safiye Hüseyin Elbi with TWM thread also discussing a FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE MEDAL recipient in addition to the threads Nick lists earlier.