News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"The Turkish War Medal" - A Book Review

Mike M

Just received the book "the Turkish War Medal" by Demir Erman and was rather impressed with his work. I collect Turkish war medals, but had been put off by the lack of reference material on the subject. The book is a solf covered one and rather inexpensive but the author has put his heart and soul into the effort. Quite a bit of background material on the turkish military establishment and the thought that went into establishing the medal. Good sections on the comparison of the turkish medal to the German and Austrian variations, the packaging of the medal, and the various award certificates. Definitely gives the beginner collector a basis to begin his colllection in an intelligent manner at a low investment price. Well recommended for the money.

Thanks Mike,for your nice comments on my book.

I tried my best to write a book which would be useful to the TWM admirers.

Apart from Dr. K. G. Klietmann's work there was no research book about the Turkish War Medal. I hope this book will be covering every subject about the Turkish made War Medal. I tried to give all the information that I managed to found about the Medal.

As I mentioned in the preface of the book,

" my fellow Gentleman’s Military Interest Club Members (GMIC); Chris Boonzaier for permitting to publish the hand written War Medal German document and Terry Gest, Matthew Calderone, Muhittin Akdeniz for the pictures of the War Medal and other Members for threading on this subject on the Club’s website, "

the threads and questions of the GMIC Members also was an incentive to write it.

Thanks again,

Demir

Hello Humberto,

Yes you can directly get in touch with me. More details in GMIC New Classified Sales Area

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/classifieds/item/66-the-turkish-war-medal-harp-madalyasi-by-m-demir-erman/

or my Blog in GMIC

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/blog/31/entry-103-the-turkish-war-medal-gallipoli-medal-harp-madalyasi/

Regards

Demir

I found Demir's book on TWM's excellent. From a historical prospective he dealt with good explanations that got to the point. This enabled me to get the background on the things that needed to be covered without long boring explanations. In addition he covered photos of documents, cases and various packets. Excellent photos of TWM's of Turkey and German origin and their manufacturing differences to include the hinges, pins and clasps. There were several examples to compare and lust after. This type of reference was long overdue and Demir has now filled that void. Demir was able to create one book that is bilingual from English to Turkish. Thank you Demir for providing a long overdue reference on one of our favorite awards. Thank you Demir for your fine reference.

I have received and read this very comprehensive and accessible and almost complete monography with great interest. It filled a gap in my library and I am grateful that Demir took it upon him to examine this decoration and share his knowledge with the world wide community.

However, I have been looking for the numbers of awards made (to Turkish recipients, to Germans and others) because that puts a medal or decoration into perspective.

The book also refers to the Imtiyaz and Liyakat Medals, which gives it an extra dimension; this chapter tingles my appetite for more information, like numbers issued, variations, sizes, awards to non-Ottoman recipients, etc. (perhaps another project?).

As a writer about medals and military subjects I realize that nothing is perfect, but striving for perfection kills the publication of final output, because 100% is impossible. Once closed, new and other interesting facts appear, but the author has a final. Therefore Demir, I hope that this success will encourage you to exhibit more information about the Ottoman medals and decorations, I want it all!

Carry on Demir!

Edited by Odulf

I found Demir's book on TWM's excellent. From a historical prospective he dealt with good explanations that got to the point. This enabled me to get the background on the things that needed to be covered without long boring explanations. In addition he covered photos of documents, cases and various packets. Excellent photos of TWM's of Turkey and German origin and their manufacturing differences to include the hinges, pins and clasps. There were several examples to compare and lust after. This type of reference was long overdue and Demir has now filled that void. Demir was able to create one book that is bilingual from English to Turkish. Thank you Demir for providing a long overdue reference on one of our favorite awards. Thank you Demir for your fine reference.

Thanks Rocky,

Although I already thank you in the acknowledgements of the book, I would like to thank you again for your contributions and giving me the motivation..., :jumping:

Regards

Demir

I have received and read this very comprehensive and accessible and almost complete monography with great interest. It filled a gap in my library and I am grateful that Demir took it upon him to examine this decoration and share his knowledge with the world wide community.

However, I have been looking for the numbers of awards made (to Turkish recipients, to Germans and others) because that puts a medal or decoration into perspective.

The book also refers to the Imtiyaz and Liyakat Medals, which gives it an extra dimension; this chapter tingles my appetite for more information, like numbers issued, variations, sizes, awards to non-Ottoman recipients, etc. (perhaps another project?).

As a writer about medals and military subjects I realize that nothing is perfect, but striving for perfection kills the publication of final output, because 100% is impossible. Once closed, new and other interesting facts appear, but the author has a final. Therefore Demir, I hope that this success will encourage you to exhibit more information about the Ottoman medals and decorations, I want it all!

Carry on Demir!

Hi,

When I discussed my book project with you in Amsterdam, the month was I believe December 2010 or January 2011, long time ago, I was in the early stages of writing. It was just before you finished your article titled "De Keizerlijke Osmaanse oorlogsdecorative van 1915" in the Dutch magazine "Wereld in Oorlog" (number 9 in the sources section of my book) which was really a big contribution to the TWM community, you kindly encouraged me to continue on writing.

The problem what you are asking now is several but the main two are: 1. I don't know old Arabic script Turkish, so I need somebody to translate them for me (Which I used this option in this book) 2. After the end of the war, it was hard to follow the track of the medals awarded especially by the German commanders after the armistice 30 October 1918 as mentioned in the book (page 35). Still, I will try to find out when I go to Istanbul Ottoman Archives.

For the other medals there are 2 perfect well written books by Edhem Eldem (the History of Ottoman Order and Medals) and Metin Erüreten (Ottoman Medals and Orders - History and Documents).

Thanks for your kind remarks :)

Regards

Demir

Edited by demir

Hi,

When I discussed my book project with you in Amsterdam, the month was I believe December 2010 or January 2011, long time ago, I was in the early stages of writing. It was just before you finished your article titled "De Keizerlijke Osmaanse oorlogsdecorative van 1915" in the Dutch magazine "Wereld in Oorlog" (number 9 in the sources section of my book) which was really a big contribution to the TWM community, you kindly encouraged me to continue on writing.

The problem what you are asking now is several but the main two are: 1. I don't know old Arabic script Turkish, so I need somebody to translate them for me (Which I used this option in this book) 2. After the end of the war, it was hard to follow the track of the medals awarded especially by the German commanders after the armistice 30 October 1918 as mentioned in the book (page 35). Still, I will try to find out when I go to Istanbul Ottoman Archives.

For the other medals there are 2 perfect well written books by Edhem Eldem (the History of Ottoman Order and Medals) and Metin Erüreten (Ottoman Medals and Orders - History and Documents).

Thanks for your kind remarks :)

Regards

Demir

Just received and read (and re-read) Demir's book a superbly put together book that must have involved a gargantuan amount of research and dispels many "urban myths" related to the medal. It is nice to see so much meticulous detail, were all medal research books as good as this. I think Demir ought to get a special GMIC award and I hope he is working on other projects relating to Turkish awards. If you haven't got one get it.

All the best,

Paul

Dear Brother Demir ,

Thank you very much for sending me your book. I just wish to congratulate you from my heart regarding this successful project.

Honestly it is a very nice work.

I strongly recommend it to anyone whom interest with Turkish Orders & Medals !

Best Regards ,

Avsar IBAR

Demir,

Instead of trying Başbakanlık Arşivi, you need to apply to Milli Savunma Bakanlığı Arşiv Müdürlüğü (Minstry of DefenseArchive) Lodumlu-Ankara. Most of the personal and logistical documents are deposited in this archive. If you still wish to try your chances at The Başbakanlık Arşivi than take a look at the finance related registers. For every year the ministry of defense asked for the release of the money for the production of medals. And if the money was not enough to cover the expese they would asked for more. I remembered coming across official letters for additional money to cover the costs of medals exceeding the planned figures.

Regards

Hi,

I don't understand why you are suggesting this but,

in the beginning I also applied to the Ministry of Defense, Directorate of Archives, and I got a letter saying that they have no information about the War Medal and I had to apply Prime Ministry General Directorate of State Archives, Head of Section for Ottoman Archive in Istanbul, but I found every thing that I am looking for in the State Archive in Ankara because I was only looking for the regulations and they have the old Officials Gazettes in their library.

If you are suggesting this in order to find the number of the medals that was issued, it is another project of mine if I manage to find a help like I had in Ankara, who can read old Ottoman documents since they are written in old script ( Arabic script).

Regards

Demir

Hi,

I got it too, it is excelent. It brings the facts especially to those still using strange names like Galipoli Star, EiserneHalbmond etc.

Regards

Jan

Thanks Jan,

Regards

Demir

Hi,

I would like to add 4 clasps (ANNEX 3 of the book) which were somehow lost during the process of reading, re-reading and arranging the pictures.

Galicya (Galicia), Romanya (Romania), Sakarya (The name of the battle during the Independence War 23 August-13 September 1921) and Tarblusgarp (Tripoli).

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. (May be because of this reason they were not included! :banger: )

Regards

Demir

PS: Bottom right Tripoli

Edited by demir

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Demir,

Thanks for your wonderful book which arrived yesterday - just in time for ANZAC Day. I finally have an answer to something that has been perplexing me for awhile - the reason for the difference between the poorer quality painted medals and the richly enameled ones.

I enjoyed it immensely and found the section on the history of the Ottoman Empire and Turkey's experience in WWI particularly interesting. Many English language histories gloss over the fact that Turkey was caught in the middle of two sides. The Western powers had plotted to carve up the admitedly moribund Ottoman Empire. Germany then made her entry into the war inevitable by ordering the Goeben to shell Russia.

The pictures are sharp and crisp, the explanations very comprehensive. Congratulations on the book.

Any thoughts about writing something similar on the Order of Medjidie and Osmanie? I have Erureten and Tarihi's excellent book on Ottoman Medals and Orders. Unfortunately for me, most of the explanations / statutes are in Turkish or Arabic.

Gavin

• 4 weeks later...

This book is a must for anyone interested in the Turkish War Medal. It provides a wealth of background material wrt the award including a look at the decrees that established it. The book has a picture of the prototype award as per the decree which, thank God, they did not adopt. The book shows numerous examples, both awarded types and the enamelled versions favored by European recipiants. The book also explains the campaign bars that we find attached to the ribbons. A nice, concise read. This book is chock full of facts and no fluff.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

For the Gentlemen who have the book, I would like to give the ERRATA list:

ENGLISH ERRATA LIST:

Page/line/footnote

Original text

Corrected text

35/29/

.. von Sanders and by coincedence…..

… von Sanders and by coincidence…..

52/18/

Foreigners usually worn the medal …