News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bonjour,

A interesting Colonial ribbonbar, with some rare clasps :

- 1914 EK-II,

- Militär Ehrenzeichen 2. kl,

- Sachsen Meiningen mit Schwerter Spange "Afrika" (about 20 awarded), without the medal,

- Landwehr DA 2. kl,

- DA 15 Jähre,

- Kolonial Denkmünze mit Spange "Deutsch Neuguinea 1913",

- DSWA Denkmünze mit Spange "Grossnamaland" u. "Hereroland".

Crdl

Thierry

• 1 year later...

Thierry, sorry I am really late to this discussion. I was wondering how you know that the Afrika bar is from Saxe-Meiningen. I am not disputing you, just wondering how you can tell which of the Saxon duchies the bar came from. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I was wondering how you know that the Afrika bar is from Saxe-Meiningen. I am not disputing you, just wondering how you can tell which of the Saxon duchies the bar came from. Thanks for any help you can give me.

The difference between Sachsen-Meiningen and Sachsen-Altenburg are the following:

Sachsen-Altenburg had no lettering (for example Afrika)

and note also the swords handles! Those swords of Sachsen-Altenburg look more like sabers...

...or rather the swords handles are curved and those curved swords handles are outside of the clasp plate.

Perhaps VtwinVince can post his nice Sachsen-Altenburger-colonial-medal-bar for demonstrating the last point.

Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha had only swords on the ribbon. For example Sergeant Spittel:

So the discussed "Ernestiner" on the nice colonial medal bar in this thread is definetly an award from Sachsen-Meiningen

Best wishes

Karsten

Thanks Karsten, that is helpful. I will try and find the Schnalle you are thinking of.

Thanks a lot that would be helpful.

Here is the SDA-Link with your bar:

http://h1797427.stratoserver.net/public_html/wbb3/board3-3/board9-deutsche-auszeichnungsgruppen-und-ordensschnallen-bis-1918/58429-hilfe-mit-restaurieren/

Best wishes

Karsten

• 3 years later...

Hello guys, Cheston Davis here. New to the club/forum.. I was surfing the net and saw this Southwest Afrika/ colonial German page and was fascinated. I have in my collection which to me was a mysterious item that I picked up  over ten years ago. As per reading your discussions about a similar clasp to saxe-meiningen. I attaching a picture of it now. By what I gather from your conversations, it's a clasp for service in Afrika, but mine has no swords attached; so would this be for a non-combatant? Look forward to more information. 5a2357d840919_unknownafrikaclasp.png.28d9356236cc48a6e7d74977fa56a243.png5a23586825ca1_unknownafrikaclaspBACK.thumb.png.ddfa57415769b9d342fdcf3a82bb2a13.png

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 19:53, cwdts said:

Hello guys, Cheston Davis here. New to the club/forum.. I was surfing the net and saw this Southwest Afrika/ colonial German page and was fascinated. I have in my collection which to me was a mysterious item that I picked up  over ten years ago. As per reading your discussions about a similar clasp to saxe-meiningen. I attaching a picture of it now. By what I gather from your conversations, it's a clasp for service in Afrika, but mine has no swords attached; so would this be for a non-combatant? Look forward to more information. 

Hello Cheston;

Welcome to GMIC!  Thanks for showing your clasp.  You correctly linked the "Afrika" clasp with the Sächsische Herzogtümer medal.  This medal also had a sword clasp for "China" service.  According to DOE (Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen 1800-1945 by Nimmergut) both of these clasps came with swords.  There was no known "no sword" clasp version.

I have my doubts about your clasp, not just because there are no swords, but because the kerning is different from known examples.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi cwdts,

"kerning" is a typographical terms and denots the distance between letters and/ or words (in short and simplified terms), so that the distances between them look the same and thererfore pleasant to the eye though due to the different width of the letters the gaps between them are not all the same.

GreyC