News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Orders Marks : Order of the Patriotic War

In addition to the famous “МОНДВОР”, “Мондвор” or “Монетный двор” marks collectors sometimes find additional marks on soviet orders. These additional marks could be divided in two categories:

• personal marks
    • (so-called) technical marks.

Personal master’s marks were used in USSR (by the force of inertia? tradition?) in the best Imperial Russia traditions. Most often they could be found on Labor Red Banner Orders and Badge of Honor Orders. Usually these are two letter marks (rarer variant – one letter mark).

Here comes the list of some of the most common personal marks.

• Replies 174
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

List of personal marks

АБ

АК

АЛ

Б

БА

ББ

БР

ВА

ВИ

ВК

ВО

ГВ

ГО

ГР

ГУ

ДО

ЕЕ

К

КЕ

КР

О

ОМ

ПО

РВ

С

СВ

СЕ

СО

СР

ТР

ЧЕ

ЧС

Ф

Meaning of personal marks is obvious.

Essentially they are personal “signature” of the master.

Technical marks meaning is not that obvious (at least for me) …

It is believed that they were used by mint in multistage quality control process or/and as technological tips (for fitting different elements of the order for example).

There is a great variety of these technological marks.

Sometimes these marks are letters (N, X, T, F, J..), sometimes they are numbers (1,7…) and sometimes they are just symbols. I think it will be very interesting to take a look at these interesting technical marks on the Order of Patriotic War. Many images of different marks I borrowed from exellent and highly recommended book Бойко В.Д. (2007) Орден отечественной войны I и II степени. Киев, Издательство ЧП “Март”./Boyko V.D. (2007) Order of the Patriotic War I and II class. Kiev, ЧП “Март” Publishing.

First will be this interesting and commonly encountered mark in the form of small "o".

Interesting that this mark very often could be found on Mongolian Orders of Red Banner ;)

Edited by JapanX

Another interesting group of technical marks that could be found on Porder of the Patriotic War could be called "symbolic marks"

Here we have pictures of some of them.

Mark that resembles 1 ?